Tire repair kits

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NovaFlyer

Reaction score
Evening folks.

Just putting together my 'road trip' supplies and I'm trying to track down a good repair kit. Now I've found the plug type, but folks have mentioned one's based on 'string'? Well I'm having a tough time tracking one of these down and was hoping you guys might have a company name I could use.

Thanx

Nova Flyer

Look in the FAQ's/Historical stuff section. Slapnpop has a very nice kit to carry on the bike. I duplicated his setup myself.

You can pick up string type kits at Wal-Mart, though you'll have to get an inflation device from somewhere else. Get the type with the t-style handle instead of the straight handle. It can be tough to shove those suckers through the tire and the t-handle helps.

On this issue...

I ran over a fence staple or something similar in the Oregon desert once. It put two holes side-by-side in the tire. It was impossible to get a plug to hold (my tire went down 6 times that day), but since I was leaving a rally and other riders were passing by, I had a chance to try all kinds of solutions in a real world situation -- bullet plugs, mushroom plugs, fix-a-flat spray in gunk, and the string plugs. The strings were by far the most effective and I've carried them with me ever since.

Reader's Digest version:

Tried Stop-n-Go Plugger kit with the mushroom plugs. Inconsistent results. Have now gone to sticky string type repair. Simple, light, effective. Got mine at Wallyworld. Looks like this:

prod-0044789-zoom.jpg

Here's a link for online purchase: CLICKY HERE

Then, purchase, or better yet make yourself a small compressor and you will be good to go. I have had a flat on every rear tire I have put on the FJR except for the current one. I am getting good at this shit. Though prefer not to have so much practice. :(

https://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2120
bmw tire repair kit. Can't be beat. Fit's practically anywhere.

I beg to differ.

Had occasion to try the BMW kit once. On a trip to Mexico, where you are SOL if you can't fix stuff yourself, one of the four compadres got a normal type wood screw in the rear, flattening the tire. His was a BMW, and the first thing we tried was his BMW kit. What an ass-pain to try and use, and after several attempts, the BMW plug would not hold air at all. So then we went to my Stop-N-Go plugger kit with the mushroom plugs. Well, these would hold air for about 25-50 miles, before spitting out the plug. This was one of a few examples where the Stop-N-Go kit didn't work properly (worked great several times too), hence my statement above about inconsistent results.

Eventually, we plugged it one last time with the Stop-N-Go mushroom plug, and one of the four had a can of "fix-o-flat" that we put in also. Bingo! That worked. Got us the 600 miles home. I think there is a lesson there somewhere.

So here's a big "Nein" to the BMW tire repair kit.

And cause every post should have a picture (T'dub can't read so well don't you know), here ya go. A couple piccies of my FJR powering the compressor that is filling up the air for that POS kraut krap down in ol Mexico :p :

Baja368.jpg

Baja369.jpg

Hey, I like the string hanger. Since I gutted mine and the gears are hanging out for all its glory, I was planning on sitting there and holding the damn thing.

(Now, using your best Mr. Rogers voice...)

Can you say "Dumb-Ass"? I knew that you could.

Thanx for the input folks.

Did the Walmart run and picked up a kit. I'm hoping it's going to be like my helmut and be just insurance instead of a product I use.

NFlyer

1024474872581696852_rs.jpg

I saw the Stop & Go Pocket Tire Plugger in action on the Central Coast Romp ride in late April, and it worked so well that I bought one myself the following day - repairs took 7 minutes from start to finish. I think it's much better than the string-type plug kits. Add a 12-v compressor and a place to plug it in, and you're good to go.

Here's it is in action: Topic 7488

DSC04276.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the Stop & Go Pocket Tire Plugger in action on the Central Coast Romp ride in late April, and it worked so well that I bought one myself the following day - repairs took 7 minutes from start to finish. I think it's much better than the string-type plug kits.

Clarify please. Why do you think that? Have you used both methods several times each?

I have. And the Stop-N-Go plugger only had about a 70% success rate. Un-acceptable in my not so humble opinion. Several times it worked, and several times it did not. So far, the sticky string method has 100% success rate in my experience.

And, the same results have been reported by others with a lot of miles under their belt. There have been several instances of forum members reporting poor results with the Stop-N-Go plugger, and universal praise for the sticky string type repair kit.

So why pay extra $$$ for a fancy kit that's heavier, takes more room, and most importantly, is not as reliable?

Clarify please. Why do you think that? Have you used both methods several times each?
I have. And the Stop-N-Go plugger only had about a 70% success rate. Un-acceptable in my not so humble opinion. Several times it worked, and several times it did not. So far, the sticky string method has 100% success rate in my experience.

And, the same results have been reported by others with a lot of miles under their belt. There have been several instances of forum members reporting poor results with the Stop-N-Go plugger, and universal praise for the sticky string type repair kit.

So why pay extra $$$ for a fancy kit that's heavier, takes more room, and most importantly, is not as reliable?
I'll gladly defer to your experience on this one, as I've only seen the Stop-N-Go plugger in use, but have not yet had the need to use it myself. Based on what I saw - a quick, successful, efficient repair - it seems better than the string types, which I've used successfully but have never really liked. You're direct experience over many incidents with both types has got to be the better indicator.

And obviously I missed the comments in your earlier posts in this topic, where you fully explained your reasoning. Oops.

Check out the areostich warehouse....you can order online & they carry almost every type of flat repair kit you can think of....

I'm with ScooterG on this one. I carry the EXACT same tire plug kit, along with a small compressor. I've used it three times, with good results. There is some technique to learn with the string plugs. It's all in the wrist. (For most of us, that shouldn't be a problem <obscene hand motion> :D )

The last flat I got on the FJR was a nasty cut tire that was too big for a plug. I was lucky to get home, saw the flat the next morning. Of course, it was on a one-third spent Avon. I think I picked it up at the drive-through for the new Chicken Express. Mmmm, fried chicken.

Tire was replaced, all is well.

I'm with Skooter. I had inconsistent results with my Stop-N-Go (after lots of practice too). Sometimes they'd hold air for over ten minutes... and then leak. I changed to a $10 Monkey Grip kit similar to what is posted (but not T-handled) and all is right with the world again. Sticky string plugs flat-out work!

I'm with Skooter. I had inconsistent results with my Stop-N-Go (after lots of practice too). Sometimes they'd hold air for over ten minutes... and then leak. I changed to a $10 Monkey Grip kit similar to what is posted (but not T-handled) and all is right with the world again. Sticky string plugs flat-out work!
A suggestion on t handle or not.. I took a straight handle setup and drilled a 1/4 hole about 1/2" down from the top of the handle and then insert the cleaner tip through making a nice t-handle, breaks down for better storage.

A suggestion on t handle or not.. I took a straight handle setup and drilled a 1/4 hole about 1/2" down from the top of the handle and then insert the cleaner tip through making a nice t-handle, breaks down for better storage.

Thanks, going to get the drill...

I have used the string type plugs with good luck, also.

In addition to the string repair kit I also carry a small bottle of Slime tire sealant. Wouldn't be my first or second attempt but some leaks can be persistent and if you are out in the sticks the Slime can seal up a persistent leak. I know it makes a mess when removing the tire and I really don't like the basic idea of it but the stuff DOES work and could be invaluable in certain cases.

On one rather long trip in the hinter lands of north western Canada my riding partner picked up a nail in his GW rear tire. We plugged and stringed and that tire kept going flat for several days. Finally Slimed it and made it home. Turns out the nail he ran over was long enough that it went thru the tread and stuck into the back side of the sidewall making a small enough hole to seep air but not large enough to identify from outside. The Slime sealant saved the day. I've carried it ever since.