Question on electrical failures?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spook

Reaction score
For people who have had an electrical failure, switch wiring harness or other.

What electrical accessories did you have?

Where did you tie into the electrical system and how?

Lots of electrical farkles here, but they are ALL powered directly off the battery via a Bosch relay. So I guess the only thing drawing power through the ingition switch, or other is a single relay. Hardly enough to damage anything. As a matter of fact it probably draws as much or less than the accessory outlet, which in my case never gets used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of electrical farkles here, but they are ALL powered directly off the battery via a Bosch relay. So I guess the only thing drawing power through the ingition switch, or other is a single relay. Hardly enough to damage anything. As a matter of fact it probably draws as much or less than the accessory outlet, which in my case never gets used.
Thanks I am trying to get a feeling of a commonality of some of the failures we have been seeing. Sounds like a smart setup you have

See here for list of electrical add-ons. Everything is run directly off the battery via a Fuzeblock with the exception of the voltmeter, which is directly to the battery via a Bosch relay. I commonly use all the excess juice my FJR will provide since I commute in early-morning cold conditions.

So far, no problems. I'm going to go knock on some wood now.

See here for list of electrical add-ons. Everything is run directly off the battery via a Fuzeblock with the exception of the voltmeter, which is directly to the battery via a Bosch relay. I commonly use all the excess juice my FJR will provide since I commute in early-morning cold conditions.
So far, no problems. I'm going to go knock on some wood now.
Do you run the ground side to frame or directly back to battery?

Directly to the battery.

Edit: Oops, I just realized you were asking for info from those who have had failures, and I have not. Sorry for polluting your post. Back to my corner now.

I have a Centech fuse box wired directly to the battery powered via a relay. This runs the grip heaters and outlet for heated vest.

I also have a SEA connector directly to the battery to run the battery tender. This also runs my Slime Pump and GPS(Garmin 2730)so I need it to be alway hot.

I recently had a new wiring harness replaced due to the melted ground cap. Also had recalled ignition switch replaced within 100 miles of my electrical failure.

FYI, there is alot of info on this very subject in the "Ignition Failures on FJRs" here .

Be prepared to read ALOT of info. Somewhere at or after the 5th page is where this starts to be discussed. From what I can recall, I don't think anyone added extra components into the ignition switch circuit. The norm in this group seems to be: fuse blocks wired directly to the battery with a relay. Have fun readin'...

The norm in this group seems to be: fuse blocks wired directly to the battery with a relay. Have fun readin'...
+1

Gunny

stuff

My electrical issue was a blown fuse. Moral of that fiasco; PULL the damn fuses and do a careful visual inspection.

I never did experience the ignition issue; but I've had mine replaced under the recall/service bulletin

YMMV

Me thinks OP is thinking that heavy ground currents returning to battery via frame and not direct to B- at battery may be causing the melted ground point issue?

Me thinks OP is thinking that heavy ground currents returning to battery via frame and not direct to B- at battery may be causing the melted ground point issue?
That is one point. I saw some info in the other thread but I am trying to see if there is a common point on these failures. That is why I wanted input on what failure people had and how their extra equipment was wired in. From the very few responses it would appear that no one is that interested except for to complain when something fails. Searching through 50 pages of posts in several other threads is not getting the information all in one place to see if any thing is common to the failures.

Directly to the battery.
Edit: Oops, I just realized you were asking for info from those who have had failures, and I have not. Sorry for polluting your post. Back to my corner now.

no problem. A lack of troubles is also information to be looked at. Thank a lot.

Oh yeah, I guess you want to know that. Yes, complete failure in the end. I managed to limp from Arizona to Idaho before the harness gave up the ghost. That was two years ago, I think I was the first if not real close to it. Hopefully Yamaha will start stocking harnesses in the states, I waited for several weeks for mine.

Don't take this the wrong way, but the beginning of this thread starts off a little too secretive. Give us your theory and explain the types of data you've seen so far that led you to this theory. In the very long and successful Thread(s) related to ignition switch failures (which I experienced) it is made clear in the beginning what the purpose of the thread was. (Paraphrasing here) to gather data on all failures to date and was the zip tie too tight on the harness at the triple clamp?, had you had intermittent problems before?, etc..

Instead of just saying, "I'm working on a theory", which immediately put me in an "uhh-huhh :drool: state; tell us all what your theory is so far and give an explanation of the data and information you are basing it on. List the commonalities you've come across so far and which ones you're looking for more input on.

The ignition switch problem has been pretty much been beaten to death here, and there is a recall out now anyway, so if it is the grounding caps you're looking at say so, or a link in between the two even, say so.

Again please don't take offense but very little effort has been put forth by you in the opening post so don't get so pissy about, "no-one gives a shit" until you show that this is worthwhile and going somewhere.

You have obviously done a lot of reading of different posts and threads regarding the failure(s), so share a little and bring everyone up to speed on the theory you're working on and I bet the results will get better.

Here is another fabulous example of empirical data:Good Example

You could probably compile a list of all the recent and not so recent failures and come up with some similarities just from that.

I'm not busting balls here but rather trying to help because I for one think what you're trying to accomplish by doing this worthwhile and could benefit everyone. So cowboy up and finish what you started. You could be on to something. ;)

Don't take this the wrong way, but the beginning of this thread starts off a little too secretive. Give us your theory and explain the types of data you've seen so far that led you to this theory. In the very long and successful Thread(s) related to ignition switch failures (which I experienced) it is made clear in the beginning what the purpose of the thread was. (Paraphrasing here) to gather data on all failures to date and was the zip tie too tight on the harness at the triple clamp?, had you had intermittent problems before?, etc..
Instead of just saying, "I'm working on a theory", which immediately put me in an "uhh-huhh :drool: state; tell us all what your theory is so far and give an explanation of the data and information you are basing it on. List the commonalities you've come across so far and which ones you're looking for more input on.

The ignition switch problem has been pretty much been beaten to death here, and there is a recall out now anyway, so if it is the grounding caps you're looking at say so, or a link in between the two even, say so.

Again please don't take offense but very little effort has been put forth by you in the opening post so don't get so pissy about, "no-one gives a shit" until you show that this is worthwhile and going somewhere.

You have obviously done a lot of reading of different posts and threads regarding the failure(s), so share a little and bring everyone up to speed on the theory you're working on and I bet the results will get better.

Here is another fabulous example of empirical data:Good Example

You could probably compile a list of all the recent and not so recent failures and come up with some similarities just from that.

I'm not busting balls here but rather trying to help because I for one think what you're trying to accomplish by doing this worthwhile and could benefit everyone. So cowboy up and finish what you started. You could be on to something. ;)

Way too little input at this point and rather than come up with a half arsed theory for all of you to slap around as a lot of you are so good at I will await a little input. I have only seen one person put in that he had a wire harness failure and had all accessories tied directly to battery. If no one wants to add to the thread that's fine too. I have just been watching and have noticed there are quite a few electrical failures and I am trying to get my head around if there is anything in common. They all seem to be high current or high resistance problems. I think what I asked was pretty simple. What was your failure, what accessories did you have at the time and how were they wired into your bike. There are thousands of posts scattered all around this board most do not have the information I am looking for or it is spread out all over gods green earth. I just wanted to get the information in one location and then try to get an idea if there is any commonality in all of this. I do not have the time to go searching all over this board for that info. I would think that once all of this information is in one place it might give a clue to cause.

I would think that once all of this information is in one place it might give a clue to cause.
Gunny (for those with the problems)

Perhaps a "sticky" topic should be created at the top of the forum, as in the "Altitude Fix" and "Ignition Switch" stickies.

Maybe someone with too much time on their hands could begin compiling a thread.

Who's gonna step up?

Spook, you started it. Maybe you should re-think your goals on the issue and get with one of the admins through a PM and plan out such a project.

I'd suggest using an outline/format similar to the "FJRF003: Ignition Failures on FJRs, FJRForum Technical Bulletin and Information" sticky that Barabus created.

I'd definitely discuss the issue with DCarver and TurboDave for sure. And keep on eye on Shane Stump's wiring harness thread(s).