Rifle Prototype Windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Rifle has been busy building a prototype screen for the 06 FJR. See Earlier Post.

Before anyone asks, I have not posted photos per request from Gary; this is a prototype, it's not a finished product yet.

For the record;

I’m 5/11, 32” inseam. Bike is stock; bars in the full back position.

Arai XD Helmet (full face helmet with built-in visor and shield; think cross-over of dirt and street and you’ve got the idea). The Arai XD is noiser than a true street bike helmet, so factor that into my comments below.

First Sight Impressions

1. The shield is ~ 4 inches taller than stock.

2. The shield has more of a 'curve' to it than stock. That is, it is deeper from the centerline to edges.

3. The shield uses blocks under it to angle it closer to the rider, to keep it less vertical.

4. The shield is wider than stock, with a very nice flair at the bottom for extended coverage of hands, wrists, elbows.

5. Clarity is perfect. No creases to look through. Optically correct.

6. The shape is very pleasing. My lady friend, who has an eye for shapes, commented immediately about how great it looked; so much better than stock.

4. Rifle is developing an adapter plate for the cosmetic blue 'W' shape on the front. The greater curvature of the shield doesn't allow mounting the shield to the existing Yamaha shape. Rifle is also looking at making a complete new 'W' unit with the correct shape and color matched. This is still to be decided.

Impressions After 200+ Test Miles

Test ride was +200 miles with ambient temps starting at 58 and up to 92 F.

1. Lowest position - Noisiest position. Much quieter than stock though ear plugs probably a good idea. On the positive side, the air hits low enough to provide cooling. The Arai XD was venting well and with my jacket unzipped the first several inches I was getting good flow through it too. The ride is a ‘sport’ ride; closest to the stock feel.

2. Medium position – The ‘Sweet Spot’. Noise down to almost nothing. Is the engine really making that sound? Hmmm.. so that’s what the front rotors sound like when brakes are applied. With ear plugs in, it’s almost too quiet. Surreal. Vision is still over the top, not through the shield. From low-medium to high-medium setting, I could still easily see over the top. Air flow for cooling is not as good as in the lowest position. The Arai still flowed cooling air, but the jacket was not. In this position, I could easily ride with helmet visor up, just sunglasses. This is my preferred style, but on only a few bikes can I ride this way; my eyes tear up easily in any kind of wind – so for me, this position is really a good find. The bug factor is excellent; only two bugs splatted on the eyeglasses or visor; normally the visor would have been a mess in the first 10 miles.

3. Highest position – Quieter yet. No cooling air flow. If sitting straight, can see over the top, but just barely. Would be great in really cold wet weather or for tall riders. I don’t like looking through the shield, so for me this position would seldom be used.

4. Rideability – The shield, for being larger stock, handled my 5 mile long dirt road very well. It doesn’t appear to be ‘overpowering’ the lifting mechanism, even at 40 mph on a stutter-bumped road.

Overall, I think Rifle has done a great job at the first prototype. I know that Gary has been reading the FjrForum windshield threads and wants to build the very best shield possible.

Disclaimer: I own no stock in Rifle, have no interest in the companies well being yada yada yada. Rifle did offer me a free shield for using my 06 as a test mule. This is my first use of any product made by Rifle.

My recommendation to Rifle would be (for me, my size) to cut 1” off the height. This would make the lowest position ‘sportier’ and provide even more cooling for those hot summer days just ahead. It would also make the full up position where I could see over the shield without having to sit straight up.

I’m very interested in doing a side by side comparison of the Rifle vs. the V-Stream. Maybe I can talk TWN into a ride..

And guys – Rifle is reading your comments. Post up and make your input known. It’s kind of fun to be involved in the development aspect.

Questions? Ask away and I'll do my best to post back quickly.

dcarver

Rifle has been busy building a prototype screen for the 06 FJR. See Earlier Post.
Before anyone asks, I have not posted photos per request from Gary; this is a prototype, it's not a finished product yet.

For the record;

Arai XD Helmet (full face helmet with built-in visor and shield; think cross-over of dirt and street and you’ve got the idea). The Arai XD is noiser than a true street bike helmet, so factor that into my comments below.

First Sight Impressions

2. The shield has more of a 'curve' to it than stock. That is, it is deeper from the centerline to edges.

3. The shield uses blocks under it to angle it closer to the rider, to keep it less vertical.

4. The shield is wider than stock, with a very nice flair at the bottom for extended coverage of hands, wrists, elbows.

6. The shape is very pleasing. My lady friend, who has an eye for shapes, commented immediately about how great it looked; so much better than stock.

4. Rifle is developing an adapter plate for the cosmetic blue 'W' shape on the front. The greater curvature of the shield doesn't allow mounting the shield to the existing Yamaha shape. Rifle is also looking at making a complete new 'W' unit with the correct shape and color matched. This is still to be decided.

1. Lowest position - Noisiest position. Much quieter than stock though ear plugs probably a good idea. On the positive side, the air hits low enough to provide cooling. The Arai XD was venting well and with my jacket unzipped the first several inches I was getting good flow through it too. The ride is a ‘sport’ ride; closest to the stock feel.

2. Medium position – The ‘Sweet Spot’. Noise down to almost nothing. Is the engine really making that sound? Hmmm.. so that’s what the front rotors sound like when brakes are applied. With ear plugs in, it’s almost too quiet. Surreal. Vision is still over the top, not through the shield. From low-medium to high-medium setting, I could still easily see over the top. Air flow for cooling is not as good as in the lowest position. The Arai still flowed cooling air, but the jacket was not. In this position, I could easily ride with helmet visor up, just sunglasses. This is my preferred style, but on only a few bikes can I ride this way; my eyes tear up easily in any kind of wind – so for me, this position is really a good find. The bug factor is excellent; only two bugs splatted on the eyeglasses or visor; normally the visor would have been a mess in the first 10 miles.

