Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those that haven't yet done their homework, here's a "By-the-Numbers comparo from Hell for Leather Magazine: Giant Adventure Tourer Showdown
Interesting article... :whistling:
Whoa SockMonkey, interesting article is a big understatement. Super Tenere has "non-defeatable ABS"! Folks, you won't SAFELY BE taking this huge Yamaha offroad!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on the Super Tenere and the topic of the left side (radiator assembly) fall down go boom situation. Check the accessories already on the Yamaha site for the bike. One is a full engine/fairing guard tube like assembly that looks a lot like what I'm accustomed to seeing as an aftermarket accessory for KLRs, etc.
I've got confidence in Yamaha not coming to this niche of the market with anything other than a state of the art Adventure bike. Heavy, low center of gravity, not inexpensive, lots of accessories available already for its intended use and probably able to hold its own against that competition regardless of price. Lotsa reasons I'd choose Yamaha over BMW or KTM even if it were exactly the same bike. I'd probably go with a man strom or a wee strom over either of those for the same reasons. But that's me and my preferences.
Except for the ABS and shaft drive, the DL1000 would do the highway miles just as good and do the same type of offroad stuff too. At maybe just under half the cost. I think I could put a new chain and sprockets on about every 25,000 mi. for that kind of savings. Wish the Zuke had ABS for the road though.

doctorj
I dont think it will be half price..... I THINK that if the Tenere comes here its in the ball park of the FJR...;-)
If that does come about, I'd have to really consider it. Due to loosing half the left bag space due to the pipe, I'd opt for a version without the OEM bags and go for aftermarket and maybe lower the pipe like some GS owners have done. I need the space. I wouldn't do much serious off roading but some mild might be possible. I would hate to take that expensive a bike out to get trashed too much (get cheap used DR650 if want to do much of that). Overall, I like it and bet the final drive will outlast BMWs. One thing I can't understand is why would Mama Yama put ABS on an admitted ADV. touring bike that is not switched or defeatable as did the DL650ABS. What's up with that--can you say USELESS OFFROAD!!!

doctorj

Back on the Super Tenere and the topic of the left side (radiator assembly) fall down go boom situation. Check the accessories already on the Yamaha site for the bike. One is a full engine/fairing guard tube like assembly that looks a lot like what I'm accustomed to seeing as an aftermarket accessory for KLRs, etc.
I've got confidence in Yamaha not coming to this niche of the market with anything other than a state of the art Adventure bike. Heavy, low center of gravity, not inexpensive, lots of accessories available already for its intended use and probably able to hold its own against that competition regardless of price. Lotsa reasons I'd choose Yamaha over BMW or KTM even if it were exactly the same bike. I'd probably go with a man strom or a wee strom over either of those for the same reasons. But that's me and my preferences.
Except for the ABS and shaft drive, the DL1000 would do the highway miles just as good and do the same type of offroad stuff too. At maybe just under half the cost. I think I could put a new chain and sprockets on about every 25,000 mi. for that kind of savings. Wish the Zuke had ABS for the road though.

doctorj
I dont think it will be half price..... I THINK that if the Tenere comes here its in the ball park of the FJR...;-)
If that does come about, I'd have to really consider it. Due to loosing half the left bag space due to the pipe, I'd opt for a version without the OEM bags and go for aftermarket and maybe lower the pipe like some GS owners have done. I need the space. I wouldn't do much serious off roading but some mild might be possible. I would hate to take that expensive a bike out to get trashed too much (get cheap used DR650 if want to do much of that). Overall, I like it and bet the final drive will outlast BMWs. One thing I can't understand is why would Mama Yama put ABS on an admitted ADV. touring bike that is not switched or defeatable as did the DL650ABS. What's up with that--can you say USELESS OFFROAD!!!

doctorj

I would have to respectfully disagree with you when you say its useless off road... There is a new VID I posted at the first post. There is talk about the brakes on the bike a bit... I AGREE with you that it would be better for sure to be able to turn off the whole system. But no one has even ridden the darn bike. Might be a great system that you cant feel, Etc.. If your looking to ride to South America or down to Baja your saying this bike is useless off road just cuz the brakes? Maybe for you, you might want to ride a simple dirt bike. For others this will get you there in the utmost safety. With the sophisticated ABS and the intricate traction control with three power settings, I think this has allot of 'tricks' that are great. When all the editors start to write about the work Yamaha has done. Its definitely built for a niche market. Someone not looking to blast moguls at 100 Mph like the KTM 990 can do... But like the BMW GSA it will get someone where they want to go from point A - B.....

