You keep your cell phone on your person for safety, but do you do this?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
We've discussed on the forum how it's a good idea to keep your cell phone on your person so that if you separate from the bike your phone is accessible. So I always keep it in an outside pocket of my 'stitch so I can get to it and not have to find it in my pants pocket or sumpin'.

The other element of this is, if you have a get-off and have to make calls by the side of the road, you may be very distressed and distracted and unable to focus. So you want stuff where it always can be found.

But have you also considered this: I don't know all my family's cell phone numbers by heart. So in the event that my phone battery is dead, or I am unable to use my phone myself, if someone says, "Who do you want me to call?", I may be able to say a name, but I have no feckin' idea the phone number (and my memory is hopeless).

So I keep a laminated card in my pocket with emergency phone numbers.

JS&NS

I have to re do them as I noticed they are peeling up some....

But I used one of those label makers to put my emergency contact number (my wife's cell) on the back of my helmet. It used to have my blood type and "no allergies" too but I was told no one cares about blood type anymore.

The same info is printed on unlaminated pieces of card stock in a pocket of every piece of gear I own. And repeated again on a card right next to my drivers licence in my wallet.

My phone did have an I.C.E. list, but now just has my wife listed as "Wife" and ditto with my "son" and "daughter".

Other than tattooing this info on my chest I think this covers it. I do have my phone in an armored case in an inside pocket..

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point about having the phone reachable wherever you happen to land or stop sliding. We had a similar discussion here about the SPOT Tracker this summer. Those handlebar mounts may not be the best way to go either for that or the phone.

A back-up card or dog tag or something is always a good idea for safety. And of course always wear a condom when you ride.

...it's a good idea to keep your cell phone on your person...in an outside pocket...if you have a get-off...you may be very distressed and distracted and unable to focus...I don't know all my family's cell phone number...my phone battery is dead...I am unable to use my phone myself...So I keep a laminated card in my pocket with emergency phone numbers...
You are talking about an ICE Card. Extended version. It is recommended to keep at least one copy in your wallet, emergency responders go straight for your wallet (yikes!) looking for information.

And of course always wear a condom when you ride.
Is that in the manual somewhere?
Yo Enn, it's printed on page 23 on my 2003 FJR manual and on page 31 of my 2013 FJR manual. Since we're Estonian and Irish, we'll require the Extra-Extra Large condoms! Danes and the English will use the Teensy-Weensy Small condoms. jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

And of course always wear a condom when you ride.
Is that in the manual somewhere?
Yo Enn, it's printed on page 23 on my 2003 FJR manual and on page 31 of my 2013 FJR manual. Since we're Estonian and Irish, we'll require the Extra-Extra Large condoms! Danes and the English will use the Teensy-Weensy Small condoms. jes' sayin' and nuff' said!
Thanks, found it. You have to wear one on each of your fingers if it is below 0 temps

Another forum thread goes down the toilet.... Wasn't there a separate post about this, uh, problem?

And BTW doing a lousy job of it. Why in the hell hasn't anybody brought this thread into the picture?

My concern about keeping the phone on you is that you have a tendency to land hard and roll. In two of my crashes I've landed on my keys one time and on my wallet another. Both of which ended more painful and with more colorful bruises than if I'd landed without. If you land on your cell phone, you are quite likely to destroy it. To me, in the end, it comes down to the fact that you are damned if you do and damned if you don't, but neither option covers all situations and neither is better than the other.

As far as knowing my wife's phone number, it's one number different from mine, so that makes it easy.
biggrin.png

Another forum thread goes down the toilet.... Wasn't there a separate post about this, uh, problem?

And BTW doing a lousy job of it. Why in the hell hasn't anybody brought this thread into the picture?
Hey now Hans, Sacramento Mike is your Berkeley Butt Buddy; not Enn's or Papa's, your fellow NorCal freaky-deaky started all of this!

This is exactly the reason Old Michael doesn't let SacMike ride behind him, EVER! By the way, OM is not to sure about Bugnatr either!

IMG_2451.JPG

We've discussed on the forum how it's a good idea to keep your cell phone on your person so that if you separate from the bike your phone is accessible. So I always keep it in an outside pocket of my 'stitch so I can get to it and not have to find it in my pants pocket or sumpin'.
The other element of this is, if you have a get-off and have to make calls by the side of the road, you may be very distressed and distracted and unable to focus. So you want stuff where it always can be found.

But have you also considered this: I don't know all my family's cell phone numbers by heart. So in the event that my phone battery is dead, or I am unable to use my phone myself, if someone says, "Who do you want me to call?", I may be able to say a name, but I have no feckin' idea the phone number (and my memory is hopeless).

So I keep a laminated card in my pocket with emergency phone numbers.

JS&NS
Here's another option: https://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

I wear mine 24/7/365, 'cause otherwise I'd forget to put it on before I wander away from the old folks home. Very durable, relatively cheap, and it won't get lost in the bushes when the paramedics cut off your 'stitch.

On the return from the new years day gathering 2012 in Jackson CA we had a rider go down. One of the more frustrating things in that case was the access code needed to use his phone to be able to call family. He was hit in the head, so his ability to recall and help make calls was certainly a secondary priority.

The ability to make emergency calls was also an issue last year during the Rueben Run when another rider got acquainted with a deer. In that case, there was no phone service, and his Spot was giving misleading information. Phones are a good idea for emergencies, but they certainly aren't foolproof.

Another thing you might consider is to become a member of the helicopter rescue organization in your area. An airlift will cost you $20K to $40K and is not generally insured cost.

I ride with an emergency card with contact numbers in my wallet (witch I carry in my fromt pocket) and cell phone in jacket pocket.

Perhaps not the perfect method but I haven't found a perfect method yet.

BTW, atgatt.

As I've written before and on a related note, do you keep your

"In Case Of" info on you when you are exercising?

I was in the health club of an airport hotel in Asia last year and a fellow passed out. All he had was his magnetic generic hotel key card.

Clearly, he was from some other part of the world and nobody had the slightest idea who he was or where he was from.

not_i.gif

The staff had to take his key card to the front desk and after too long a wait, an ambulance was called. If he'd needed a heart pill, had a stroke, stayed unconscious, or something else more serious, we couldn't have learned how to help him fast and he would've been up Shit Creek. Fortunately, he was a stressed dehydrated pudgy guy trying the hotel fitness center and just ended up going to the hospital for the cut when he whacked his head, coming off the treadmill.

In most of my life, my wallet and Blackberry screen have plenty of ID and ICE info. But ever since that event, when exercising,

I simply write a couple of ICE phone numbers on a business card and put that in a pocket.

All good ideas. I spottrack and iPhone track and have RFID implanted.

..and I ain't saying where it's implanted either.

this will derail the thread again...

Some great ideas. I know those high end suits some where have a small plastic pocket on the arm for emergency numbers etc. Great feature.

My crackberry locks so if someone needs to get into my phone and I'm too goofy to unlock it, tough tires! I'm hosed. Just calling the authorities is fine.

I hope this in no way was a high jacking reply. If so please exceuse me.