Honda's New Touring Bike minus the Touring?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not a touring bike, thats what the real Goldwing is for. They're obviously trying to tap into the popular & ever expanding bagger market. And if you like the bagger style bike for dayrides and you didn't want to get a HD Streetglide, Kaw Vaquero or Victory Cross Country...then this bike would be an option. With the 1832cc 6cyl motor it's going to out perform all those other baggers. I actually wouldn't mind a bike like this as a 2nd bike. Personally I like the looks of it & the front end looks BMW-esque to me. I'm not in the market for one however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1vLW53yFWk

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a touring bike, thats what the real Goldwing is for. They're obviously trying to tap into the popular & ever expanding bagger market. And if you like the bagger style bike for dayrides and you didn't want to get a HD Streetglide, Kaw Vaquero or Victory Cross Country...then this bike would be an option. With the 1832cc 6cyl motor it's going to out perform all those other baggers. I actually wouldn't mind a bike like this as a 2nd bike. Personally I like the looks of it & the front end looks BMW-esque to me. I'm not in the market for one however.

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=t1vLW53yFWk

It's clear that they are targeting the HD bagger market...nothing more, nothing less. Smart move by them to try and pry into that market. I have met a number of former HD riders that now ride a Wing for touring...so this makes sense marketing wise.

Looks like @ss to me...but I don't have to buy one do I? It's called a free country and free markets.

It's clear that they are targeting the HD bagger market...nothing more, nothing less. Smart move by them to try and pry into that market. I have met a number of former HD riders that now ride a Wing for touring...so this makes sense marketing wise.

Looks like @ss to me...but I don't have to buy one do I? It's called a free country and free markets.
The HD StreetGlide has good looks and the HD appeal. Other than that, the F6B is an ugly bike going to war against uglier bikes. It shows up with a better reliability record, better suspension, better power and it is not any uglier than its competition. I kinda like it. I would like to see it sell like the Valkyrie did. I am not in the market for one and don't know if I will ever be but if I were to buy a bagger, that would be the one.

I like it. I would be curious how easy it is to change out the windshield though. I would want one a little bigger for longer trips/colder weather.

I like it. I would be curious how easy it is to change out the windshield though. I would want one a little bigger for longer trips/colder weather.
Most baggers come with the low shield but offer a taller one as well. I would assume this Honda would be no different. The deluxe model comes with heated grips as well. But your talking $21k for it. lol

IDK, as I'm glad that this is all about taste. From the looks alone, I don't like this bike, or the Victory or the Hundrerd Dollars...

Just the thought of dropping that sucker would kill me. The clear body lines might look very neat, but it will come at a price and I'm not referring to the sales price.

RPK

Let's see, A bagger that looks like a Harley and costs as much as a Harley. Doesn't make the potato sound. Sure to sway some potential harley buyers. :huh:

IDK, as I'm glad that this is all about taste. From the looks alone, I don't like this bike, or the Victory or the Hundrerd Dollars...

Just the thought of dropping that sucker would kill me. The clear body lines might look very neat, but it will come at a price and I'm not referring to the sales price.

RPK
It looks like it has the same guards by the bags and the engine that the wing has, so, if you were to drop it, no damage done, except maybe your pride.

All depends if anyone is watching!

Wonder why a centerstand is a option on any motorcycle?

If you're asking because you think they should come standard, then the answer is that many people, myself included, do not like them. They cut ground clearance, and they're only rarely necessary for things like "in the field" tire changes.

Regarding the new Gold Wing, it did not make me think of BMW. It made me think of Victory Vision.

I think the new model looks to me to be the product of cross breeding a Victory and one of the old Valkyrie Runes.

That's not necessarily bad ... but it does not call my name. That could be because I'm already addicted to the Triumph Rocket III Touring. The new Honda has a lot of obvious technological advantages over the Rocket. I like the Rocket for its simplicity and the throwback nature of its features and rider interface.

Wonder why a centerstand is a option on any motorcycle?

If you're asking because you think they should come standard, then the answer is that many people, myself included, do not like them. They cut ground clearance, and they're only rarely necessary for things like "in the field" tire changes....
I've heard from people like Smitty and others, believe it or not, that some people (including Smitty) just push that beast over on it's side and change the rear tire. I don't understand this part...but there is no scuffing of the plastic. I guess there are a lot less things to take off the bike if you change a Wings rear tar this way.

Never seen this done...just passing along Smitty info.

I like it. I remember when Honda used to offer the Wing in several different configs. Everything from stripped, bagged, to fully Aspencayed. A little something for everybody. This beats the attempt they made with bagging the Valkyrie.

Yes, a few more inches on the shield may be nice. It would depend on how thoroughly wind tunnel tested Honda engineers went.

Sorry to the FJR purists, but I'll wander down to the dealer and kick the tires once or twice.

JSNS,

Mark

Latest posts