Tire repair kits

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the same string type tire plugs that I've used on my cars and trucks for over 25 years--have never had a failure of the plug on any vehicle, including motorcycles. I always use rubber cement when inserting the plug, altho a lot of people don't. I rode the rear Avon tire on my '04 FJR over 5000 miles until it reached the wear bars after inserting a string plug. I had one experience with the soft mushroom type plugs that a friend inserted in a puncture in the OEM BT-020 rear tire on the FJR--the repair lasted about 50 miles to get me back home but the tire was flat again the next morning. I was going to buy one of the soft mushroom type repair kits until this happened, decided that the string type plugs were far better. And they are no more trouble to insert than the mushroom type plugs. Depending on where the puncture is, the flexing of the steel belts in the tire can cut the mushroom head off and the plug will fail. I've talked to several mc riders who have experienced the same thing.

I purchased a small foot operated bicycle pump from Wally Mart for about $10 that is compact and fits in my luggage case, along with the tire plug kit. I can easily pump up a rear tire on the FJR with this pump in about five minutes, no sweat.

A lot of riders aren't comfortable riding any distance on a plugged mc tire and that's fine--if it bothers you, replace the tire. For me, the string plugs work fine.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California B)

The simpliest thing that I have used, with success, is to carry a couple of cement screws of different size with the phillps tapered head and a small tube of rubber cement and carry a small air compressor like the sparrow for $25.00. I have pulled a nail and made the exchange to the cement screw and only lost 10psi. I have used the same screw twice and still have it available for the next time. I always replace the tire ASAP so this would not be a long trem fix for those who would run long term on a pluged tire. Sometimes simpler is better. RIDE SAFE

Oh, hey....any dallas kids want some free air chargers for the progressive suspension kits let me know. I can hook you up.

one of our group had a flet yesterday on a ride. One of the guys pulled out the mushroom type kit, i was impressed with it until he was done. It was still leaking air. I will stick with the string type.

Another vote for the sticky string plug method. But you need to practice before you're in a critical flat tire situation.

Don't laugh. If you've never done a tire plug, it ain't as easy as it looks. When I had a flat on the riding mower, the wife quit mowing the yard. Well, that's not acceptable. So I went to the tank bag and got out the EXACT Monkey Grip plug kit shown in this thread.

I located the problem in the mower tire, a nasty thorn. Pliers to pull it out. Then I used the abraision tool to rough up the puncture. No rubber cement and lighter, but I think it can't hurt to use them. The trick is to get the string plug to release from the insertion tool at the right depth in the puncture. Like so many of my favorite activities, it's all in the wrist.

I would recommend you find a way to practice plugging a flat. If you don't have an available flat that needs fixing to practice on, maybe your local tire place has a piece of crap wheel and tire that you can try.

PS: Tubless only :D

My one experience with plugging a tire was on the way back home from Reno. Winnemucca at 2:30 AM... My kit is the mushroom type, and it plugged the hole very well, and has now held for another ~3K miles.... I think I might eventually go to the string/compressor setup though... Not really fond of the CO2 cartridges.

Last edited by a moderator:
:blink: Wow, I've always carried the mushroom type flat repair kit with a CO2 filler gun and a box of CO2 cartridges.

I have had the good fortune in many many rides across the U.S. and Canada to not having experienced a single flat.

Seems the consensus among those of you that have experience with both mushroom plugs and sticky string that the sticky string works.

Would you also ditch the CO2 and go for a compressor that can be had through Aerostich and plugged into the 12V outlet on my '06?

Scott

No, I wouldn't ditch the CO2. I'd keep a half dozen cartridges as a backup to my compressor.

And I've had the best luck with mushrooms myself so I wouldn't say there is concensus. 3 repairs with mushrooms and I used all 3 as permanent repairs. Never had a failure.

But, I also keep the string as a backup.

I would ditch the CO2. In my experience, it is a PITA to use, and they are a one shot deal. So if your first attempt to plug the tire doesn't work, whatcha gonna do? So why use up the storage space?

I used CO2 a couple times and now don't carry any. The compressor has always worked great for me. If you don't want to strip one and build your own, I recommend this one: Powersport Tire Inflator at CycleGadgets.com

I've said it once, and I will say it again, skip the mushroom plugs and go with the sticky string. Sure, there is a good chance that mushroom plug will work. But there is a good chance it won't also. Do you want to take that chance?

