"Taildragger" tank for GenII FJR -

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitsdad

I'm confused - Just ask my Wife.
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
First - let me give you some stats about the tank.

Using the external measurements, the volume shows 4.65 gallons. I haven't filled it up yet, but I estimate at probably around 4.45 to 4.5 gallons capacity. I'll verify this tomorrow when I do the first fill.

The tank has a vertical baffle designed to stop fuel sloshing back and forth - (IBA requirement).

A 3/8" diameter tube is installed through the tank - sloping from the upper front and exiting behind the license bracket. This allows you to extend the wiring necessary for the license light, as well as any additional lighting you may want.

154307467-L.jpg

The brackets for the additional LED lights, the right side 'catch' or overflow tank, and the left side fuel line were added in by Ron Sampson during the manufacturing process. These can be varied to what ever you want.

The tank you see below is an ST1100 tank that Ron Sampson has been building using the Ron Majors design for quite some time. Note the date - this was taken on January 20 07.

124409022-L.jpg

Note the brackets - everything on this 'fitment' tank is designed to adjust in order to obtain the optimum measurements. The idea here is that I would live with the tank for a while, and once dialed in, Ron pulled the measurements and incorporated them into the production units - without any adjustment. This makes a far stronger rig. I rode the bike for a few weeks like this - some of you may remember seeing the bare tank at the Accident Management class held last January.

124409110-L.jpg

At this point, Ron had the tank powdercoated - wrinkle finish - and I installed it with full functionality.

I had originally decided to use 5/16" fuel line - but discovered that 5/16" would not make the turn radii that I wanted, so I used 1/4". As this tank is lower than the main tank, a pump is required.

So - where to mount it?

Here's the spot:

130819990-L.jpg

There is a lot of room up under the tail piece - I removed all of the plastic to do the install - and the installed rear seat shows just how much room exists. Lots.

130821986-L.jpg

The pump I used is a NOS 15760 - German made, they are going up in price with the devaluation of the US dollar - I bought this one last January for about 87.00. Now up to 96$$ - JEGS.COM seems to have the best price - Jegs NOS Fuel pump There are two pumps listed - The low pressure pump is what you want. Beautiful piece of equipment. A LA based LD rider gave me the tip on this pump - he doesn't ride an FJR - his ride is a GL1800 with a warp core installed. :dribble:

I mounted the switch here:

130822480-L.jpg

Yes, I cut a hole in my cowling. The switch you see here is a cheezy, supposedly sealed unit - the first one I installed came apart during the process - literally - came apart into all of it's components. So - I now have a Blue Sea switch - and it's not going to come apart. "Ya gets what ya pays for". I should have bought the Blue Sea first, and saved myself the grief. But - its a lesson learned.

So - riding along, I wait until I'm at 1 bar on the fuel gauge - then hit the switch. My tank fills back up. You just have to be darn sure that you have room in the main tank to take the fuel in the aux tank, or it will pump fuel out the vent line.

The pump is fused at 12v, 5 amps - I haven't been able to find the actual amps - but assuming that it's fused at twice draw, it's pulling somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 amps - or 36 watts while operating. I have it wired through the BlueSea fuse block, with it's own relay.

I've installed a Pingel petcock valve - this so the tank can be shut off should one of the fuel lines be damaged. In order to prevent a full main tank from backflowing into the aux tank, a kyton body/viton diaphragm check valve is installed in line. There are two disconnect fittings - one between the aux tank and the pump; the other between the main tank and the check valve. Both of these disconnects close the line when separated. A bulkhead penetration fitting is installed in the main tank, just as you would with any other tank.

The catch can is mounted on the tank vent -

154313180-L.jpg

I'll be installing a small fuel filter on the 'spill' line downstream of the catch outlet - this is to filter the air being drawn into the tank as it empties.

Ron makes his own lids - and affixes them with a length of brass chain - much easier to find the tank lid when it's attached ..

154307441-M.jpg

Having the weight of the fuel at the axle level has little effect on handling - when full, I do notice it in the front end - similar to having some weight in a top box, but being lower than the CG of the bike, it's much more stable. I used the 'fitment' tank in some very heavy winds, with no ill effects.

