CeeBailey +4w x +2h with flip windshield on 2007

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
CeeBailey +4w x +2h with flip windshield on 2007.

I’ll take this opportunity to brag about the quality of the CB shield. The material is indeed aircraft grade and thicker than most. Optical clarity is superb. There are no surface aberrations or optical distortions of any kind. All the edges are ground uniformly. The only problem I can report is a slight misalignment of the two outer bottom mounting holes, which in my opinion, need to be moved about 2mm each.

Cheap it’s not. Delivered price as ordered direct from CB was close to $200. But IMO you will be hard-pressed to find a better quality shield.

Pictures at bottom of this post.

Test ride report:

60 mph – 1/3 up position, very quiet ride, my favorite height.

* Noise level similar to having the window “cracked open” on the cager.

* No noticeable buffeting, no noticeable backpressure.

* Minimal airflow over the hands similar to having handguards. Even fingertips felt no wind.

* 15-20 mph surface winds; headings 045 & 315; the wind pushes with very manageable buffeting to the bike. Nothing drastic or sudden. Headings 090 & 270, wind pushes the high-velocity airstream coming off the sides of the shield into the arm bends (elbows) and against the torso side. Air is strong but very clean. No swirling or nasty turbulence, just definite pressure from the added force of high-velocity air flow being redirected.

80 mph – fully retracted position.

* Expected wind noise and pressure on the top half of my helmet. I’m 5’10” (178cm) in height.

* Removed a glove and tested air stream position. High-velocity air stream is extremely clean and touches the helmet just at the top of my face shield.

* At this shield height there is very little backpressure. I know this because there is minimal air flow going down the helmet face and my ride jacket barely balloons forward.

80 mph – 1/3 up position, very quiet ride, again my favorite height.

* Similar to fully-retracted except there is virtually no wind noise in the helmet. Ear plugs are in no way necessary. MP3 player sounds great a medium volume setting.

* Crosswind effect from 045 & 315 headings is slightly reduced as compared to 60 mph test.

80 mph – full up position.

* Similar to 1/3 up position in that everything is quiet. I expected an increase in air flow across my hands and fingertips but surprisingly found none. The bottom part of the shield seems to work equally well with guarding the hands at all positions.

* Backpressure is somewhat increased. Ride gear balloons forward with slight force, but still no discernable force on the back of the helmet.

* Gas mileage decrease of approximately 3 mpg over the fully-retracted position due to the increased drag.

* No noticeable change in crosswind performance.

110 mph (speaking in theory of course)– fully retracted position.

* All air stream edges are very clean. I leaned out to each side, raised and lowered my head height to position my body both in and out of the high-velocity stream. The air was amazingly clean with no buffeting or noticeable turbulence on the sides or the top stream.

* Helmet lift was an issue, but always has been on the old, 2003 model HJC that I tested with. Sorry, new helmet not yet ready for testing!

* No noticeable back pressure from against the tank to halfway back on the passenger seat.

Note: All tests were performed with a Yamaha top case in place, 65F temps and sea-level altitude. Air density was “medium” with humidity in the 40% range.

S5001423.jpg

S5001426.jpg

S5001427.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
# one, how tall are you?

# two, the gasket on the new windshield, did it come with the Cee Bailey, or did you have to take it off the origional.

# three, looks like you stole my bike, I'm going to the garage to see if mine is still there.

# one, how tall are you?# two, the gasket on the new windshield, did it come with the Cee Bailey, or did you have to take it off the origional.

# three, looks like you stole my bike, I'm going to the garage to see if mine is still there.
A. 5'10"

A. No, the CB did not come with a new gasket and I did not try to use the original. Was afraid of ruining it. So still looking for the right material to make a new one.

A. Next time, please fill it up so that I don't have to stop so soon!

:)

The only problem I can report is a slight misalignment of the two outer bottom mounting holes, which in my opinion, need to be moved about 2mm each.
Hey Jeff, thanks for all your effort on this. I think you've sold me. But, what did you have to do to get the screen mounted with these misaligned mounting holes? For $200 they should have been perfect.

Thanks, John

# one, how tall are you?# two, the gasket on the new windshield, did it come with the Cee Bailey, or did you have to take it off the origional.

A. 5'10"

A. No, the CB did not come with a new gasket and I did not try to use the original. Was afraid of ruining it. So still looking for the right material to make a new one.

A. Next time, please fill it up so that I don't have to stop so soon!

What gasket? :blink:

Now, that's some shit Jeff... you told me that bike was black! & I see you're STILL on the telephone! :lol: :lol:

great write-up!

contrasting.... i am 6'0" and have the exact CB on an '06. If I had to do it again.... I'd get +2.5H or +3.0H +4W with flip.

The only problem I can report is a slight misalignment of the two outer bottom mounting holes, which in my opinion, need to be moved about 2mm each.
Hey Jeff, thanks for all your effort on this. I think you've sold me. But, what did you have to do to get the screen mounted with these misaligned mounting holes? For $200 they should have been perfect.

Thanks, John
The holes did work as-is, but only because they are oversized. It may be that the holes vary from bike to bike. But all the other ones lined up perfectly. Only the two bottom/outer holes did not perfectly align. So I consider that a flaw in the shield. However, it is manageable, just not perfect.

Thanks for all you info Jeff.

I ordered a +2H, +3W flipper yesterday.

Edit 2/22:

Wow! They must have had one in stock. Got an email today w/ tracking number, it should be delivered next Tuesday.

OK, you sold me.......you get to go first and I'll draft you.jim
Since the pre-06 bikes don't have the added vents, we'll need to make the cutouts in yours to relieve the back pressure.

Hey, I know somebody who can do it!

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the write up... you sold me.... Whats the black thing mounted on your left rearview mirror...

Keone

Hey Jeff,Thanks for the write up... you sold me.... Whats the black thing mounted on your left rearview mirror...

Keone
Supposed-to-be clamp-on convex mirror that I stuck on with 3M Doublestick foam tape. Mirror is right size and shape, but the outer housing is too large and ugly, and leans back too far when attached. I'm working on a homemade mounting bracket that will attach just the convex mirror portion to the OEM stock mirror. Work in progress...

I have a new CB +4, +4 flip in the garage but am having trouble getting the front cover off.

Never mind! Found out about the two screws (see other post).

I have the new shield installed. I had the same problem with the two lower mountinting spaced too far to the outside an 1/8 inch or so. I just sprung it a little and put those in first. It worked.

Thanks,

Thanks for the info Jeff, I really appreciate that you posted the pictures of the stock windshield over your new CB shield, hope it wasn't too much of a pain in the ass.

As a result I placed an order for a +2+4 flip shield as well in a light grey tint, hopefully it isn't too dark for night rides.

You mentioned in another thread a background in aviation, any details you can share?

Myself, I'm a captain for a large regional airline in Canadair Regional Jets (the little ones everybody hates) but primarily train and check other pilots.

I’ll take this opportunity to brag about the quality of the CB shield. The material is indeed aircraft grade and thicker than most. Optical clarity is superb. There are no surface aberrations or optical distortions of any kind. All the edges are ground uniformly. The only problem I can report is a slight misalignment of the two outer bottom mounting holes, which in my opinion, need to be moved about 2mm each.

Cheap it’s not. Delivered price as ordered direct from CB was close to $200. But IMO you will be hard-pressed to find a better quality shield.
Jeff, thanks for the info & pictures. You say that it's 2" H x 4" W. From your pictures I can see the 2" high but looking at the pictures I can't see where it's 2" wider on the side at the point that Cee Baily says they measure it.

Guess I'll just have to ride over to Montebello and try them all on.

As a result I placed an order for a +2+4 flip shield as well in a light grey tint, hopefully it isn't too dark for night rides.
The light gray works fine for nite riding. The tint is very subtle.

Here is a few pics of a light gray +4 / +3 w/flip I just put on last week..... The first two are in the down position and the next two are fully raised.

Cee4-3Direct.jpg

Cee4-3Front1.jpg

CeeRaised.jpg

Ceesideraised.jpg

Initial impressions are very good. The shield is a barn door though...

--G