I'll echo what others have said: Stop-N-Go is slick, but inconsistent. I've seen several fail, particularly in hot weather. I've heard theorized that the sawing action of the belt cords eventually cuts the plug. Never had a string repair fail and I've done quite a few.

On inflators, CO2 is the lightest/smallest, but once you've used the cartridges up (it takes about 3 to inflate a tire), you're SOL and sometimes it takes a 2nd try to get a seal. Bicycle pumps are low tech, but a lot of work and not particularly compact.

I'm now going electric. The Cycle Gadget gizmo is nice, but pricey. Some folks are using the $12 electric inflator you can get at Wally World, but it's bukly, although you can tear out the guts and put it in a smaller package.

I went with the Slime inflator for about $30:

https://www.slime.com/product.php?product=40001

Off topic, but if anyone has seen an adapter to interface these electric inflators to the typical screw-thimble inflators on air mattresses, I'd like to see it. I'm tiring of huffing and puffing for five minutes getting my Big Agnes air mattress inflated when I've got an electric inflator.

- Mark

Check the Wally-World section of air tool accessories. I think they are there.

No, I wouldn't ditch the CO2. I'd keep a half dozen cartridges as a backup to my compressor.
And I've had the best luck with mushrooms myself so I wouldn't say there is concensus. 3 repairs with mushrooms and I used all 3 as permanent repairs. Never had a failure.

But, I also keep the string as a backup.
Welp, we finally agree on something ;) (same here) x-tra CO2's, mushroom plugs and sticky string. Keep string in wax paper, wrapped neatly and inside a zip lock storeage bag, in the tray under the seat. The string plug tool(s) fit in the tool pack that came w/the bike.

I have used the Stop-N-Go tire plugger. I had the mushroom plugs in both front and rear tires and they lasted a good 15 months with a fair amount of ambitious riding on a Honda HawkNT650GT. I could not be happier with the results. I have never used the string type repair kit.

The negative thing about the Stop-n-Go plugger is ease of use. It is too easy to muck up the installation of the plug if not seated in the gun absolutely straight. Also if your puncture is at an angle this could cause problems with the integrity of the repair.

:rolleyes: Thanks guys for the great information. I know I can always depend on you all for some pretty significant insights and actual experience.

So now it's off to Wally World to get a string repair kit and last decision will be should I go for the "Slime Compressor for about $35 or for the high priced around world model in my Aerostich catalogue that goes for 99 coin of the realm.

Does anyone have any experience with either of those compressors? Any short comings or failures?

Scott

I like the Wally World compressor-$9.99 here in BF Iowa. I cut the blue plastic case off and removed the fan. It'll pump up a large car tire in less than 10 minutes. I've used it a lot on trips to top off tires, never started from zero. Ian, Iowa

Experienced the string repair yesterday, unfortunately. Held fine for the 15 or so miles to the shop for a new tire. I'm sold on this technique. Wouldn't try to run for very long on this fix...paranoid I guess.

Sheesh....those new tire prices never cease to give me heartburn. :(

I've used mushroom plugs on three different Avon rears and the plug worked well untill the tire got worn down to or past the wear bars. Then just a very slow leak. I even put a mushroom plug in my car tire last year that is still holding up. No leak. I'm 4-0 so I guess I'll stick with the mushroom plugs for now.

GP

Dynaplug.com

best tire plug system, no reaming of the hole (it'll damage the integrity of the tire even further)

simply remove nail or screw or whatever it was and insert plug, (if necessary up to 4 pieces)

Alfredo

Dynaplug.com
best tire plug system, no reaming of the hole (it'll damage the integrity of the tire even further)

simply remove nail or screw or whatever it was and insert plug, (if necessary up to 4 pieces)

Alfredo
Interesting idea

Is that a brass point? So that just ends up ratting around in the tire?

And the the string is a much smaller diameter than the hollow shaft of the tool.

I'm not sure Dynaplug is a better solution.

Edit: If the point would anchor to the inside of the tire, and added to the seal...

Another edit to correct terminology