Keyless gas cap available for 05?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specter

Reaction score
I replaced the locking cap on my last bike with a simple keyless version, but can't find a listing for one that fits an FJR. Does anyone know of one, or if the FJR cap is the same as the R1 or another Yamaha? Caps are available for many other models.

Edit: Researched part numbers on Yamaha site - exact match to 05 R1. Now I need to choose the best replacement

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh how nice it'd be to fill up with gas without turning off the power to the tunes you're listening to through the autocom, or interrupting the conversation you're having with your s.o. while stopped for a break to fuel.

I see a great purpose and am interested as well.

Just curious. What's the purpose?
First, I have secure parking and am not worried about tampering, which removes the need for a lock.

A lot of little ones that add up.

1. No stress or damage to the key - before I changed out my Concours cap, the key started to get bent.
  2. Other key chain items don't mar the tank
  3. Don't need to remove the key from the ignition (I do turn off the engine)
  4. Lock can't jam
  5. Saves a little time at gas stops. (A small thing, but I do rallies)

The only downside is losing the cap.

A cheaper option is just to use a spare key.

I know many have taken a spare key and cut the head off ...embeded the cut key in a handy knurled knob or toy, and just leave in in the gas cap whle traveling. Problem with doing this on the FJR it has that silly door covering the keyhole.

So , I'm intrested in hearing what this costs and looks like also.

KM

Here is something to consider: if you are plugged in while refueling, is there a risk that you could spark because you are not properly grounded?

When I fill up my gas can, they always say to place it on the ground and not on the vehicle, since there is a risk that the lack of ground can cause a spark that will ignite fumes and lead to potential fire hazard.

Hmmmm..... I've never heard of the miniscule voltage that speaker wires carry generating enough charge to cause a spark through gloves, boots, or full suit. All of my powered units stay on the bike and the comm wire is the only thing that leads to my helmet. I suppose there's always a first, but an airplane could fall on my head at any moment as well. When refueling, there is absolutely no metal that comes in contact with my skin. I usually stay all suited up unless I need to use the facilities.

Sorry Hudson... reread my post and considered that maybe you haven't seen how motorcycle communication systems can be setup.

Hrms... I'd be interested in this as well.

(same reasons)

The alleged static charge from Cell phones and personal audio equipment was proven to be unfounded. I think Mythbusters even did an episode on this.

*most* of the static charge was driven by clothing/seat material rubbing getting in/out of the car.

I don't ever recall getting zapped getting on/off the bike.

I have this one, but it's on my 07' model, and I have no idea if they have the same PN.

PICT0036.jpg

This is the link to where I got it, the guy that runs the company is very trustworthy, Jerry. https://piratesk12site.net/ProductFJ.htm

Do you have more photos? I'm not sure how that thing works.

I'm making a pressure fitting for my tank.

What I've learned so far:

o The cap screws are not evenly spaced on the bolt circle

o Two of the cap screws are purely ornamental

o The filler neck of the tank is not centered on the flange for the cap

I don't understand why you have so many cap screws. I'm guessing that five of them are ornamental.

I don't understand why your screw cap is centered in the pocket. How does that line up with the tank's filler neck? What about the overflow venting?

(edit: story behind the pressure fitting <Link>)

I have this one, but it's on my 07' model, and I have no idea if they have the same PN.

PICT0036.jpg

This is the link to where I got it, the guy that runs the company is very trustworthy, Jerry. https://piratesk12site.net/ProductFJ.htm

Do you have more photos? I'm not sure how that thing works.

I'm making a pressure fitting for my tank.

What I've learned so far:

o The cap screws are not evenly spaced on the bolt circle

o Two of the cap screws are purely ornamental

o The filler neck of the tank is not centered on the flange for the cap

I don't understand why you have so many cap screws. I'm guessing that five of them are ornamental.

I don't understand why your screw cap is centered in the pocket. How does that line up with the tank's filler neck? What about the overflow venting?

(edit: story behind the pressure fitting <Link>)

The cap simply screws off and on, has high quality O-ring prevent leaks.

3 of the provided cap screws are longer than the other 5, so yes the 5 are just for looks.

If you look at the factory cap assembly you can see that the new cap is essentially the same design. The machining of this unit is exceptional and it fits and works perfect. The main reason I got it was because I didn't like to have to always remove the key from the ignition and scratch my tank when they were in the cap. Maybe it was just me but I couldn't get the key out of the gas cap unless it was closed?

If you look at the factory cap assembly you can see that the new cap is essentially the same design.
Yeah, I've spend a little time studying the factory cap.

See the black gasket that fits down snug on the filler neck?

Spring tension holds it there. Look at the distance between the filler neck gasket and the pressure relief vent.

The machining of this unit is exceptional and it fits and works perfect.
I don't doubt that it's a nice looking product. I'm just curious how this:

(appears like a simple screw cap)

could function like this:

Look at the complexity of that sucker!

There are at least two springs in there and some sort of internal vent channel that leads to the pressure relief vent; plus a separate overfill drain.

If you look at the factory cap assembly you can see that the new cap is essentially the same design.
Yeah, I've spend a little time studying the factory cap.

See the black gasket that fits down snug on the filler neck?

Spring tension holds it there. Look at the distance between the filler neck gasket and the pressure relief vent.

The machining of this unit is exceptional and it fits and works perfect.
I don't doubt that it's a nice looking product. I'm just curious how this:

(appears like a simple screw cap)

could function like this:

Look at the complexity of that sucker!

There are at least two springs in there and some sort of internal vent channel that leads to the pressure relief vent; plus a separate overfill drain.

Joe-

Don't know what to tell you but, I have had the cap set up on for nearly a year and around 6000 miles. There have been zero, nada, nothing in the way of problems with the cap set up or the engine operation, which includes large elevation changes with various fuel quantity levels. From what I can see this is the only other cap assembly available that I have run across. Everyone that has seen it has liked it, in fact I had a guy leave a note on my bike at NAFO inquiring where to get one.

It simply works as advertised, of which I have no association with. I knew Jerry at Pirates Liar when I used to have a BMW K1200RS, good guy, no bull shit.

Best of luck, PM me your phone number if you want to ask personally any questions.

LP,

Your cap looks like a very nice setup. Does yours have a separate large billet washer under it? As it looks slightly different than the one on the website.

WW

I'd be interested in one that works like a stock cap, ie: hinged, but doesn't require a key. Maybe just modifying the stocker by removing the key cylinder and installing a tumble lever of some type?

LP,
Your cap looks like a very nice setup. Does yours have a separate large billet washer under it? As it looks slightly different than the one on the website.

WW

Hey WW,

I think it's just the way the pictures are, because it's basically just the cap and the one piece base.

The only other thing the kit comes with is the cap screws, 3 long ones to attach to the tank and 5 short ones that are in the base for show.

I'm going to try to take some more photos for you guys later today.

Latest posts