NERDS IV - B2B (back to basics) - Stowe, VT 8/18-21/2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
As the James Bond title encourages us all; "Never Say Never Again".

Some of the nicest people around this great forum have been longing for another taste of FJR NERDS heaven in the Stowe Vermont area, and they made a damned good case for the idea that we could do it again without any sort of "hoopty-doo", and it would still be every bit as much fun as what we've had in the past.

After due consideration, I cannot find any good reason that this would not work out. It's been a two year hiatus now for NERDS, and I think a lot of us miss our NERDS Vermont summah vacations. Let's get it on!

NERDS IV - B2B - Stowe Vermont - Weekend of August 18th thru 21st 2016.

Come early, stay late, whatever you want... come and go as you want. it's all good.

I've contacted the Commodores Inn owners and initiated blocking off the weekend of August 18th thru 21st 2016 for NERDS IV. This is the weekend after their huge Vintage Auto Enthusiast gathering in Stowe each year, so it works out well with the hotel, and should also work with us as it has in the past.

For those that have attended one of the three prior NERDS events in the past, it will be pretty much the same affair, except for a few minor details:

Since FJRed (not Fred) and Grace have moved from the area, there will be no generous reception at their lavish country manor.

No Tech Day, Bike Wash, drunken cab driver rides to and from their place in Waterbury either.

No Thursday night BBQ at the hotel.

No Treasure Hunt Rally

No groovy custom deigned tee shirts of any sleeve length (feel free to make and bring your own)

No organized group dinners (though their nice buffet will be available every night for those not wishing to "go out" on the big town)

No swag collected nor distributed

and...

No bike tipping over or crashing will be allowed during the entire weekend!
nono.gif

It should be a great time, a great place to meet, ride some awesome VT country roads, share your wildest stories over a few adult bevs swilled in the parking lot, and hang out with a veritable hoard of like minded FJR-philes for a fantastic summer weekend.

The dozen or so ride routes we've got saved from prior years should all still be good (links to them below). I doubt there are many (beside myself) who have ridden them all. Even if you have, there are a few that are so good that I would willingly riding them annually.

If you prefer, we still have the extensive list of "must visit" Vermont locations from the "Treasure Hunt" so you can easily "roll your own" ride route from there.

For those who have yet to make one of the 3 prior NERDS events in Stowe, well you just do not know what a great time that you have been missing. This will be an awesome chance to rectify that major shortcoming in your life, and at minimal expense, muss or fuss.

I just wanted to get this out there on the forums now, partly so you can start your 2016 planning, but also because I have seen a few folks diligently working on some alternate northeast locations for FJR owners / riders meet-ups, and while I definitely want to encourage you to continue doing that, maybe just don't plan for August? How about the late spring (like Cats and Daks used-to-was) or some time later on into the fall foliage?

I'm sure that we will have us another great weekend. Looking forward to seeing you all up in Stowe Vermont.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lodging Details:

Commodores Inn (www.commodoresinn.com )

Make your reservations by phone only at 802-253-7131 or 800-44-STOWE(78693)

Ask for the FJR NERDS Group rate.
Do not make reservations on-line as you will not receive the group rates, plus our room block may cause it to show no availability.

Room Rates:

Weekend Rates (Fri-Sat): Single: $104 ($123.56) Double: $124 ($147.16)

Midweek Rates (Sun-Thur): Single: $82 ($97.18) Double: $92 ($109.40)

Rates are per room and include 1 nights lodging, and full Vermont style breakfast buffet, (incl. tax and gratuity)

Deposit Policy:

A credit card will be put on file upon reserving the room. If someone must cancel within 72 hours of planned arrival, a $50 processing fee will be charged to the card on file. For any cancellation made with more than 72 hours there will be no charges.

(note: In past years they never made any charges on your card at time of reservation, but reserved the right to charge you $50 for late cancellation)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NERDS'13.gdb - All eleven ride routes in Garmin's proprietary GDB format

NERDS'13.gpx - All eleven ride routes in generic GPX format

NERDS'13 Roll Your Own Route.gdb - File with 82 interesting Vermont Points of Interest in GDB format

NERDS'13 Roll Your Own Route.gpx - File with 82 interesting Vermont Points of Interest in GPX format

NERDS'13 Roll Your Own Route Waypoint List.pdf - File with 82 interesting Vermont Points of Interest in PDF format

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in! I have stayed at the Commodore's and I have done the camping thing for previous NERDS. Either way, I plan to be there. Thanks Fred.

I'll put the date in the queue and see what happens. I have meetings this weekend where we start setting the race calendar for the 2016 season.

Yup, never say never...

And, snce this announcement beat the arrival of Paul's vacation bid sheet, we actually stand a chance of making it!

Thanks Fred!

This sounds inviting. I have been looking for an excuse to ride to the NE. Giving it some thought, but it might have to wait till retirement in a couple of years.

We are currently making plans for NAFO at the end of July. That's going to be a big ride. If I can take time away for this without jeopardizing my work or home life, I am in.

And thank you, Fred, for stepping up.

IN!

The Lake George rendezvous will be better in the Fall, when the hotel prices are down into the $60 dolla range.

Fred, thanks for getting this rolling!

If there was something to complain about at each of the previous meets, it was not having enough time to ride all of those routes. Each loop was well-planned and mostly different enough that I got to experience the differing countrysides depending on which direction it took. Very enjoyable riding.