World Record Attempt For Miles Ridden in 24 Hours.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure hope Guiness puts it the in the "closed course "record category, much different than IBR records, (which I feel are the "real" records).
3. The IBA doesn't, won't, and shouldn't certify any ride that excessive speed is demonstrated including this one. The highest amount they'll certify is 1800 in a 24 hours period....which is doable mathematically on some roads in the U.S.
Are those some of those "alternative facts" I keep hearing about? 😀

My best is 1,880 in 23 hours 45 minutes. I was a tick over 79mph total average and a wee bit over 88mph moving average. I did that on interstates between Reno and the MSP area in 2006. I think he should have no problem carrying 15 gallons of fuel and a complete support team at his disposal on a closed course. I was trying to make the run while not getting a lecture or performance certificate from John Law. In the west I think it would be a tad easier as there are many states to have raised their speed limits since then.

From my experience the last 5 hours in the 24 hour run is the worst...I was running on energy drinks just trying to stay awake. And I was a lot younger then too!

Carl's about 3 hours into his run and I estimate he's doing a 109 mph average. The two sources I can find are a YouTube feed at

that you see him go by every 4-5 minutes and an audio feed that is sporadic for me but has his voice and a ground support person....maybe his wife.

https://mixlr.com/carl-reese/

I wish him well and a safe ride. I know I would not be capable of this feat even with an enormous support crew the way I like to take little napskis while driving.
uhoh.gif

Just watched him go by. No smoke pouring out of the BMW final drive, yet. While waiting for the four two second appearance at the next lap, you can watch the grass growing beside the track for even more excitement!!!

I wish him well with whatever he is trying to prove.

Looks like they are getting ready for a tire change - seems early for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
One side of rear tire gone in 450 miles. Probably going to need another three rear tires - front probably good for much longer.

I am really wondering about this course and tires that he is riding. Seems like a lot of down time for tire swaps compared to say maybe… running a duel compound

tire. I found the Roadsmart 2 was a good compromise between grip and wear. Perhaps reversing his direction would be beneficial? Or maybe I am blowing smoke

and he is actually using the down time for rest.

I am really wondering about this course and tires that he is riding. Seems like a lot of down time for tire swaps compared to say maybe… running a duel compoundtire. I found the Roadsmart 2 was a good compromise between grip and wear. Perhaps reversing his direction would be beneficial? Or maybe I am blowing smoke

and he is actually using the down time for rest.
I think that the tire supplier is a major sponsor so he probably doesn't have a choice on brand but running in the opposite direction for half the time should certainly extend tire life.

I don't think he has a tire sponsor. And I think he's using more than he thought he would. I had heard he was going to alternate directions, but since they're changing tires at stops I don't think they are doing that strategy. Since there swapping rims, they could remount tires 180 on that spare rim in the pits and then put it back on the bike to use it up.

His average is drooped again 3 hours later and only averaging 96. As days warm up they get more buffety...until the sun goes down.

I figured since it was a Continental Tire track and the statement from the original website "I'm using Continental Road Attack 2s, EVO GT, because they recently won an award for wet traction. " meant they were sponsoring. Checked the website again and no specific mention of them as a sponsor but the scrolling line at the bottom of the YouTube link includes Continental Tire. With the first rear tire done at 450 miles, they may not want to use this as advertising for their Road Attack 2.

I've watched the link long enough to see him pass if he were going to. Is this going well?

It would be a lot more interesting if the camera were on the bike instead of on a tripod.

Another person I know....that's in the know confirmed they do have a tire sponsor. I was wrong.

That said, the current track record holder, Bushy McLevy, went through something like 15 tires. It was only a 1-2 mile track, but turning on tracks seems to REALLY kill tires compared to Nevada desert runs.

He's been running mid 90s for some time. I think he's settling for a closed course record...not the absolute motorcycle record...which most on this forum is way more miles led by several FJRs. ;)

That map link shows his pin in a fixed position. Did the bike die? Is he ok?
15 minutes is longest I've seen him stopped..fuel and tire changes have usually been 5-7 minutes...not sure.
Edit: 16:45 CST moving again. 20 minutes sitting kills theses kinds of extreme runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw him ride by on utube. When I 1st looked at this earlier today I saw his crew hunched over on the track thought he had crashed, they were just getting a tire ready. I also just saw a headline on yahoo, man dies while doing 24 hour world record, but it was in online video gaming, that must be a rough sport!

So how much cash would it cost me to shut down a 1000 mile stretch of I-90 (MN-WA) for 24 hours?I do mean SHUT DOWN (NO LEOs). :punk:
Why? You just need to come to Alamo in May! Doug hosts a great event and FJRs are celebrities there. $42 hotel room and grilled steaks on Sunday night...super-duper cheap and arguably better than a track or shut down public road.