'06 an'07 AEs vs. an '08 AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, thank guys. I have sealed the deal on an '06 AE. The guy is holding it until I get back in town on June 1.
Congats Control 1.

I just got my 2006AE in March and have put near two thousand miles of great fun. I've enjoyed riding my Honda silver wing 600 ABS scooter for the previous couple of years. The FJR is less than a hundred pounds heavier yet it is more difficult to move/push around in the garage. In comparison I would say the silver wing was easy...low center of gravity. I'm sure you will get good at loading the FJR but I would sure want someones help on the the side of the bike until I felt "totally confident" to do it solo. Such a small range before a little lean is... "timber" to much lean. Throttling First gear on the AE ...which will soon bring you miles of smiles :) ...is much different than the cvt throttle roll on. The spring tension of the stock throttle requires more strength yet much less twisting before your off to the races. You may want to try loading it when in 2nd gear which may give you more clutch slippage.

Anyway Congratulation on your new ride double the cc's and double the fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your choice of an AE! Even as a first time bike operator, (well, two days on a Suzuki 250 at my BRC if that counts for something!) shifting on the AE is tits. I did have to watch it and go smooth on the throttle roll-on in 1st since approximating clutch feathering is.....um.....different since all the fine engine RPM control is all in the right wrist after all. She can creep forward glacially with a touch of throttle twist or go like a bat out of hell with slightly more. Add fine rear brake control and 2nd gear creeping and you're golden.

I find up-shifting early can eliminate the "clunk-jerk" of the clutch engagement when road speed and engine speed are mismatched during more leisurely acceleration.

Oh, and don't forget to turn the key to the off position for the YACC to engage the clutch in 1st so she don't roll when parked. Don't ask me how I know that! :blush:

PLease, PLEASE have someone video you motor-walking your FJR up a truck ramp.

It would provide months and months of free laughs to everyone on the forum to watch you running for your life when that mastodon starts going over PONR

Personally, I wouldn't ramp walk something I could just ride-duck walk up if that were an option. I've "caught" my own bike as it leaned on my hip rolling off it's kickstand on a shallow slope when I thought I left it in gear (forget to turn the key off) and it was a handful then.

The risk for letting it get away from you for such a top heavy bike like the feejer would be too high for me.

The AE clutch even with a R2 does not engage smoothly. It is difficult to maneuver the FJR at slow speed maneuvers like loading a truck or in my case a trailer by standing along side it . This is about the only time I wish I had a clutch drive. Practise makes perfect however and the AE is a great option most of the time.

I'm with everyone else. I would much rather be setting on the bike with a wider ramp than to walk beside the bike while throttling it up. It doesn't take much throttle movement to go from smooth, to launch! 2nd gear would be a must for sure! I'm not sure about your ramp situation, but I have loaded bikes on trailers by rolling up to them at about 5mph and just throttle up on them and stop. One of my biggest worries about the AE,,, have you ever seen someone almost drop a bike, and as they are struggling to hold it up, the engine is screaming while they hold onto the clutch? If that ever happens on an AE,,, it will launch itself because you will not hold it back! Either let it drop, or hopefully flip the kill switch before it gets that far.

With all that said,, I hope it loads much easier than we are thinking it will...

Mechanically speaking, are there any good reasons for me to hold out for an '08 AE model over a 2006 or 2007 AE model?

I've pretty well decided on the AE to replace my Burgman 650. In addition to being a pleasure bike, I haul the Burgman on the rear of my work truck (a medium sized Freightliner straight truck) when I travel out of town. The Burgman's CVT allows me to stand next to the bike and let it drive itself up the ramp onto the back of my truck. This feature was the deciding factor when I bought the Suzuki. But now that I've discovered the AE model..... well, it's time for an upgrade!
We all hope we're wrong about this, but....

what everyone's trying to tell you is that takes only a very slight motion to the side for the top-heavy FJR to very rapidly shift its COG and become uncontrollably heavy and fall over; and this effect will be worse if you're not hovering directly over it, which you won't be if you're standing beside it and then somewhat below as it rises up the ramp while you're walking beside it and you then lose leverage. And you REALLY don't want it falling off the ramp from two feet off the ground, and if it falls toward you and you're under it when it falls, you're really going to wish you'd listened to us. The damage will be expensive enough if it falls onto concrete from that height without you cushioning the fall and getting a handlebar through your sternum. (As Howie asked, please do have someone filming.)

Seriously, unless you're monstrously big and strong, this is a stupendously bad idea. Nearly all of us are long-term, experienced riders, and nearly all of us have dropped the FJR--some more than once--while walking it around. I'm just recovering after a year from a torn elbow tendon suffered while saving my 2006AE from a fall with my wife on the back when I pulled out of a driveway and the driveway fell away to my right just slightly--just an inch or so--more than I expected and my foot had to go just an inch or so farther then I expected and so the bike leaned just a bit farther to the right then I was prepared for and I came within an RCH of losing the whole shebang. I strained so hard to keep it up that I tore a tendon in my right elbow.

As someone else has said, the bike becomes very heavy very fast, so I'm not even sure that having a helper is a good answer because that will disguise the effect when you try this by yourself. (Which we all know you're going to do.)

At the very least, get a second ramp positioned so you can walk up alongside the bike when you try this so you can maintain your leverage over it from the side. Oh, and when you try this by yourself (which we all know you're going to do), on my 06, sometimes the auto-clutch doesn't disengage when you expect it to, particularly when it's cold, so be sure you're positioned where you can get at the brake lever.

Even if it all goes well everytime but once--we're all subject to momentary distractions, and that once is all it will take for this to turn into a very unpleasant and expensive memory. There's just very little forgiveness: A little off-balance becomes a lot off-balance with surprising speed.

Remember to have your cell phone with you and positioned where you can get at it easily, so you can call for help when you're stuck under the bike.

:)