'03 Heat mods by Oldyeller

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldyeller

Reaction score
Yeah! I am new here and came by cause I used the sight to find out more about my '03 before I bought it. So I figured I could add my $0.02 worth as I play around with the GrayCatShaft.

After reading a bunch about the '03-'04 heat issue I concluded it was an air-flow issue. Cutting holes in the front just shoves more air into the heat-sync - causing it to feel hotter. Like blowing on a small fire, it just makes it bigger.

So pushing more air in won't help anything unless you can get more of it out.

I have some ideas of my own but have already started with some suggested mods.

Foam on the inside right fairing panel - The previous already did it but the job was half-#^$$ed. I've added more and when it actually warms up here I will let you know how it works.

The good thing about trying these in the cold is you notice it right away.

I also looked at some lower (chin) fairing mods and did my own version. (see below)

It gave more flow down low. Therefore I noticed warmer feet. This won't be good in higher temps. So I will come up with an air-damn of some kind to force the air down the bottom and not passed my feet.

FJR_chinfairMod.jpg

I will try to add to this thread as I come up with these mods and whether they work or not!!!

I also looked at some lower (chin) fairing mods and did my own version. (see below)It gave more flow down low. Therefore I noticed warmer feet. This won't be good in higher temps. So I will come up with an air-damn of some kind to force the air down the bottom and not passed my feet.

FJR_chinfairMod.jpg

I will try to add to this thread as I come up with these mods and whether they work or not!!!
Nice job..............at least we know the air won't be going to your radiator :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude-

Why would you do anything to your bike that would REDUCE AIRFLOW TO THE RADIATOR??? :blink:

Before you do any more reinventing of the wheel, do yourself a huge favor and keep reading the volumes of information on this forum regarding heat reducing mods on Gen I bikes.

Old Yeller, I have diagnosed your situation and you need to go spend a weekend at the guys house that came up with the bike pictured below.

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

No offence oldyeller, but this subject really has been done to death. The problem is not air flow per say, its getting the hot air that's done it's job cooling the bike away from the rider without the rider feeling it.

The chromeit mods are the ones people seem to like the best, and the one I think is the most "harmful" to the bike. I've added ram scoops to the front of the bike and funneled it under the tank. That just makes more hot air that has to go somewhere like your crotch. People have added wings etc...put extra foil insulation on the bottom of the tank and bottom of the seat. Added washers to the tank to raise it a little.

Bottom line is when the air temp is around 40 or 50 the heat off the motor feels Ohh Soo good and when it's hot out the only time you notice is when you are stuck in traffic.

Super Sport Tuoring does not equal super slow commuting. A hammer is not a screw driver.

These bikes have been around for 8 years. It's a good chance it's been done. you may want to ask before you start cutting holes. Nice job on the holes though.

The chromeit mods are the ones people seem to like the best, and the one I think is the most "harmful" to the bike.
Why do you think it's the most harmful? It simply blocks a small air flow path after the radiator and nobody has complained of any elevated engine temps.

The chromeit mods are the ones people seem to like the best, and the one I think is the most "harmful" to the bike.
Why do you think it's the most harmful? It simply blocks a small air flow path after the radiator and nobody has complained of any elevated engine temps.
Well last week I did the Cromeit fix and it did fix it! Bike still runs at 2 bars at hiway speed. It might run a slight more heat (3 bars) at 35-45 mph in town, stop & go, but it also might be because it not as cool out anymore. It also cools right back down. It was 86 here today and the bike ran great with both bags, trunk, and SO on. No over heating! Much, much cooler left side also! No harm doing it. I believe it's also cutting inner panel down that does the job, not the little air dam.

Just my opinion. I think that anything that's blocking air flow is trapping heat somwhere else. I'm not knocking people for doing it, you can do whatever you want to your bike.

Just my opinion. I think that anything that's blocking air flow is trapping heat somwhere else. I'm not knocking people for doing it, you can do whatever you want to your bike.
When you trim/or remove the inner panel, your allowing cool air to go around the radiator to mix with the hot air exiting the radiator. The little air dam just deflects the hot rad. exhaust air to not go thru the frame and hit directly on the shins is all. Anyway, it works, with no harm to bike!

I gained a lot of comfort on my 03 be removing the underseat tool tray, the black plastic air intake silencer, the little triangular wings to the rear of each side cover, lifted the tank 2mm, covered the under portion of the tank with heat barrier, dremeling the rear fender "steps" down to flush, and dremeling two holes in the very rear, vertical section of the inner rear fender. All to create means for the air to flow under the seat and out through the tail section. I did this before the cromeit mod (at that time we were all experiementing), and saw no need to do that mod. Plus, I don't like that mod as it BLOCKS heat from escaping in the designed space, so it's likely heating up other areas.

I did all of these to allow heat to ESCAPE faster and without forcing it on the riders' legs. Cromeit mod blocks the heat, so it flows elsewhere.

The second skin tank cover also helps to reduce the amount of tank heat felt by the rider. Not to mention a sheep skin seat cover (just a strapped on Alaska leather piece).

It works beautifully. And I've tested it over the course of 4 years.

Oh, and yes...you should have searched more before drilling!!!! Drilling holes in the front plate like that will increase your engine op temps. They direct air upwards into the radiator. That's been proven.

By the way, welcome to the forum and the world of FJR's!

Latest posts