Yamaha Trunk Letter I got today...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
OK...

Because I own an FJR1300, and they know that I appreciate and expect quality... Yamaha sent me a letter (which I'm sure we're all recieving soon).

They go on to explain how they developed the touring trunk to be used for those times when I don't want to use the saddle bags, and if I have one of their trunks this notice applies to me.

(It's broke, blah-blah, vibration, blah, blah, will fracture, blah-blah, see your dealer)

Now I don't have one, I thought they were big, ugly and pricy so I went with a Givi.

But the part that really rubbed me the wrong way was;

"In closing, let us take this opportunity to remind you that this travel trunk is designed to be used instead of saddle bags. Do not use the trunk at the same time as the saddlebags because of the increased risk of overloading your motorcycle. Also remember not to overload the trunk itself - maximum load capacity is 11 pounds."

What the hell? Can anyone find a Stock Yamaha photo that shows the bike with both a top trunk and saddle bags? I understand laywers and liability, and this is a big CYA letter, but come on. Do they really think we're that stupid?

Have some people over loaded the top case? Sure, happens with ever top case.

But do they really think anyone that's buying this is doing so for use w/o the saddlebags?

I got that letter last week and think its a load also. The reason to buy the trunk is for long haul capacity. I've never seen the box on a bike on the official Yamaha sites.

YUP...Got my letter today..I agree..I have the Givi e52 and its WAY better quality and looking than the YAMAHA...and NO PROBLEMS!!!!

WW

Hey, Y'all quit picking on my Yami top box! I'm going to call for reinforcement.

Oooops, too late! Yamaha already did!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I got a kick out of the letter. Use the trunk or the saddlebags but not both. Give me a break. At least they are taking care of the problem Hopefully the 07 trunks will ship soon. I don't want to use it - God forbid - just want it to look good :rolleyes:

They use to supply back boxes on there sport turing bikes. I rode an '84 Venture Royal for 13 years and the only restriction I can recall was to keep it under 80 with the bags on. I kept it under 120 usually :p I don't recall an actual weight limit on that top box.

YamahaVenture.jpg

I think Yamaha is just trying to cover there asses in the legal department by saying "don't do that" so when someone crashes and burns they can't blame Yamaha for not telling them.

caution.jpg

Well, in Yami's defense you guys gotta remember its being bolted to a plastic grab rail/rear rack. I'm no expert here, but asking that little plastic rack to hold up alot of weight seems unsafe to me. I'll stick to my Givi rack that's a steel frame.

Well, in Yami's defense you guys gotta remember its being bolted to a plastic grab rail/rear rack. I'm no expert here, but asking that little plastic rack to hold up alot of weight seems unsafe to me. I'll stick to my Givi rack that's a steel frame.
I don't think that's the issue. I have no problem what-so ever with the 11lb weight limit. I think my Givi said don't put more than 8lbs in there (might have been 14lbs, but 8 sticks in my head). I rarely have more than 8-10 lbs in there, but I have put more in it on occasion.

The side bags have absolutely nothing to do with the plastic grab rail. So using one or the other, or both won't change the load on that.

That's the part that irritates me to no end.

Just received my letter today! Don't ever recall seeing that warning when I bought or installed my yammie top box <_<

The rubber strip that is glued on the box does move and causes the box to move more. Wish i knew how it was going to be mounted before i

bought my bike or I would not have bought it. :angry: I bought my box at dealer cost when I bought the bike.

Wonder if i shouldn't take anyone for a ride as it might overload the bike :rolleyes: Might have to get a physical and sign a waiver

to buy a Yamaha from now on. I can hear it know......."I'm sorry sir, but due to you being a lard-ass, we can't sell you this fine Yamaha motorcycle!" :blink: