franklin nc

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.ga.rider

Reaction score
I may be riding to franklin on the 3rd-7th. I will be going through atl around lunch and then on up. Anyone one in the area got any good suggestions for roads not to miss, besides the dragon and the popular stuff. Done most of that. Or if anyone has time off monday or tuesday I may be able to meet up for a ride.

Mods, move this to planning please.

They have their own, "ride Franklin" website, check it out. We did the waterfall tour going to Bridal Veil falls as it seemed appropriate since this was our Honeymoon. There were some nice roads but not exactly the caliber of the Cherohala.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gone to Hooterville that weekend. Surely one day we can ride somewhere together.

NC 215 is pretty fun, heading north from Rosman. If that's too far east, GA 246/NC 106 through Sky Valley and Scaly Mountain to Highlands is pretty fun, and pretty, too.

My favorite is NC 281 headed north from Lake Toxaway. <Can't get Photobucket to cooperate on this blankety-blank worthless Microsoft PC. Will post a photo from the MacBook at home.> And here it is:

Road%20to%20Rosman_zpsoqywzc71.jpg

I was in the Franklin area for a week earlier this year and US 28/64 heading towards Highlands is a great ride....if you're not behind some slow moving vehicle in the curves just before Highlands!
not_i.gif

Also US28 North out of Franklin up to US74 is a nice road, very curvy and not alot of traffic.....
punk.gif

Cafe Rel in franklin has very good food. Don't let the "gas station" ambiance from the outside discourage you. The stuff on the inside is what counts

+1 on 281. Wayah Rd out of Franklin if you haven't already done it on the way to the Dragon. Forum member RayW, former Georgian now South Carolina Williamstonian, has a work schedule that leaves him free to ride on Mondays and Tuesdays I think.

Might have better luck mentioning this in the Southeast ride planning section?

I may be riding to franklin on the 3rd-7th. I will be going through atl around lunch and then on up. Anyone one in the area got any good suggestions for roads not to miss, besides the dragon and the popular stuff. Done most of that. Or if anyone has time off monday or tuesday I may be able to meet up for a ride.

+1 on 281. Wayah Rd out of Franklin if you haven't already done it on the way to the Dragon. Forum member RayW, former Georgian now South Carolina Williamstonian, has a work schedule that leaves him free to ride on Mondays and Tuesdays I think.
Might have better luck mentioning this in the Southeast ride planning section?
Got company coming that week. ..and they don't ride... <sigh>

Keeping it in one place makes it easier to follow, and this post (not the duplicate linked here) is probably in the best spot: Ride Planning, Southeast.

Can't meet you this time; I'll be in Hooterville. You're welcome to join us in MO/AR, you know.

Funny Ray. haha

Uncle Hud, I was just fixing to email you about meeting up till I saw the last post. I should be going up that sunday and meeting the lady at the cabin but will be available mon and tues, headed back weds so let me know if something changes.

I was in the Franklin area for a week earlier this year and US 28/64 heading towards Highlands is a great ride....if you're not behind some slow moving vehicle in the curves just before Highlands!
not_i.gif

Also US28 North out of Franklin up to US74 is a nice road, very curvy and not alot of traffic.....
punk.gif
+ 1 was just there less than two weeks ago...

Bridal Veil Falls makes a nice photo op on the road South of Franklin but the real jewel would be Dry Falls. It is on the East side of the road a few miles South of Bridal Veil. Well worth the walk/climb down to see it.