Gen 2 Radiator Guard Upgrade

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I know Gen3's are out there on the streets now and this is yesterdays news, but I am surprised by the number of riders that do not consider an upgrade

to their stock radiator guard. I googled and found very little discussion on this topic except an announcement in 2011 that an upgrade was available. When

I got my first FJR (An '05) in 2009, I was reading a rally report (RJ's) where a damaged radiator cost him major hassles and considerable $ during his ride.

Living in Florida I was first concerned with airflow, I got some advice and bought a COX and installed it on my '05 ASAP. Now after riding 165k of non-pampered

roads (The Haul Rd./Wild-Ass Rd...) I can say it was a good decision. It MUST have been as I have had no radiator issues so far.

So when I picked up a used '08 FJR and began farkling, the radiator was a priority concern. The Gen.2 has a radiator guard which comes stock on it. After checking

out the stocker I ordered and installed the COX. I decided to share a quick comparison of the two.

If you were a rock - which could you more easily pass through?

IMG_1106_zps33667608.jpg

The thin plastic stock guard: (IF you look closely you can see broken vents)

IMG_1107_zpsb348b66b.jpg

OR the metal COX:

IMG_1108_zpsb4da8a8b.jpg
[/url

An easy install (But why the 2 bolts HAD to be behind the horns is a mystery)

Installed COX:

IMG_1110_zps598fc505.jpg

]
IMG_1109_zps0d61dc0d.jpg

A simple swap for under $90 in exchange for a peace of mind the next time you travel gravel.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1

Doesn't need to be a gravel road. Around here, the logging trucks deposit nice-sized pieces of rock on the main highway, which can easily get squirted at high velocity by a passing vehicle tire. DAMHIK

Naturally, the rock will strike the most vulnerable part of your bike.

Headlight guards are also a good bit of cheap insurance, but you can still drive with a holed headlight, where a damaged radiator will put you at roadside pretty darn quick!

+1. I felt the same way with my '08. I'm running the same set-up. Around here there are plenty of rocks and sand deposited by off-roaders and sanding trucks for the ice and snow. Didn't need to be shut down by a coolant leak. I just replaced my battery after five years. Just in case. I didn't ride it for about three weeks but remained in a heated garage. After a washing with it left on for a short time to wash under the windshield, it did not start when I was done. I decided to replace just in case. No need to be stranded. Ride safe my friends.

Ordered the COX shield yesterday. Looks like wind could cause the shield to rattle up against the radiator. Should I plan on fabricating some kind of insulation ( rubber-grommet device)? Looks like it would be pretty easy.

How many GenII owners have ever had a punctured radiator? For that matter, how many GenI owners have had that problem?

Seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

How many GenII owners have ever had a punctured radiator? For that matter, how many GenI owners have had that problem?
For some perhaps this is true. For me on the Haul Rd my Extenda Fender was knocked clean off. The "Pings" and "Tings" of rocks bouncing off the Cox were constant.

The Alcan with its gravel construction areas, the "Wild Ass" trail, ANY gravel roads present problems. Why limit your riding due to lack of foresight?

A reference for fails: Reno John

Look closely at the first pic in the thread... This bike has been pampered and still has broken "Fins" on the stock guard.

Ordered the COX shield yesterday. Looks like wind could cause the shield to rattle up against the radiator. Should I plan on fabricating some kind of insulation ( rubber-grommet device)? Looks like it would be pretty easy.
It fit snugly on my fjr, with no need for grommets or other spacers. It completely replaces the flimsy stock plastic 'guard'

It only has to happen once, and it can really ruin your day. How many install some form of headlight protection? Or how many use tank slapper film? You can keep riding with a scratched tank, or even a broken headlight lens, but you won't go far with a leaking radiator.

I avoid gravel roads whenever possible, but sometimes there's road construction/repair involving gravel. If you ever ride highway 3 in BC, especially in the Spring, you'll understand. I experience much less anxiety when riding on substandard surfaces knowing the radiator is fairly well protected by a real guard.

I've seen 2 water cooled bikes with holes in the radiators within a couple of weeks, hence the decision to buy a Rad Guard.

Also know of 2 FJR's within our Aussie forum.

Just curious, has anyone tried to reinforce the plastic rad guards somehow??
I think it would be a waste of time. A radiator guard is metal and stops objects from reaching your radiator (within reason)

The stock is flimsy plastic which bends and will break upon impact. $90 or so total cost. Installation is a 2 bolt procedure .

Once you compare the two side by side OR just run your finger up and down the stock guard, you will understand just how

it most likely is not worth the time to try to modify it. Replacement makes more sense. IMO

Just curious, has anyone tried to reinforce the plastic rad guards somehow??
I think it would be a waste of time. A radiator guard is metal and stops objects from reaching your radiator (within reason)

The stock is flimsy plastic which bends and will break upon impact. $90 or so total cost. Installation is a 2 bolt procedure .

Once you compare the two side by side OR just run your finger up and down the stock guard, you will understand just how

it most likely is not worth the time to try to modify it. Replacement makes more sense. IMO
It doesn't look like it would be that difficult to slip a metal screen between the radiator and the plastic guard....just need to find a screen that is strong enough to deflect rocks and flows enough air. Might be a good winter project.

That just looks like a piece of expanded metal screen with some tin around it... maybe I'm cheap.. but $90 bucks for that?

Am i missing something?

Had a guard on my '03, no punctures, have a Cox guard awaiting it's place on the '14. I 'm calling it insurance, may never need it, but it's there just in case.