New place to mount cruise servo on a AE!!! L@@K

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
Well after saying I would never install a cruise on a AE model, I did another one. This time it worked great, and I found a place to mount the servo and the under seat computers are not moved. This is a great plus because IMHO if there ever was a problem a dealer would blame the computer move. A fine FJR guy from Texas came up for the install, and here are some pic's.

First the water pipe had to be removed. To do this about a quart of coolant had to be drained. Remove the big hose on the left, and the two allen bolt holding the pipe to the head.

IMG_0784.jpg

Remove the pipe and place the servo in the hole right above the radiator.

IMG_0785.jpg

Replace the pipe, refill the coolant. You just look the extra servo cable around and back to the hookup point. I will be doing AE this way from now on. Check the vender forum for details.

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

Hope this help some of you AE guys out there. Best way I have found. It is a little time consuming, but worth it IMO. Enjoy...Smitty :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Smitty,

Any concern with engine heat on the servo? I may just move my servo from under the seat to this location to free up the underseat space.

I think this location is going to fry the servo in either its electronics or the materials.

But, my question is: will this location work for the A model also?

-BD

I think this location is going to fry the servo in either its electronics or the materials.
But, my question is: will this location work for the A model also?

-BD
Smitty,

Does this mean you need to "redo" mine properly :D :D !

Best Regards,

Shane

P.S. So far, working GREAT!

You guys do realize that these Audiovox cruise control units are made to go under the hood of a car don't you? :blink: :glare: I think the cruise control servos will be FINE in this location. SCRAP the chin location for the servo.

On ANY '06 model FJR, this under the T-bar installation should be THE stadard for the CCS100 install. It frees up the under seat space. You don't have to move the throttle cables, just ease them aside. The servo really does NOT block the airflow coming through the tank via the big holes in the frame. So the servo unit gets a good bit of air cooling, and where it sits on top of the engine is actually the "water jacket" isn't it? It doesn't get all THAT hot there. (See the first line above.)

Looking at Smitty's pic, you can't really tell how nicely the servo unit sits up in that space. It's an awesome fit, and a terrific idea. Too bad it won't work on first gen bikes, otherwise it would be the overall standard installation.

BTW, I got to stand there and watch my man Smitty do the install on Ziggy's AE. ' Boy's got some skills. He's like the tazmanian devil putting in one of these units. A whirling dervish. Don't get in his way. Stand back and watch the magic! Well done Smitty!

You guys do realize that these Audiovox cruise control units are made to go under the hood of a car don't you? :blink: :glare: I think the cruise control servos will be FINE in this location. SCRAP the chin location for the servo.
On ANY '06 model FJR, this under the T-bar installation should be THE stadard for the CCS100 install. It frees up the under seat space. You don't have to move the throttle cables, just ease them aside. The servo really does NOT block the airflow coming through the tank via the big holes in the frame. So the servo unit gets a good bit of air cooling, and where it sits on top of the engine is actually the "water jacket" isn't it? It doesn't get all THAT hot there. (See the first line above.)

Looking at Smitty's pic, you can't really tell how nicely the servo unit sits up in that space. It's an awesome fit, and a terrific idea. Too bad it won't work on first gen bikes, otherwise it would be the overall standard installation.

BTW, I got to stand there and watch my man Smitty do the install on Ziggy's AE. ' Boy's got some skills. He's like the tazmanian devil putting in one of these units. A whirling dervish. Don't get in his way. Stand back and watch the magic! Well done Smitty!

Ziggy here AKA (MrZel)

I agree compeatly with FJRocket it was a sight to see Smitty do his thing some of the best work I have ever seen vary vary good high quality job lives up to his reputation.

I loved the roads near Hooterville and I am planing on going back in spring for some riding , this time I dont want to end the the way it did this time. Me and a ditch came together with a vary expensive and painfull crunch. Good news is the FJR was still in good enough shape to ride home around 800 miles back to Texas also was better ride with the new cruse control. Hope bike in not total loss hate to think on all of Smitty's work going to waste since he put all the good stuff in!!! :(

So am I the only one that is concerned that the top of the head might be getting less airflow using this method?

Thanks Mike for the pat on the back. It was a great weekend till Mike fell down on his 06 with 1500 mile on the clock. I am thankful he was not hurt badly, it could of been a lot worse. I am very blessed with a network of motorcycle friends out there. By the time I noticed Mike was not behind myself, FJRocket, and KSFJR and turned around help was there. Some good friends of mine were going the other way and came up on Mike. One sweet gal Sue (FJRocket has the hots for her) is a firefighter/emt, and was checking Mike out when I got there. A nice local when home and brought us some duct tape to hold the body work on. I did not want to say anything about this crash till Mike did. Glad you mad it home in one piece, Smitty

Heres some crash damage....

