06 FJR LD Test Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cnqwst

Reaction score
FJR Pilots,

Rode with Roadstargallery (Roadstar riders) to Eureka Springs AR. 1st day's ride out at 4:00AM to Lubbock Tx, (The FJR lighting is excellent) where I met up with up with couple of buddies & continued on to DeSoto Tx (Suburb of Dallas Tx). Really heavy rains through Weatherford TX. Bike never missed a beat. The FJR's performance made the Freeway weaving a piece of cake.

2nd Day's ride (picked up 3 more bikes ) and headed to Poteau OK, via Paris Tx, picked up another rider in Paris. Again with real heavy rains thru the twisties. Logging trucks coming around the corners at high rate of speed. Automatic motion (lay down on tank, to avoid wind blast), Note to self, Need taller windshield. The Calsci +3 shield looks like the pick.

Day 3 rode from Poteau OK, to Eureka Springs via the Pig trail (AR23). 9000+ altitude in places of the Talimena trail, Wild Bill's Highway pegs worked great, to give an alternate foot placement. I have to admit, that my right hand was really tired, the throttle is really stiff. (The grip puppies helped, no cramping) I would put the Vistacruise on in the straights, which were rare, & shake my hand out. Probably need to raise the tank & remove the middle spring.

Day 4 & 5 rode around ES with 74 bikes (mostly roadstars) from all over the US & Canada. Saw 1 FJR on the whole trip. Stopped him in traffic in the shopping district, he is a member here, Bete. He had the Skyway Sliders, & a low tankbag,mapholder. We talked about the bikes for a short time, how I was uncomfortable with my seat, but he liked his. Nice meeting you Brice.

Day 6 rode home, 744 miles thru light rain via Arkansas & Oklahoma, Blistering heat & High Winds in Texas & 100+ degree temps in New Mexico. The Magellan GPS 700 mounted on the left handlebar worked excellent routing me down roads I'd never seen before. Learned that if I raise the shield all the way up, my helmet get pushed towards the windshield, too low & the opposite. About 1 inch down from top & I'm in the zone. The Hoon hardware XM-roady2 worked great.

My lower back is really sore from the forward riding position, looks like I'll have to give Doug Hines a call about his risers, & Tobin O'connor at Tobin seats a call about redoing my seat.

As far as road hazards, a deer in Arkansas had just been hit during the night and was laying in the middle of the road. Squirrels & possum in Oklahoma, Armadillo & Turkey & 1 snake in Texas. 1 owl in NM. The bike averaged 44.8 mpg according to the display.

ride safe

bob

Glad you had a good trip Bob, Nice to meet you. Arkansas is a lot of fun on the FJR. bete.

Day 3 rode from Poteau OK, to Eureka Springs via the Pig trail (AR23). 9000+ altitude in places of the Talimena trail,
bob

You might want to get that Magellan checked out if it was giving you a 9000' elevation reading. There is nothing on the Talimena Drive over about 2300'. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Adios....

Woody

+1 on getting the Magellan checked out as the highest mountain in Arkansas is right at 8700 feet and there is no road over it.

Sounds like a good trip though and any road west and north of Little Rock is going to be good.

+1 on getting the Magellan checked out as the highest mountain in Arkansas is right at 8700 feet and there is no road over it.
Sounds like a good trip though and any road west and north of Little Rock is going to be good.
That height sounded way off to me, so I checked. The highest point in Arkansas is Mt Magazine @ 2753 ft. That Magellan is WAY off, but then it isn't intended for an aircraft and altitude error won't cause you to have a bad day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 3 rode from Poteau OK, to Eureka Springs via the Pig trail (AR23). 9000+ altitude in places of the Talimena trail,

bob

You might want to get that Magellan checked out if it was giving you a 9000' elevation reading. There is nothing on the Talimena Drive over about 2300'. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Adios....

Woody
Woody,

Thanks for catching the error in the Quachita Mountains elevation. Actually my Magellan 700 does not even have an elevation as one of the statistics. I was going by what one of the other riders in our group who was using a Garmin, I don't know the model. I'll double check my stats before posting the next time.

Sorry about the bad info.

Thanks again,

bob