World Record Attempt For Miles Ridden in 24 Hours.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unofficial mileage is 2119 according to his odometer. He believes that will comfortably validate as a Guiness record for mileage in 24 hours on a bike...and I would imagine it would. It's safe to say there 5-6 other rides that have mileage in excess of this one, but different critters.

If I counted a quick pan-shot to the a tire pile, he went through 5 rear and 3 front tires! The final one was missing chunks that he pointed out....interesting. He was out of rear tires and had one unused front one.

So I just heard reports that this guy is stopping to eat off the bike and that at the 11th hour he got off his bike and went into his trailer for a nap....
WTF???
I really think this Carl needs to make a trip out to NV in May. He's in need of an education.

And now his "High Mileage" BMW is ready for the bone yard.

I have a question as far as the tire wear for the riders that have done 2k+. What was your tire wear like?

I know at 85+ mph for 24 hours that I could get by with one set of PR2s. So I am guessing the tire wear hugely increases at +120 mph?

Were the Nevada routes fairly straight stretches?

Last edited by a moderator:
And now his "High Mileage" BMW is ready for the bone yard.I have a question as far as the tire wear for the riders that have done 2k+. What was your tire wear like?

I know at 85+ mph for 24 hours that I could get by with one set of PR2s. So I am guessing the tire wear hugely increases at +120 mph?

Were the Nevada routes fairly straight stretches?
Here's a sample of the roads in Central Nevada, showing the route from Alamo, NV to Tonopah, NV using the ET Highway. Other road sections in the area are similar.

There are long stretches of straights (although these have some elevation changes), with a few sweeping turns. In the section just east of Tonopah (with the green background), there are 8-10 miles of tighter curves through a mountain section.

For a motivated rider, you can easily cut 60+ minutes off of Google Maps overly conservative time estimate - just keep an eye out for free range cattle on the roadway...

0M7epbj.jpg

The long straight stretches on NV-375 may look a little boring, but at the speeds you can run there, it's anything but.

So I just heard reports that this guy is stopping to eat off the bike and that at the 11th hour he got off his bike and went into his trailer for a nap....
WTF???
I wonder if that's a function of the insurance they got as part of track rental. Insurance was the demise of many rallies in the early 2000s.

From the article....

"Did you expect to break the record by such a huge margin?
Honestly, I really wanted to break 2800 miles in 24 hours. I think we can do it. However our small budget didn't allow additional tires. I think I maxed out every credit card I have on this one. If a bike manufacturer ever wants to sponsor me, our team could really lay down some records for for them. Harley Davidson, Lightning Motorcycles, Motus, Honda... Call me!"
Sorry but I just think the guy seems a little d-baggy. To get 2119 then say with more money you'd get over 2800. Really? 700 more miles than you just did? Just be humble and happy with your record. Also, I wouldn't call 93 miles a 'huge margin'..... And finally if major companies are going to sponsor a record like this, they'll likely get a super-fit and young just retired racer to sit on the seat.

From the article....
"Did you expect to break the record by such a huge margin?
Honestly, I really wanted to break 2800 miles in 24 hours. I think we can do it. However our small budget didn't allow additional tires. I think I maxed out every credit card I have on this one. If a bike manufacturer ever wants to sponsor me, our team could really lay down some records for for them. Harley Davidson, Lightning Motorcycles, Motus, Honda... Call me!"
Sorry but I just think the guy seems a little d-baggy. To get 2119 then say with more money you'd get over 2800. Really? 700 more miles than you just did? Just be humble and happy with your record. Also, I wouldn't call 93 miles a 'huge margin'..... And finally if major companies are going to sponsor a record like this, they'll likely get a super-fit and young just retired racer to sit on the seat.
Don't know?

Sit on a bike and go round and round for 24 hours.

Don't think I could do it. Probably go to sleep and fall off.

He needed to be a darksider to really do anything impressive...sorry. Closed course...yawn...support staff....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Well, I couldn't do it, and wouldn't want to if I could, but it's still a feat. But I just found out the other day that Clearwater Lights was one of his sponsors (check out the TWO sets of those big 7-led "Sevinas" mounted on his bars and forks. No wonder he could see that pig at 3 a.m.). Turns out Glenn from Clearwater and his wife Darlene were both volunteers on the crew for this event too. If you click on one of the pics in the article it opens up more pics of the bike and the event. Darlene's the one woman visible in the shots. She was an AMA tech inspector for several years--so no stranger to the track.

(LOL @ Tony's H-D comment, btw)
laugh.png