Wrecked the '15 already

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redfish, I am very sorry to hear about this. I am with others regarding black ice being the cause, it is very unforgiving.

We all know how terrible you must feel, rib included, but as they say time heals all things. Soon both your rib and the FJR will be back in great shape.

Please stay positive, we are all pulling for you.

Redfish, really sorry to hear about your crash. The upside is that your well enough to be able to report it. Thanks for sharing the pics and reminding us of the importance of gear...

" I was proud to answer their questions regarding my helmet and lack of road rash . Is it worth it to ATGATT?"

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

This hurts to think about. I'm thinking that as much as the rib hurts, there are other hurts you are feeling that are even greater. We all just wish you the best buddy. Just get it fixed and reintroduce yourself to it. You will love that 15 even more over time as you twist that throttle and see all the sights.

We're here for you man,

Now hand me a beer and move over, yer blocking the TV.

:D

RFH, I know you feel sick about the bike. It can be fixed. Glad you are ok. Get the bike and yourself back in good shape and we can do some riding.

My friend, let me extend my heartfelt wishes for your speedy recovery. You've got some friends here - it's nice to see how many people support you.

I'm proud of you for ATGATT - with the weather the way it was, it's reasonable to expect ANYONE to be wearing gear on Friday. But you walk the walk - we dress out when it's 97 outside as well because we never know when the unexpected comes along. It's going to be expensive, but you should strongly consider replacing your helmet or at a minimum, get the manufacturer's rep to bless it. Those are "one-time use" items - it did it's job. I'm not surprised to see your jacket rash/tear. All three times I've fallen, my jacket rashed where the reinforced material and/or armor was located. The engineering in this stuff is incredible. My daughter can sew up that sleeve if you need some help. I'd be interested in seeing your gloves if you don't mind posting a pic.

The damage on the bike appears to be minimal. Can you verify the mirror wasn't hit? Are the seams on all of the plastic straight? That front stay piece always seems to get torqued even on a gentle tip over. Also, what about the bar end?

Oh Girard - have you got the paint code for Liquid Graphite? Give that some consideration - his paint work is FLAWLESS. My left bag repair is over 3 years now and NO one can tell the difference.

I can help you change the stator cover as well - it's not a big deal. I think the part is well less than $100.00.

I HIGHLY doubt black ice. We had well less than 6 hours of sub freezing temps. The ground and road temps would not allow anything frozen to even think about sticking. Plus, it had been dry (rain/precip) free for at least 3 days.

Now - wet/damp leaves OTOH....... Or maybe gravel? Or some grease/oil that wasn't visible in the dark (REAL dark)?

After my last off, a friend suggested that I go back to the scene of the crime. Get out of the vehicle, walk over to the accident location, and look at it from several different angles. Visualize what you did wrong. Then visualize what you need to do next time. I can tell you that this ABSOLUTELY helps and works in the recovery process (the mental one).

But that can wait. Right now - rest up and take good care. I'm only a phone call away if you need anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
some say scars decorate a man, I would say it also decorates the bike, gives it some character. I have few ugly ones on my bike, does not make it any bit less rideable. Everybody see it has been ridden! You can always fix it once before you sell, unless insurance will take care for it now.

Keep the morale up, RFH! What does not kill you, makes you stronger.

RH, You got our back here. The out pouring of support and good wishes is meant to speed up your mental recovery. The physical recovery will be left to the doctors and nature. As for the bike, it can be repaired Many have addressed black ice as the cause. My experience with black ice says it does not have to be below 32F to cause black ice formation. I recall getting out of the car in Portland, OR one night and it was 35F, the street looked dry, it had not rained in several days (odd for Portland), when the second foot hit the pavement I was on my ass!!

Consider the weather conditions and the new tires coupled with leaning over and acceleration and you have the perfect storm. In the dark and in an intersection, either one of these factors could cause the rear wheel to slip.

We all wish you a speedy recovery and hope the bike is restored to its Graphite glory. Hopefully this will help others avoid such an unfortunate experience.

Really sorry to hear about your bad luck. The whole story made me sick to my stomach. I realize from past postings how much you were looking forward to a new FJR. I am sure the future will be bringing smiles of happiness to you after the healing process is completed.

Really sorry to read about this Redfish.My best wishes for a quick recovery.

As for your new bike,do not feel bad,it will be done again brand new.

That just sucks. Sorry to hear this, but glad you will be well, as said many times, bike can be fixed. And yours isn't too bad (Always looks worse to you when she's yours) Heal fast!

Sometimes, no matter what you do, it just comes out wrong. It sounds like you did everything you should on a cold morning with new tires, but sometimes it just doesn't work.

I bet you rolled your thumb back as the bars came back in that low-side. The bars come back, you brace yourself, and your body goes forward. The thumb's not designed to go back that far.

If it doesn't get better quickly, get it x-rayed. You could have fractured that 2nd thumb joint -- voice of experience here.
rolleyes.gif

More than 70 replies to this thread and no one has said what they really want to say.

Enough with the "aw, shucks" and "that's too bad" and "get well soon" B.S. posts.

I'll be the first to HONESTLY reply to a post where a guy who's been crying about wanting an FJR for YEARS, and wrecks the damn thing in under 24 hours after taking possession.....

red-forman-dumbass.jpg

Yes agreed, personally I feel the factory tires are NO GOOD in cold weather until warmed up....

He's an experienced rider but his tires failed him...

Factory Bridgestones are horrendous ! And have no place on a bike that offers performance such as this, especially with the potential of cold weather riding...

I have been sitting here with my fingers over the keys trying to decide what to type. You guys have me overwhelmed. Mrs. Redfish has read this thread and is extremely impressed as well. All I can say is Thank You. Thank You, every one of you.

I have (of course) been replaying the crash over and over in my mind. I agree with Twigg that even the worst OEM tires should not have slipped that quickly. I think that the front went slightly before the rear which indicates "something" on the road. I cannot recall any other time when my tires completely, instantly lost all traction like this. I have "saved" slides before, this time I was much too slow.

As I see it my biggest mistake was not what I did at the crash site. Riding in the first place when I knew it was supposed to be at or below freezing was dumb. I have read about you Northerners riding with snow all around but I lack your experience with it. I was so amazed at how well the heated grips work and I was so excited to have the new bike. I felt and acted like a little kid. I was loving the new bike right up to the point it went down. I cannot blame the bike, the tires, or the weather. I should have left it parked at home. Now it is parked at home anyway.

I will fix it. Pop and I looked it over pretty good today. We don't think the subframe under the fairing is hurt, the mirror is still mounted very solidly. I will try to get it into the Yamaha shop Monday (tomorrow) and let them do an estimate. If it is possible I will do it myself, if not the insurance company will have to get involved. No Bounce, I do not have any intention of letting a bike this wonderful stay scratched up. I wanted a beautiful new FJR, I am going to have one.

That helmet is a few years old and has become my everyday helmet. I have a new Shoei Neotec that I love but I installed the Cardo Scala Rider in that one and have been keeping it for my rides with Pop. The old Nolan is good for the 9 mile work commute. I don't think it is badly hurt other than the face shield but we all know the rules with a crashed helmet. I was looking at replacing it soon anyway.

My gloves were Tourmaster midweight insulated, plain black leather. I could find no evidence that they touched anything which I found strange. My left Tourmaster boot is scuffed up on top of the toe, very noticeable. I don't remember how that happened and have no issues or pain anywhere other than my left ribcage area and right hand/thumb.

All things considered I am fortunate. The bike is fixable, I hope to only miss one night of work, and Mrs. Redfish has been very supportive. She does not like the motorcycle but she does seem to like me. And I have all of you to support me with words that are more appreciated than you know. In the end, RadioHowie hit the nail on the head. I was/am a Dumbass. But it will be okay.

I think maybe the difference between us "up north" and you, is we prepare the roads for the snow and ice. The roads around here have had the tell-tale brine stripes for several days now, just waiting for that white shit to start falling...like it is right now. Also, we're used to it and know a lot better where the limits exist. For me, I know the route I have to take to and from work if there's a chance of ice on the roads. The turn pike here is by far the best maintained route, always salted and plowed the second the snow starts falling and it takes me within 1/4 mile of the office. It's really boring, so I try not to use it on the good days, but anytime the weather is bad or I have to ride in the wee hours of the day, it's the road I choose.

Anyway, sorry about your new ride and your ribs. I broke two of those bastards right at the vertebrae back in '01 so I know how bad it hurts. Don't sneeze...or laugh...or cough. Heal up fast and get that bike fixed up.

Call your insurance now. They're gonna estimate around $1500 to fix that plastic. Replace that front fairing, have Garauld paint the bag, and buy a new helmet with the left over bag money. Simple.