Tire repair kits

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sticky string + compressor here, too (Haven't used the compressor I bought for the bike yet, but it fits under the seat w/o mods ~$18 at Kragens?/Schucks?). I have successfully patched 3 FJR rear tires and a tire on the wife's car with sticky string. Success being thousands of miles driven/ridden on the patches w/o significant air loss.

Since I tend towards belt-and-suspenders on some stuff, I also carry rubber cement from another string type tire repair kit in case the string has somehow lost its stick plus a hand-held bicycle tire pump (haven't tried to use that - hope I never need to).

Great thread! Thanks to all of you for some [obviously experience based] information! Only one personel experience w/ on the road flat repair:

What I had along at the time was cartridges and the conical push-in type plugs which a friend gave me and swears by. I note that no one here has mentitoned those, and I'm not surprised as I found myself SWEARING AT THEM, needless to say they don't work worth a diddley-fuck! All the insertion tool achieved was poking holes in the plugs [wasted the entire supply w/o success], to say nothing of the plugs being ideally shaped to get spit-out once pressurized. A fellow two wheeled traveller stopped to assist and his string plug performance was fast & effective! Rode the repair another 1000+mi fully loaded in 90+ degree weather, checked the integrity of the repair once the tire was changed out, still solid, ...no issues! Did not try the cartridges as I had made to a gas station/compressor before it went completely flat.

For what it's worth to me, I think I'll go w/ the Cycle Gadgets pump, not cheap but the size/shape is nice and compact and it'll save mucking w/ mods. That it jives w/ my Battery Tender plug [already in place] is a big plus! What I will need to locate is an extender for the electrical connection w/ the same BT plug on either end, preferable several feet long, ...any ideas where?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the dyna plugs and a slime compressor... I've never had to use them so I can't really grade them. The dyna plugs look like they would work like charm...

I'm surprised this kit hasn't showed up on this thread...

DSC00199.jpg

This is the kit I bought from MotoPumps.com several years ago.

It is a sticky string kit with a stripped down Slime air pump with goodies, all packed in a zip up pouch.

It lives under my seat just above the YCCS black box. My seat is on the high position so it fits on top of the riser platform...

DSC00197.jpg

Pretty slick unit. Mine has an SAE plug that fits on my battery tender lead. The battery tender lead has a 3 amp fuse in it.

The only thing I added is more sticky string.

Can't have too much of the stuff.
:rolleyes:

Brodie

I had to go to Crappy Tire (Canucks know what I'm talkin about) this afternoon to pick up some tranny fluid. Figgered while I was in there I'd go take a look to see if they had string patches. WOOT! Even had the heavy duty red ones! So there you go you buncha frostbacks.. want strings? As close as your nearest Crappy Tire. I think I'm covered.. carbon canisters, slime pump, mushroom plugs and sticky strings. Of course this means, I'll never need them.

Fair trade.

Sticky string and a slime compressor got me 1700 miles home last May. Don't leave home without them!

Tuesday Wednesday ;) is always a good day to dig up an old thread.

I was a believer in the Stop-n-Go tire plugger. (there's plenty of info early in this thread on what it is and how it works). It is a slick and nifty device, and the mushroom plugs look like a great idea.

In fact I plugged a Rear Pilot Road 2 in Denver on our trip last year. Nice hole from a screw, damn near the middle of the tire. I then put 7500 miles on said tire w/o any problems and it never, lost more than a lb of pressure in a month. I was *SOLD* on the Stop-n-Go.

Until last week. The weather finally broke here, so I pulled the bike out, checked the pressure (both tires were a little low but that was to be expected), and rode to work for the first time in 4 months.

About a mile away from work, my bike was handling like shite! Turn in was hard, and squishy. IT was a very, very windy day with 45-50 mph gusts so I kind of blamed it on that. I checked the front tire when I got to work and all was well.

Around Lunch time a buddy stopped by my office and said, "Dude, your rear tire is FLAT".

@%!#@$!!@#$

I finally broke away from work around 4pm, got out there, found my original hole and sure enough the plug wasn't there. No problem I thought, I'll plug it again, and I did.

Hooked up my $7.99 stripped down Wally World Pump. Let her rip for 10 minutes. Checked my pressure 10lbs. Hooked it backup waited 10 more minutes, checked pressure 10.5 lbs. WTF...

Closer inspection revealed YAH (Yet Another Hole), this time a little closer to the side wall, but not on the side wall. That also explained in my mind why the original plug came out. Loss of pressure and shape, and that plug just aint gonna hold. No problem I thought... I'll plug that too, and I did with the Stop and Go plugger.

I pumped up the rear, to 40PSI. That's what I normally run (Max-2).

And rode home ~30 miles.

At home I checked the rear. Warm, it had only 18lbs. In fact I could hear the tire leaking. Took a peak, and damni if both plugs were not there.

So I reached for my other Christmas gift last year out of the toolbox: https://www.tirerepairkit.com/

I had already used it to plug a car tire, and I plugged both of the holes. Pumped it up to 40lbs and let it sit over night. In the morning still 40lbs. (actually 39.5, but I probably let that .5 out).

I had already ordered tires, but there was still plenty of tread on these PR2's after 9500 miles. Anyway I'll cut to the chase.

I mounted new tires last night. When I removed the old one the 3 musroom plugs were there bouncing around the inside of the rear. The nealy sticky strings did exactly as advertised. A nice big knot, which after the tires were heated up had bonded with the tire. A much better and more prermanent fix.

Anyone want to buy a slightly used Stop-n-Go?

Last edited by a moderator:
As I have said before, if your a believer in the Stop-N-Go, it's just a matter of time before it screws you.

I had to go to Crappy Tire (Canucks know what I'm talkin about) this afternoon to pick up some tranny fluid. Figgered while I was in there I'd go take a look to see if they had string patches. WOOT! Even had the heavy duty red ones! So there you go you buncha frostbacks.. want strings? As close as your nearest Crappy Tire. I think I'm covered.. carbon canisters, slime pump, mushroom plugs and sticky strings. Of course this means, I'll never need them.
I have used them three times in my last 7000 miles. I have two in my tire at this time. One with 6500 miles on it. You never know.

I've been to the back woods of Baja, the back woods of Utah, both times, the BMW tire repair kit worked fine. In Utah, the cut was at least 1" long, 3 plugs, it got me home no issues.

Steve