Yes I am Stupid but......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norcal1

Reaction score
Okay folks. Can anyone tell me how to attach the portable bags that Yamaha gives you when you buy the bike? I'm talking about the inserts. They have metal rings on both ends but I can't for the life of me figure out how to attach them. Help!! :dribble:

Okay folks. Can anyone tell me how to attach the portable bags that Yamaha gives you when you buy the bike? I'm talking about the inserts. They have metal rings on both ends but I can't for the life of me figure out how to attach them. Help!! :dribble:
Attach then to what? Your belt? The handlebars? What...

W2

The rings are for the shoulder straps that I seem to recall were delivered already attached to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
So when you open the left bag everything can fall out in one nice neat package? Since the internal straps only loosen so much can they really hold a full bag in?

"Portable bags?"

You taking about the soft bags that go inside the hard bags? They don't attach to anything. They're just to make it easy to carry what you packed into your hotel, tent, or whatever.

the "bag liners" don't attach to anything. you pack them and put them into the pannier (saddle bags). if they "fall out" at least it's not an entire saddle bag of loose contents falling out. the rings, as mentioned, are for the shoulder strap so you can lug the inserts while filling your hand (you dirty sidewinder!).

So when you open the left bag everything can fall out in one nice neat package?...
Funny, that stops happening every time I put it on the center stand. Else, yes, it all falls out in one neat package; much better than having to chase individual items across the parking area. I would recommend that you don't let a heavy removable bag come to rest in the hard case cover when it is open, the hard case cover's retract strap can/does break.

The only time I use the straps in the side case is caryying groceries. I can put a gallon of milk in there, restrain it with the straps, and get a couple loaves of bread in the lid and they don't get squished.

I don't even have the soft bags. Bought the bike used, P.O. apparently forgot or didn't have.

There was a thread around here just a few weeks ago where somebody fastened a bungee net inside the top of his top case for extra storage. Link. I liked it so much I did it on one--so far--of my side cases (I'll buy another net one of these days for the other side). Stretches out enough that I can put my stuff in and it's held fairly well when I open the box. Takes a full bag liner or multiple loose objects. My pics are late in the thread. Pretty handy, so far, and easy to remove or replace if the net gets too stretched out. Or if I find a bungee net with smaller spacing.

Although the retainer straps in the hard bags are not the best in the world, they have locked every time I have packed my soft bags and the soft bags have never fallen out. If the bags won't strap in, there is probably something wrong with they way the bags are packed.