tail light wiring help?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctfjr

Reaction score
I am wiring up a Kissan LED license plate bracket and need some help on the wire colors in the cable going to it. I have 5 wires to connect:

1) ground (pretty confident that one is black)

2) right signal

3) left signal

4) brake

5) running light

I have opened the cable & before I start skinning wires & testing with a meter I would rather find out so I can cleanly use scotch locks and not have to tape them all later. . .

Does anyone have the color breakout (2008)?

TIA!

Don't have a wiring diagram for an '08 but it should be easy to deduce.

-- Black is typically the common return wire for most circuits.

-- The license plate lamp and the running lights are paralleled on the same circuit so they share the same colored wire.

-- Each turn signal circuit has a distinct color, you should be able to trace those easily.

-- Once you know the running light wire color the brake light wire color is all that's left.

On the '07:

** Black = common circuit, referenced to the engine crankcase.

** Blue/Red = running lights

** Yellow/Green = brake lights

** Chocolate = left turn signal

** Dark Green = right turn signal

Don't have a wiring diagram for an '08 but it should be easy to deduce.
-- Black is typically the common return wire for most circuits.

-- The license plate lamp and the running lights are paralleled on the same circuit so they share the same colored wire.

-- Each turn signal circuit has a distinct color, you should be able to trace those easily.

-- Once you know the running light wire color the brake light wire color is all that's left.

On the '07:

** Black = common circuit, referenced to the engine crankcase.

** Blue/Red = running lights

** Yellow/Green = brake lights

** Chocolate = left turn signal

** Dark Green = right turn signal
Thanks constant - I was too impatient to wait for an answer, I stuck a sewing neeedle in each wire & checked them with a voltmeter :)

fwiw on my 08 here is the wiring for the tail assy:

black - ground

green - right signal

Yellow - brake light

brown - left signal

blue - running light (live with ign switch)

Thanks constant - I was too impatient to wait for an answer, I stuck a sewing neeedle in each wire & checked them with a voltmeter :)
I'm getting ready to add the same license plate too. Where are you tapping into the rear "lights"??
I popped off the passenger seat, the cable harness runs on the left side of the little tray. I simply sliced open the plastic harness cover to gain access to the wires - one note the scotch locks make a large bulky tap. If if rains tomorrow I am going to take them out & solder the connections.

Awesome timing, came on here at around 1am looking for that exact info as I am hooking up some hyperlites. Felt like a bomb defuser, shakily holding the yellow and blue wires, sweating, knowing I had a 50 50 chance of screwing up...so I waited, and here you are. Thanks, buy yourself a beer on me! You deserve it.

C