But I think saying its useless off road is a miss guided suggestion to others, and this bike is not for YOU ! :)

doctorj

doctorj

I would have to respectfully disagree with you when you say its useless off road... There is a new VID I posted at the first post. There is talk about the brakes on the bike a bit... I AGREE with you that it would be better for sure to be able to turn off the whole system. But no one has even ridden the darn bike. Might be a great system that you cant feel, Etc.. If your looking to ride to South America or down to Baja your saying this bike is useless off road just cuz the brakes? Maybe for you, you might want to ride a simple dirt bike. For others this will get you there in the utmost safety. With the sophisticated ABS and the intricate traction control with three power settings, I think this has allot of 'tricks' that are great. When all the editors start to write about the work Yamaha has done. Its definitely built for a niche market. Someone not looking to blast moguls at 100 Mph like the KTM 990 can do... But like the BMW GSA it will get someone where they want to go from point A - B.....

But I think saying its useless off road is a miss guided suggestion to others, and this bike is not for YOU ! :)

From Motorcycle USA:

"ABS is standard, and the XT1200Z uses a sophisticated linking system that allows the rider to control whether or not the brakes act independently. The cool thing is that it can be done on the fly. Yamaha’s Unified Braking System works so that the front brake actuates both the dual 310mm wave rotors up front and single 282mm rear. Tapping the rear brake first will disengage the system so that each brake is controlled independently by the rider."

Huh. Interesting...

Link to article: 2010 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere First Look

From Motorcycle USA:

"ABS is standard, and the XT1200Z uses a sophisticated linking system that allows the rider to control whether or not the brakes act independently. The cool thing is that it can be done on the fly. Yamaha’s Unified Braking System works so that the front brake actuates both the dual 310mm wave rotors up front and single 282mm rear. Tapping the rear brake first will disengage the system so that each brake is controlled independently by the rider."

Huh. Interesting...

Link to article: 2010 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere First Look

Yea, if you haven't seen the "tech' video on the first post, this guy talks about the brakes aswell... That is cool as hell ! So it sounds like you can have your cake and eat it too..... I cant wait for journalist to start testing this thing. I think there are going to be some big surprises in store ! :) I'm going to read your article now.

Hey No One - do you work for Yamaha? Or are you just swigging down whatever kool-aid they are now providing?

Hey No One - do you work for Yamaha? Or are you just swigging down whatever kool-aid they are now providing?

Nope, dont work for'em, but like'em............ I like Cherry !

I love my FJR, and if this Tenere comes here I want an 'off road' FJR....... I would rather buy Yamaha than BMW.

I love my FJR, and if this Tenere comes here I want an 'off road' FJR....... I would rather buy Yamaha than BMW.
Pretty much exactly my sentiments. Sure looks like it won't be this year, though, so I suspect we'll get a chance to read lots of reviews before there's any chance of ordering or landing one on these shores.

SNORT -- It's always good for a laugh when when HD or BMW owners (or Skoot by association) talk of swilling the Kool Aid with respect to people set on some other brand. :lol:

Pretty much exactly my sentiments. Sure looks like it won't be this year, though, so I suspect we'll get a chance to read lots of reviews before there's any chance of ordering or landing one on these shores.

SNORT -- It's always good for a laugh when when HD or BMW owners (or Skoot by association) talk of swilling the Kool Aid with respect to people set on some other brand. :lol:
Did you see the new picture of the BLACK one on the first post ? Kinda cool...

Did you see the new picture of the BLACK one on the first post ? Kinda cool...
One of the things I like about these big trailies is not having all the painted,easily damaged plastics parts surrounding the bike. If it is as comfy as the 1200 GS series bikes,with it's good looks I am sure it will be a big hit. Another plus is Yamaha's reliability and dealer network to back it up. Too bad it's so hard to import a bike or car these days! I enjoy your enthusiasm No One!!

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread....per+Tenere+1200 Wowser, Adventure Rider is sure buzzing about this! Lots of complaints about price and weight!
Complainers on ADV? NFW! :blink:

The new S10 looks pretty nice, but like others have hinted the power to weight ratio is insufficient. I'm not going to sit here and bitch about it, or slam Yamaha or other members about it. It is what it is, and 95% of my riding will be on the road. I want super light, super powerful, versatile, and comfortable. So I'm waiting for my MTS1200S to show up. :yahoo:

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread....per+Tenere+1200 Wowser, Adventure Rider is sure buzzing about this! Lots of complaints about price and weight!

The new S10 looks pretty nice, but like others have hinted the power to weight ratio is insufficient. I'm not going to sit here and bitch about it, or slam Yamaha or other members about it. It is what it is, and 95% of my riding will be on the road. I want super light, super powerful, versatile, and comfortable. So I'm waiting for my MTS1200S to show up. :yahoo:

Well....three out of four ain't bad!

No matter how badly I WANTED it, I just couldn't get comfortable on the Duc. I simply don't fit. Too bad, really.

Now I'll have to wait and see how the Yamaha does.

I like your SIG.. LOL

That's a SUPER SICK scooter ! I like that bike too... Is it out already ? They say $15K, is that US ? Do you have one on order? I like the looks of most all the Duck's... im NOT down with the engine maintenance that is required. About ten years ago I was friends with the owners of the Duck dealership in Austin TX. We would hang out after work and BS bikes, have a beer. They told me all the people that bought Ducati's and didn't do the 'prescribed' maintenance and what was to be done and what it cost.. They where friends, and I didn't own one, so they where just talking and telling me what Ducati asked to be done...... After several of those conversations I told myself, the cost of the bike is one thing... The cost of the maintenance is a WHOLE nother story, and very expensive. They went on to tell me how many (or most) customers didn't pay to have the correct work done when needed for whatever reason and all the issues of not maintaining it... Sounded like a Ferrari or Lambo situation to me.. So I left knowing that owning one is more than just buying the bike.. They have a strict maintenance plain. Or they use too....

If / when you get it post in this section.. I would like to read more up on it and ask you some questions !!!! Looks BAD ASS!

For those that haven't yet done their homework, here's a "By-the-Numbers comparo from Hell for Leather Magazine: Giant Adventure Tourer Showdown
Where (in that list) is the 105 HP MotoGuzzi Stelvio? :unsure:

Except for the ABS and shaft drive, the DL1000 would do the highway miles just as good and do the same type of offroad stuff too. At maybe just under half the cost. I think I could put a new chain and sprockets on about every 25,000 mi. for that kind of savings. Wish the Zuke had ABS for the road though.doctorj
Way back in my beginning dual-sport days, a fellow rider told me and my d-s pals: "He could go anywhere we rode our d-s bikes with his, then, mid-'80s BMW K100RS...!"

That had the definite result of us "picking-up our game." Once the 'gauntlet was thrown', there was no-way he was going to be able to go the places we rode -- from then on... :eek: :rolleyes:

Has anyone read when or what Magazine will test the Super Tenere? I'm looking forward to reading what the testers have to say. MCN I guess will probably be one of the first but going to ask all of you aswell.............. Thanks !

Amazing, a UFO Sighting and not even on ST.N

How can I report this, everyone will think I'm nuts and claim the post is a fake.

Hey Skipper :p

Back to Tenere, Yamaha Canada are positive that the 1200 or 660 will not be here in 2010 and clueless if they will be available in 2011.

Chris

I was asking myself the same question. So far, the 2010 Stelvio is comparing very, very favorably to the benchmark GS in this segment. And it's a damn good looking bike...

As an aside, anyone paying attention to the early reviews on the new Duc MTS 1200..? If not, here's one: MTS 1200 S Early Review

I was asking myself the same question. So far, the 2010 Stelvio is comparing very, very favorably to the benchmark GS in this segment. And it's a damn good looking bike...

As an aside, anyone paying attention to the early reviews on the new Duc MTS 1200..? If not, here's one: MTS 1200 S Early Review

Is the Stelvio heading here, if so how much and when ? If you know.. Thanks

Is the Stelvio heading here, if so how much and when ? If you know.. Thanks
The 2010 Stelvio 1200 ABS is already on dealer floors in the US. $16K + bags. Details: Moto Guzzi Stelvio 1200 ABS

MCN did a review of this bike recently. I'd say they liked it...