3. Highest position – Quieter yet. No cooling air flow. If sitting straight, can see over the top, but just barely. Would be great in really cold wet weather or for tall riders. I don’t like looking through the shield, so for me this position would seldom be used.

4. Rideability – The shield, for being larger stock, handled my 5 mile long dirt road very well. It doesn’t appear to be ‘overpowering’ the lifting mechanism, even at 40 mph on a stutter-bumped road.

Overall, I think Rifle has done a great job at the first prototype. I know that Gary has been reading the FjrForum windshield threads and wants to build the very best shield possible.

Disclaimer: I own no stock in Rifle, have no interest in the companies well being yada yada yada. Rifle did offer me a free shield for using my 06 as a test mule. This is my first use of any product made by Rifle.

My recommendation to Rifle would be (for me, my size) to cut 1” off the height. This would make the lowest position ‘sportier’ and provide even more cooling for those hot summer days just ahead. It would also make the full up position where I could see over the shield without having to sit straight up.

I’m very interested in doing a side by side comparison of the Rifle vs. the V-Stream. Maybe I can talk TWN into a ride..

And guys – Rifle is reading your comments. Post up and make your input known. It’s kind of fun to be involved in the development aspect.

dcarver
Dan,

thanks for the info. I have a Rifle Touring on my 05 and it has worked great for me for 40k miles. I look forward to seeing your FIRST article at WFO in July.

For the record;

First Sight Impressions

dcarver
I just put a 4"X4" cee baily on my 06 and I think Rifle may be on the right track.The 4" rise makes a huge difference in comfort but, without the "bubble", the height adjustment of the CB

really dosen't matter until the last few moments when the sheild comes up. The sheild just moves closer without any protection/calm air increase. The bubble effect would seem to be better suited for me. By the way I'm 6" with 34" inseam. I like the 4" on the CB and would't want it any lower. The width made a big difference for the passenger also.

I bought the CB because I needed releif now and they were available. I'll be watching closely for the 06 V stream and Rifle. I'll know what to look for.

Yesterday stopped by Rifle and Duane cut 1" off the 4" larger than stock shield. Only have 60 miles on the new shield, so this may be a bit preliminary, but it ROCKS. In the low position I can easily see directly ahead, the wind is hitting the upper torso about neck level (good for jacket cooling air) with no increase in noise level.

At full up I can see 1/2 through the shield, 1/2 over the shield. Split vision. Perfect.

Anywhere in-between is the sweet spot.

Now to find TWN to see if his Vstorm is installed so we can do a side-by-side comparison. I gotta say though, the Rifle works very very well.

Yesterday stopped by Rifle and Duane cut 1" off the 4" larger than stock shield. Only have 60 miles on the new shield, so this may be a bit preliminary, but it ROCKS. In the low position I can easily see directly ahead, the wind is hitting the upper torso about neck level (good for jacket cooling air) with no increase in noise level.
At full up I can see 1/2 through the shield, 1/2 over the shield. Split vision. Perfect.

Anywhere in-between is the sweet spot.

Now to find TWN to see if his Vstorm is installed so we can do a side-by-side comparison. I gotta say though, the Rifle works very very well.

dang! and to think I just drilled some holes in my stock shield.... works, tho...

I had a Rifle Solo fairing on my kid's 03 Honda VTX 1300...he loved it... just enuf to take the air pressure off your chest...diditn' do any long distance stuff, tho... since we were living iin Hawaii...oh, he totalled the bike and went thru the shield.. but things worked out ok...

I'm going to get the same shield fo my Suzuki Bandit, hope it works as well...

Will wait for your next report... the CB I also have it nice but no air flow at all... I was roasting the other day in the 90's, so I put the stock shield back on... still better than riding in the rain with no shield, but barely...

Oh, I'm only 5'6", have to shrink everything a bit...<G>

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered a rifle touring windscreen for my 05 on Christmas day and it arrived yesterday. The order to arrival date was a bit slow, but I later found out that the rifle staff took 2 weeks off over the holidays.

Looking at the box, my first impression was "What on earth did I do?" The packaging is larger than the deck on my lawnmower. This puppy better be worth it.

Installation... The tuning block installed with ease, and the included fasteners for the tuning block were appreciated. Total time to remove old shield and get the tuning block installed... about 10 minutes.

I was disappointed that the rifle windscreen did not come with replacement fasteners to replace the weak ones that are stock on the screen. Instead, I find myself using 5mm metal fasteners with a concern that the shield will not break away if I ever go through it. Looks like a trip to the dealer is on order. The screen fit fairly well, though not perfectly. I'm not sure if this happens with all aftermarket new shields, but I did have to "tweak" the shape of the screen a bit in order to get the holes to line up. The natural curve of the screen did not match the plane of the mounting bracket. When everything was tightened up it seemed to fit extremely well. From tuning block install to screen install time... about another 30 minutes due to the required pushing/tweaking of the screen to make the holes line up well.

On the bike.... This screen is quite an improvement in size when compared to the stock. It's a little tough to perceive exactly how much of an aesthetic difference the screen makes until you install it. It has a substantial presence when compared to the stock shield.

My first ride will be my normal commute tomorrow to work. I hope that I can ride in comfort from the wind. Even better would be to have enough of a quiet zone that I can hear the motorcycle at freeway speeds or possibly ride safely without ear plugs.

Last edited by a moderator: