2010 Both headlights out, WW dead, turn indicators dim

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okcbill

Reaction score
HELP.....

i know this isn't uncommon on a slightly older bike but my headlights went out intermittently over the last 6 months and now they are staying off. turn signal indicators dimly lit, windshield and horn inop and once the starter wouldnt crank....

i swapped out relays that i could access without removing fairing but now maybe need to dig further. low and high beams dead, first time this happened i replaced bulbs, not the problem. fuse good.

Bill

If the battery connections are good it sounds like a grounding problem - aka spider bite. Possibly another (non-spider) connector as well.

Almost certainly your S6 'spider'. This is the one under the 'glovebox'. There is a really useful diagram somewhere on the site by Queensland Ken.

Hopefully this link will get you there...............

Did Yamaha ever upgrade the wiring harness or did they just add the extra bypass loom used for the recall ?

I thought the 2010's had an updated harness ???

Hi Donal, I replied to his post on the other Forum, didn't realize he posted here as well.

I think it could well be that Front Cowling Coupler #3, down by the S6 neutral connector.

A good excuse to check both of them.

Good find !

You may want to find and apply some carbon (conductive) grease to the bridging piece.

If not some silicon / dielectric grease will do.

Did you have the neutral connector recall done on the bike ?

S6 it is,, at least it was slightly burned and everything works after cleaning...Thanks for the help!!
Thanks for reporting your findings!

Like Iggy mentioned, please report your failure at the National Highway Transportation Safety Agency. Go to www.safercar.gov to file.

Make sure to clearly state that the failed grounding connector is the one being addressed by NHTSA Campaign Number: 11V-338 but your model year is not part of the recall. If enough people have problems AND report it, then the recall will get modified.