World Record Attempt For Miles Ridden in 24 Hours.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, you beat me to it! I figure that's why he was referring to his bike getting "tired" at only 27k.Premonition of a final drive failure? Or his excuse if it does?

Tough run, I don't care who you are...Best of luck to Carl. Looking forward to a FJR rider throwing down and beating it soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only significant thing about this thread is that SkooterG posted it.

Otherwise... it's pretty hard to believe nobody has done more than this on a closed course. It's not a very high average.

Maybe Greg will try for it on one of his 200k mile 2004 FJRs? That would be sumpin'

I wonder how long the tire change will take? Gas probably 4 or 5 minutes for both tanks unless he doesn't mind splashing fuel around (includes slow-down and getting back up to speed).

As staff at a rally held in central Nevada, I've personally certified three FJR riders with 24 hour mileage totals that exceed this 'world record', using procedures approved by the leading long distance motorcycle certification organization.
I can only imagine the mileage totals that those riders could have completed on a closed course.
Wow, on the open road, they averaged well over 85 per hour for 24 hours?? Thats a full day of hauling ass with stops.

Sounds slabby as shit, but still quite a thing.

I wonder how long the tire change will take?
My guess is that the tire has to be changed because it's all left (or right) turns on a closed course.

Obviously he is NOT on a FJR, or the 27k comment (and the closed course) would not be needed.

Seems like a waste of gas (and a day) IMHO.

It sounds like he has spare wheels, if the K1600 has a single sided swing arm that's probably a 2 minute change...it appears he has a shitload of support for fuel changes, in helmet communications, and making hot coffee....if it's a closed course he could run it backwards at each fuel stop to even out the tire wear.....kinda boring ride to me, but to each their own.......ff

As staff at a rally held in central Nevada, I've personally certified three FJR riders with 24 hour mileage totals that exceed this 'world record', using procedures approved by the leading long distance motorcycle certification organization.

I can only imagine the mileage totals that those riders could have completed on a closed course.
Wow, on the open road, they averaged well over 85 per hour for 24 hours?? Thats a full day of hauling ass with stops.

Sounds slabby as shit, but still quite a thing.
The rides I mentioned were either completely non-Interstate, or had a < 5% Interstate segment. In Central Nevada, you don't need Interstates to make fast miles - just talent and a well-prepped bike.

Besides what Skooterg said...Uvalde is a very different beast than the roads of Utah and Nevada. I can't tell whether it is amenable to serious record run (as people alluded to...it ain't anywhere in the neighborhood of 2043) is doable or hard.

I did give Mr.Reese some info so that he's aware of other efforts, he said thanks, and I wished him luck!

Watching his well publicized efforts....

So reading back over the article, I'm guessing if this goes off without too many problems he won't admit it but it should be a ride a lot easier than his LA to New York in under 39 hours. Think of all the mental stress out on the roads vs. an 8.5 mile closed course. He goes around the track 235 times he's at 2000 miles. It's a big enough course to probably not hypnotize you to sleep like a smaller one would, and without much of a worry except maybe bunnies and birds, just relax and zone out. No idiot motorists to worry about, no worries about people stealing your shit while you hop into the bathroom and leave the bike unattended, no RADAR GUNS... lots of stressful things eliminated. Kudos to him for lining it up, but again the difficulty wouldn't compare to doing it on the open road.

I'm pretty sure someone here averaged 110mph over a 24hr period. A long time ago, on an FJR with more than 27k miles.on it, and not on a closed course. I don't know why, but I think this guy is a douche. I think many of us, with an aux tank could spank him. An average of 85mph on a closed track is nothing spectacular.

Maybe he just wants to make it into the Guinness Record Book. Plain and simple. Doesn't matter if it has been done multiple times before with higher mileage than what he is attempting. This does seem fueled first and foremost by a desire for fame and then maybe some other motivations perhaps resembling something noble.

So says Puppy McJudgyPants.

I've already forgotten his name. I do remember that he is making the attempt on a BMW. Maybe he can persuade them to provide a new bike for giving them the free publicity.
coolsmiley02.gif

Saw where it costs $20k for the track rental, there's some huge bond that has to be put down, and there are fees for on-side emergency staff. This along with the BMW makes it clear it's about his name in lights.

Maybe he could stay on the bike for 1000 days and break David Zien's claim of 2,000,000 lifetime miles
no.gif
umnik.gif
lol.gif
lol2.gif
sleepysmileyanim.gif

It does take all kinds.

One interesting comment: "My bike's getting a little old now, I think it's got about 27,000 miles (43,452 km) on it, so I don't want to push it too hard, either."I wonder what's up with that?
Concerned that he's riding a BMW out of warranty?

I sure hope Guiness puts it the in the "closed course "record category, much different than IBR records, (which I feel are the "real" records).

I sure hope Guiness puts it the in the "closed course "record category, much different than IBR records, (which I feel are the "real" records).
1. Guinness doesn't certify non-closed courses where the speed limit might be exceeded.

2. It's not actually "IBR". The IBR is the Iron Butt Rally and is a competition among about 100 riders every odd year. The Iron Butt Association or IBA certifies a variety of rides that don't focus on speed like the Saddle Sore (1000 miles in 24 hours).

3. The IBA doesn't, won't, and shouldn't certify any ride that excessive speed is demonstrated including this one. The highest amount they'll certify is 1800 in a 24 hours period....which is doable mathematically on some roads in the U.S.