And - a side benefit - as some of you saw on the Death Valley ride last March, it can be used two up.

The fitment tank had some clearance issues - the production tank does NOT. And, you can still pull the rear wheel in your garage - just ask BigDolma.

I'll be taking some pics out in the sunlight tomorrow - I'll post those up when I get time.

As to price? I have no idea. Ron is still working up costs - he will sell you just the tank, and you can rig it yourself - and I understand that he will be making them available as a kit - tank, disconnects, fuel line, bulkhead fitting, check valve, fuel pump, etc.

If you want to contact Ron about this tank, PM me, and I'll give you his contact info.

And - I have to say this - the normal disclaimer applies. No afilliation, I don't profit by this, etc.

(Although he did say something about a bottle of tequila, a burro, and Tiajuana ....... ??? :blink: )

I'll be putting this tank to the test on June 1 - I'll let you know how it turns out.

More Pics:

154307516-L.jpg

154307367-L.jpg

154307502-L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet!

Man, watch your six like a hawk with that thing back there. Don't wanna be known as Hi-Temp-Hal.

Does Aerostich do Nomex?

Sweet!
Man, watch your six like a hawk with that thing back there. Don't wanna be known as Hi-Temp-Hal.

Does Aerostich do Nomex?

"Hi-Temp Hal" = I love it !! Wasn't that a character in Stephen King's "The Stand" ? I can assure you I won't be dragging nukes around with me.

Ya know, this design has been around ever since Ron Major came up with it - I'm not sure when, but at least 15 years ago. There is a forum admin that would know the history of the design - Warchild? Care to fill us in?

Maybe I need to rig a fire extinguisher on the bike ....

I ride and STOP very defensively, always try to give myself an "out" - and I'll check with Aerostitch on the Nomex thing... :blink:

Damn!!! Kait's Pop sure has some groovy stuff going on with his aux fuel cel.

This is way Kewl !!! Awesome X 10

Thanks for sharing and please keep us updated as this thing gets some real-world action. I had to read this post twice because I didn't believe it the first time. Very cool ...some real splendid engineering and thoughts with this thing.

PS: even if one didn't need/want the aux fuel ..this is awesome looking license plate holder. Probably could work as a wheelie bar too.

...renojohn

Well, I've been waiting for a sunny day to take pics - but SCREW IT - I could be waiting a while. So - I backed her out of the stable just a few minutes ago, and shot some pics. Low light condition triggered the flash, so the bag reflectors show gray.

155401723-L.jpg

155401750-L.jpg

155401558-L.jpg

155401513-L.jpg

Sorry bout the plastic car parked in the background there.

Ready to eat some miles:
155401608-L.jpg

I filled the tank Sunday - on the side stand, so it wasn't completely full - 4.3 gallons. So - 6.6 plus 4.3 equals 10.9 or so - if I reallllllyyy dribble it in to fill it to the top, it would be right at 11 gallons. Or, 9.5 without reserve. Depending upon my wrist problem, that would be a range of about 270 to 380 miles + reserve. Not bad.

Looks like Wonky's grown up.

So - does anyone out there have a bladder farkle I could install? Maybe I should find Morris (spelling?) and get his advice :blink: ....

Hal,

top notch looking cell. I know you are very pleased with the end result. I will look forward to checking it out on the B2B Extreme ride to Coutts 28-30 June. I will be on my AE with the Skyway cell on the rear seat, also a flawless working unit in the roughly 3K miles I have tested it. Look forward to the run.

Hal,top notch looking cell. I know you are very pleased with the end result. I will look forward to checking it out on the B2B Extreme ride to Coutts 28-30 June. I will be on my AE with the Skyway cell on the rear seat, also a flawless working unit in the roughly 3K miles I have tested it. Look forward to the run.
Thanks Dave, I'm looking forward to the ride myself. It will be so much more comfortable than our last multi-day ride, eh?

(at least for my butt....)

