Yamaha touring screen v. CB 4"+ with flip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
Group buy is still open for a bit on the CB, so I'm trying to decide between the factory non-flip and the CB flip - both +4 inches...though the factory item is only 1/2" wider, whereas the CB comes in various widths.

Just put on a Mamaha touring screen [$110 shipped fron Flatout] and it is dead quiet fully up but I have to look thru it. Down position is about the same as stock. The shape of the screen is such that it curls back toward the rider and is not much taller in the down position. I like it and think it is the best looking screen out there.. Also I'm not that fussy about some wind noise-it is a bike and not a Caddy.

I just installed my cb +4 with flip last week from the group buy to replace the Yamaha touring, but I still have not tested it yet due to my busted collar bone. I'll let you know in a few more weeks, but the GB may have expired by then.

All I can report is that the tint and flip makes it look sharper.

Edit 7/12/09

I finally did get a chance to test the CB today and I am very pleased with it. No more NOISE after it's raised between 1/2 and 3/4 way up. I still had noise with the Yamaha touring up all the way. I think I'll get rid of the earplugs now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two CB screens, A Eurocut Monsterflow for non-summer, and a +2 w/flip for the hot season. This group buy would be a good chance for others to get more than one, if that's indicated by the weather and season length in your area....

No experience with the ahamaY touring screen...but I'm in the same boat (so to speak) as you are in the winter. My cold weather screen is a CB +4 tall, +3 wide w/ flip. It provides more than ample coverage during the colder months and doesn't look like a bar door on the bike.

Pic when I lived on the East side...

Cee4-3Front1.jpg

--G

I like the yamaha touring. Got it for less than 100 from SouthSeatleSportsPlaza. I not real fussy about windshields though. Like the standard one for the summer and leave it down unless it rains.

I've had both. Originally bought the Yama Touring. In the down position it felt like it came back toward the rider to much, I guess because of the curve of the shield. When up full up it did give a little quieter ride but still too much wind noise for me. Above 40 mph it had a loud whistle, I believe it was due to the fact that it didn't have a foam gasket like the stock shield has. It, IMO was too flexible. It moved around way too much for me. I now have a CB +3 high +3 wide with flip. I like it better than stock and Yama Touring shield. On days in the mid 90's in can get a little hot but other than that it's great. The shield is very sturdy and quiet air behind it. I can feel slight back pressure at times, but have been able to raise or lower the shield to eliminate it. I would definitely spend the extra money and go with the CB.

Yamaha Touring

004.jpg

Cee Bailey

007.jpg

Yamaha Touring

YamaTall.jpg

Cee Bailey

013.jpg

Cleaned the bugz of my new Mamaha touring screen for the first time which I ordered off a parts fiche[the screen, not the bugz] and noticed a little logo in the lower left corner. Apparently made by National Cycle..fine with me as it seems better quality than the OEM screen that came on the bike..

I've never tried the Yami tall shield, but have heard many complaints about buffeting and having to raise it up to the point of looking through it for smoother air.

I do have a Vstream and a Cee Bailey +2 high +0 wide flip shield. Both work great for their respective seasons. I use the Vstream in the winter because of it's greater width and subsequent wind protection. In the summer, the CB gets installed because it's shorter and narrower and therefore allows more cooling air. Yet the CB still provides smooth (non buffeting) air when raised up (and I don't have to look through the shield).

You're welcome to try either shield for a test ride. I'm down in Bonney Lake. Just pm me if you're interested.

I've never tried the Yami tall shield, but have heard many complaints about buffeting and having to raise it up to the point of looking through it for smoother air.
I do have a Vstream and a Cee Bailey +2 high +0 wide flip shield. Both work great for their respective seasons. I use the Vstream in the winter because of it's greater width and subsequent wind protection. In the summer, the CB gets installed because it's shorter and narrower and therefore allows more cooling air. Yet the CB still provides smooth (non buffeting) air when raised up (and I don't have to look through the shield).

You're welcome to try either shield for a test ride. I'm down in Bonney Lake. Just pm me if you're interested.
Many thanks Harald! Let me check my schedule and I'll ping you with a day at some point. :)

I had a tough time finding many images of what I was considering, so I'm gonna tack onto this thread rather than start a new one - in the hopes it'll help others shopping, see what to expect.

I got this Cee Bailey thru the group buy - and wow, was it shipped quick. :clapping:

(Getting all my luggage kinda staged for a 10 day trip to the Canadian Rockies in a few weeks)

+2"h, +3"w, dark tint w/ flip - shown in lowered position all pics.

CeeBailey1.jpg

CeeBailey3.jpg

I've had both. Originally bought the Yama Touring. In the down position it felt like it came back toward the rider to much, I guess because of the curve of the shield. When up full up it did give a little quieter ride but still too much wind noise for me. Above 40 mph it had a loud whistle, I believe it was due to the fact that it didn't have a foam gasket like the stock shield has. It, IMO was too flexible. It moved around way too much for me. I now have a CB +3 high +3 wide with flip. I like it better than stock and Yama Touring shield. On days in the mid 90's in can get a little hot but other than that it's great. The shield is very sturdy and quiet air behind it. I can feel slight back pressure at times, but have been able to raise or lower the shield to eliminate it. I would definitely spend the extra money and go with the CB.
Yamaha Touring

004.jpg

Cee Bailey

007.jpg

Yamaha Touring

YamaTall.jpg

Cee Bailey

013.jpg
Is it as clear optically as the stock?

Yes.

I went with the clear CB +4", +3", and it's as clear as stock, though there is a ripple where the flip portion bends up - not problematic, not distracting either - just noticable as you look down from the riding position. Certainly not an issue while riding.