Fuel fill up question ...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Hud

Just another blob of protoplasm using up your oxyg
Reaction score
It's not a silly question -- or series of three questions. I'm a curious young man, and so I'm asking. And I seriously want to know.

1) Do you fuel your bike while it's on the sidestand or the center stand?

2) Why?

3) Do you think it makes any significant difference in the amount of fuel you can put into the tank?

and here's our first set of answers:

1) Sidestand almost always.

2) It's easier.

3) No.

(PS: It's NOT Friday.)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try fueling the bike on the sidestand and then putting it on the centerstand to top it off. See how much more fuel you are able to add when you do this.

Hint: Not much

1. Sidestand

2. That is how I get off of it and it makes no damn difference in the amount of fuel you can put in.

3. No

Edit: I hope you are not surprised this one went straight to NEPRT.

What, again?

Ok, side-stand, and as far as I can tell, makes little difference to the amount that can be put in. Fill it to the neck on the side (including a couple of top-ups as it seems to recede a little), pull the bike upright, fuel level still up to the filling tube.

I started it in NEPRT, because it is Pointless -- except that I am curious about the habits of my fellow Forum members.

To quote The Big Lebowski, is this a weekd... what day is this?

When I fuel the bike, I stay on the seat after parking at the pump. I move the tankbag, swipe my card and pump the fuel while hold the bike vertically with my legs. When the fuel gets to the filler neck, I rock the bike L/R a few times to get any air out and settle the fuel level. Then I can trickle in a little bit more gas. Why do I do it like that? I have no idea, but it's a habit that I've been doing for many years. Does it get any more gas into the tank? I really have no way of knowing, but in my mind, it can't hurt.

Anecdotally, my buddy and I ride identical 2012s with stock fuel systems, no PCIII/V. He fuels on the center stand while standing beside the bike. When riding together, 200+ miles later, his bike always flashes reserve several miles before mine. I know that each bike has subtle variations in gauging tolerances, but it could also be due to fuelling technique. We haven't calculated actual MPGs to see who actually burns more, however.

The two wheel obsession guy (Brian?) did a video where he compared the two. His conclusion was that it ended up being the same.

(I started it in NEPRT.....
Well, that wasn't supposed to be possible...and now resolved for the future.

One should aspire to NOT have their thread moved to NEPRT and feel at least a slight pang of guilt for having a thread moved..as it's likely been covered so many times before. You really couldn't be bothered to find the many threads that have hashed this out before? Umkay. Whatevs.

WOW - just WOW! I'm amazed at two responses to this question. I'll let you figure out which ones those are, should you even care.

To answer your question, I utilize the same method as Morecowbell. I can't see how being on the sidestand could allow more fuel, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were a minuscule less than filling via my method. As to the bike being on the centerstand while filling, has to be even closer to remaining on the bike while filling.

While this question might be pointless, I found it intriguing and interesting as well. I've never really paid attention but I thought most everyone I ride with fills their tank while remaining on the bike, except for the Harley riders, of course.
tonguesmiley.gif

So my official answers for your research are as follows:

1) Always fill while remaining on the bike and the bike siting level.

2) Many times I am not even getting off the bike, especially when I am in Iron Butt mode.

3) Never tested it, but my guess is that with the bike sitting level the tank has to accept just a little more fuel than if it were leaning somewhat. But to answer your question specifically, "significant difference?" No.

Sidestand because it is easier and quicker for me as I have never mastered putting the FJR up on the center stand. I've thought about fueling while seated on the FJR but I like being burnt even less than being cut so that is out.

None of the above. I have the stupid bitch of a girlfriend of mine fill it while I go smoke a joint.
Since you started it.....

1. Side stand (I use the right one)

2. Because everybody else seems obsessed with the left side stand and center stand.

3. A big difference! It only takes about a gallon of fuel before it fills up (or more accurately starts to splash out). Much cheaper to fill than the left side stand.

I never smoke joints while fueling. I use a vape pen with my cannabonoids and reserve my lighter for my crack pipe.

I don't fill it up. I stop 2" from the top using a carefully calibrated plumbob. From the front of the bike while balancing the bike with the handlebars.

Hell if I know.

What was the third question?

I fill the rear tank first then the main tank almost always on the side stand and since I have the aux tank in the rear I don't care about that .001 of a gallon that I thought would keep me from walking.....

Well Hud, ya knew this would go south quick, but since you're already there...

1. I'm another one that fills whilst astride.

2. Why - cuz it let's me get to the bathroom quicker when I'm done.

3. Who cares about a few pennies more or less of fuel.