So - how are we going to come back? Perhaps a spin west to visit Desert Valley Power Sports in Prosser, WA, so we can commune with nature in that fancy loo that Dan Denchell has? It's been a while since I peed on rocks..... :blink:

The only thing I can think of is WOW, Good job!!

One thing to consider. A shield or half cover on the tire side for your pump to keep the road grime off of it in inclement weather.

If it were black powder coated, and came out in front of the pump/hose assy couple inches and then angles back a few inches to keep the work clean. But I am just ramblin, what you got is tons better than what I got (which is nothing)

Good job

The only thing I can think of is WOW, Good job!!
One thing to consider. A shield or half cover on the tire side for your pump to keep the road grime off of it in inclement weather.

If it were black powder coated, and came out in front of the pump/hose assy couple inches and then angles back a few inches to keep the work clean. But I am just ramblin, what you got is tons better than what I got (which is nothing)

Good job
Thanks, Cdog, but 'pump' ? Do you mean the catch tank on the filler vent?

The fuel pump is under the tailpiece - under the seat -

154307627-L.jpg

But you are still right about a shield to block the road sploodge from covering the catch tank - Ron and I are still working up some additional items, like a mounting bracket for the fuel pump under the seat. My current installation using tywraps is quite functional, but not very good looking. :blink:

A sploodge shield for the catch tank is a good idea - Thanks !

Yep, I stand corrected. The catch tank. Pretty looking but I think splooge would get to it.

I am impressed. Better'n I coulda done :rolleyes:

This is pretty damn sweet!

2 Questions:

1: Does the front end feel any lighter when it's full?

2: Roughly what was your out of pocket expense to pull this off?

This is pretty damn sweet!
2 Questions:

1: Does the front end feel any lighter when it's full?

2: Roughly what was your out of pocket expense to pull this off?

Answers:

1. I can notice when it's full - similar to having a full top box, but it's barely noticeable. The tank weighs maybe 15 pounds, and the fuel about 30 pounds - so a full tank at 45 pounds or so.

2. I don't know what these will be selling for. Ron is still figuring that out.

My out of pocket items:

Fuel pump approx 100.00 with shipping. There are other pumps out there that are less money.

Fuel line - about 6 feet or so.

Disconnect fittings - 2 each - about 40.00

Check valve - 5.00

Main tank penetration fitting - 45.00 or so.

LED lights (personal add - Ron can adapt the tank to whatever you want, if anything) 120.00

Vent Catch tank 45.00

Two titanium hose clamps to mount the catch tank - 16.00

Materials - wire, shrink wrap, connectors, Loctite 567, bolts, nuts, etc. 50.00

I dont want to come over as being a stick in the mud, however, has anyone really thought through the safety issues with having almost 5 gallons of gas sticking out in the open like that? It would take very little for it to get punctured and heaven help you if a cage even slightly hit you from behind.

Also, if you went down, that tank could very easily get smashed or punctured as the bike rotated and slid on the ground. If you went down and did a low-side around a curve, that tail section is very likely to be first impact into the ditch or guard rail.

With my flame suit on, I'll be honest and open with my opinion, it is not a safe place to keep 5 gallons of fuel.

Random thoughts...

Mark

With my flame suit on, I'll be honest and open with my opinion, it is not a safe place to keep 5 gallons of fuel.
Actual, real-world experience using a cell like this for several million miles without incident, indicates that this placement is not quite as deadly as your post might suggest.

Of course, the idea is to not get in a mishap to begin with.

How about a couple of small wheels on the bottom and you can wheelie down the highway all day!

I am continually amazed at the imagination and skill folks on this forum have...that's really an impressive piece of engineering and craftsmanship!

And therein lies the problem... :lol:

Actual, real-world experience using a cell like this for several million miles without incident, indicates that this placement is not quite as deadly as your post might suggest.

People also ride for a lifetime and millions of miles in states like SC and TX without ever wearing a helmet. However, I cant imagine anyone on this forum feeling like that is a good arument for not wearing a helment. Plenty of people have promiscuous unprotected sex for years and never get pregnant or STDs. However, that too is obviously not a good argument for having unprotected sex.

Unfortunately life is full of mishaps, many which are beyond our control.

More random thoughts..

Mark