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

So am I the only one that is concerned that the top of the head might be getting less airflow using this method?

The top of the head is cooled by water in the radiator. On the 03 to 05 models this spot is filled with wiring, hoses and other stuff. IMHO I think this is the best place for the AE. But it would also work fine on the 06 A model. Smitty

Ziggy here AKA (MrZel)

I agree compeatly with FJRocket it was a sight to see Smitty do his thing some of the best work I have ever seen vary vary good high quality job lives up to his reputation.

I loved the roads near Hooterville and I am planing on going back in spring for some riding , this time I dont want to end the the way it did this time. Me and a ditch came together with a vary expensive and painfull crunch. Good news is the FJR was still in good enough shape to ride home around 800 miles back to Texas also was better ride with the new cruse control. Hope bike in not total loss hate to think on all of Smitty's work going to waste since he put all the good stuff in!!! :(
Ziggy,

First, I am glad you are OK! The bike can be repaired.

If you ever want to go on a BBQ ride, drop me a line. I ride through Georgetown on HWY 29 everytime I am heading to the HC from College Station.

Best Regards,

Shane

Glad to hear everyone is alright, seeing picks of the sick Feejer was painful.

The top of the head is cooled by water in the radiator.
Yup, so are lots of other bikes that have suffered valve problems. The interesting part is that they do not suffer valve problems in in all of the valves, just specific ones. On my v65 it was on the number 2 cylinder, I forget which cylinder was prone to problems on the 03-05 Feejers. Both of those could be oiling problems, but I don't think those water jackets in the head guarantee uniform temps. Anyways, may not be a problem, just thinking out loud.

On the 03 to 05 models this spot is filled with wiring, hoses and other stuff.
Ah, you win :)

Sorry about the spill, glad you checked out okay and were able to ride back,

take care and good luck with getting her back together with out the duct tape.

Mike I'm very glad that you made it home. All things considered you were quite lucky.

We went on a ride the next morning with some other guys and I peeled off after about an hour and headed back to Kansas City. Not far from your incident one guy on a ZZR took a spill and wasn't quite so lucky as he had to be taken by ambulance to a hospital.

You will have to come back for the Hooterville 400 next spring and you and I will take a little slower paced ride while the big boys burn up the roads.

Chester

Mike I'm very glad that you made it home. All things considered you were quite lucky.
We went on a ride the next morning with some other guys and I peeled off after about an hour and headed back to Kansas City. Not far from your incident one guy on a ZZR took a spill and wasn't quite so lucky as he had to be taken by ambulance to a hospital.

You will have to come back for the Hooterville 400 next spring and you and I will take a little slower paced ride while the big boys burn up the roads.

Chester

I will be back up to hooterville in the spring god willing and if the creeks don't rise hell I will be there even if thay do but not if god is not willing as I owe him after this last friday and I going to be listening a little more to what he has to say well enough of the rambeling see you then and happy riding !!!

Ziggy B)

Y'know, from looking at those unfortunate photos, I'd say that slider did its job!

Good thing you installed 'em....

Y'know, from looking at those unfortunate photos, I'd say that slider did its job!
Good thing you installed 'em....
10-4 on the sliders I will never ride without them thay save many things but mostly the riders legs and feet

without them probly alot more damage to engine also causing posiblty of total loss on bike if engine and plastic is damaged already plenty of damage with them.

Ziggy B)

I realize this thread is less than a year old, so we've not been thru the hottest part of the year yet, but has anyone had any heat related problems with this install? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra 55 bucks to burn up a server every few years.

The servos are made to be put in the engine compartment of a car. I don't think the amount of heat over the top of your water jacket is going to be an issue.

My servo is still in the chin of my AE, within about 2 inches of those glowing hot pipes. And a couple thousand miles later it still works fine. Time will tell, but confidence is HIGH.

If you want the room under your seat for other stuff, put the servo under the gas tank. Right now, I have my HID ballasts in that location under the tank. So if you are thinking about installing some big HID ballasts, you might want to put them under the tank and the cc servo under the seat. Would not recommend anyone put the cc servo in the chin, but it works for me (so far).

I just put a CC on my 06 AE. After much searching, I ended up mounting the servo under the right muffler mount. It's pretty much hiden by the mount.