Side case surgery

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canucklehead-biker

Reaction score
On the last day of CFR, FJRGuy noticed one of my side bags was not properly positioned on the bike. Turns out that the mounting lugs were quite east to shake loose from the mounts, despite the thing being 'locked' onto the bike.

DSCN0343.jpg

Further investigation, hangar flying and head scratching from the assembled masses and we came to the conclusion that the ratcheting mechanism inside the case that moves the plastic locking lug upwards to secure the bag to the bike had somehow skipped a tooth or two, and now when that locking latch is in the full up/locked position, it doesn't put enough pressure against the mounting point to actually lock the bag to the bike.

DSCN0341.jpg

DSCN0348.jpg

A few zip ties (courtesy of BikerGeek) and some creative threading of the ties (courtesy of FJRGuy) and the bag was securely mounted for the rest of the trip. Now that I'm home, it's time to fix it properly.

The mechanism that locks the bag onto the bike is between an inner and outer shell on the bag; the two parts are secured with what looks like plastic rivets.

DSCN0347.jpg

Has anyone ever drilled these out to get inside the guts of the bag? If so, any hints? Am I wasting my time trying to fix the mechanism?

Also, has anyone else ever had this issue with a bag? I think we may have found an explanation for some of the bags that have flown off FJRs in the past when the owner was "positive" they'd locked the thing in place properly.

Thanks!

Griff

Been discussed on this Forum a few times over the years.

Some have had luck 'slipping' the ratchet mechanism inside the bag by reversing the process that got it that way.

I haven't heard of anyone disassembling the bag to correct the problem.

buddy of mine had this same problem a few times

as near as we figured its caused from not lining up the hole just right when you actuate the lock

so the locking part that pops out of the bag hits the side of the hole first then he forces it into the locked position causing it to skip a tooth so to speak

if any of that makes sence to you try his easy fix

lock some vice grips to the tab and get a bar of sorts to pry on the vise grips upwards

basically pull the tab out of the bag till it skips that tooth in the ratcheting mechanism

each time he miss aligns the bags when putting them on it happens again easier and easier everytime it happens

now he can almost pull the tab out by hand as the ratcheting mechanism is getting rounded off

either that or pull it apart and take some pictures so we all know whats inside

As a point of reference, when off the bike and with the handle in the carrying position, the peg is near-enough flush with the case.

I took some photos and measurements of the peg (click on image for larger view):

Handle closed, peg out . . . . . . . handle open, peg retracted

Showing the measurements:

Peg out about 40.5mm

Peg retracted about 1.5mm

If yours is like this, it might be that you've lost the rubber piece that is

glued up into the hole the peg goes in to.

When my bag was a bit loose, I glued a piece cut from an old inner tube in there. Bag now nice and tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a point of reference, when off the bike and with the handle in the carrying position, the peg is near-enough flush with the case.
I took some photos and measurements of the peg [SIZE=8pt](click on image for larger view)[/SIZE]:

(snip)

When my bag was a bit loose, I glued a piece cut from an old inner tube in there. Bag now nice and tight.
I think you are on to something. When looking at your picture compared to canuclehead's picture, with the tab all the way up, look at the diamond shapes molded into the plastic. In both cases, three full diamonds plus just a little bit more are exposed. That makes me think that his tab is all the way up, matching yours. Still, it's worth measuring to be sure.

"When my bag was a bit loose, I glued a piece cut from an old inner tube in there. Bag now nice and tight."

Wow, I never thought of doing that. Last weekend, with the heat and humidity, and my advanced years, my bag was very loose all weekend. Sac stuck to my leg for most of the daylight hours. Never thought of using an old innertube to tighten up the marble pouch. Good advice...I'll try it! :lol:

I took some photos and measurements of the peg [SIZE=8pt](click on image for larger view)[/SIZE]:

(snip)

I think you are on to something. When looking at your picture compared to canuclehead's picture, with the tab all the way up, look at the diamond shapes molded into the plastic. In both cases, three full diamonds plus just a little bit more are exposed. That makes me think that his tab is all the way up, matching yours. Still, it's worth measuring to be sure.
We did this comparison on location in QC when the problem was noticed. The latch/peg/whatever-you-want-to-call-it was travelling all the way up but was not 'locking' in that position. I suspect there is a cam at the end of the handle travel that performs this function and would be the 'snap' I often hear when locking my case. We'll know for sure pretty soon though.

Jeff, I'm back in town and can run my damaged case over for dissection and potentially scavenging parts!

(snip)

We did this comparison on location in QC when the problem was noticed. The latch/peg/whatever-you-want-to-call-it was travelling all the way up but was not 'locking' in that position. I suspect there is a cam at the end of the handle travel that performs this function and would be the 'snap' I often hear when locking my case. We'll know for sure pretty soon though.

Jeff, I'm back in town and can run my damaged case over for dissection and potentially scavenging parts!
I'll measure the case peg per your hint ...

and thanks Jeff, being able to practice the disection on a busted case would sure help.

Griff

Is item 94 in place or damaged? This is the rubber piece that the bottom of the bag slips over.
BagBracket.jpg
Item 94 is there... it is the latching pin that locks the bag onto the side of the bike that seems to be the issue.

As FJRGuy mentions... when I latch the bag, there is no discernable 'snap' at the end when locking the bag to the bike. We put another bag (MEM's) on and it did lock in correctly, so all evidence seems to point to something with the internals of the locking mechanism itself.

I think I'll disect it and see... will post pics and report as this moves forward.

Griff

(snip)

I'll measure the case peg per your hint ...

and thanks Jeff, being able to practice the disection on a busted case would sure help.

Griff
Off topic but is your name Jeff or Griff? I know I was calling you Jeff at CFR Just curious

:blink: Jeff and Jeff playing with bags? together?

No!... Pictures will not be necessary...

It's Jeff John. Griff is his name to his special (ghey) friends.

:lol:

:jester:

"When my bag was a bit loose, I glued a piece cut from an old inner tube in there. Bag now nice and tight."

Wow, I never thought of doing that. Last weekend, with the heat and humidity, and my advanced years, my bag was very loose all weekend. Sac stuck to my leg for most of the daylight hours. Never thought of using an old innertube to tighten up the marble pouch. Good advice...I'll try it! :lol:

:rofl:

I think this slipped by (or was intentionally ignored) the other contestants...

Same thing happened to one of my cases. Got it replaced under YES. But I would like to see someone crack one of these cases open and post up pics of it's guts. Might be a first on this board.

Jeff... but Griff avoids confusion when that other Jeff is around. Griff
... and that other Jeff is like a bad rash... just won't go away! :eek:

Same thing happened to one of my cases. Got it replaced under YES. But I would like to see someone crack one of these cases open and post up pics of it's guts. Might be a first on this board.
Consider it in progress! Between our 2 cases we should be able to figure it out! :D

Cho... Chor... aww screw it...

[SIZE=12pt]Jeff[/SIZE]

:rolleyes: