'06 FJR or K12GT?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjr

Reaction score
This is a topic of discussion over on a BMW site. Thought I"d put the same up here. This is my post from the other site BTW.

"Easy decision. FJR.

Why? I had an '04 GT. ECU recall and fuel leak.

'05 FJR had and has no problems.

BMW didn't get the K12 GT right after multiple years of production so I don't imagine the 06 will be problem free. So for a problem free '06 I would look to the FJR."

Last edited by a moderator:
All we know right now is that the new GT will be about $6K more expensive, make slightly more peak power (but less torque), and have one big differentiating feature: the Hossack front end. Until we get some comparison tests, it's all speculation. My guess is that the GT will be the better bike overall, but you'd have to be pretty price insensitive to think it's worth $6K more.

I do agree with you about the reliability factor. While BMW reliability isn't as bad as many think, it's doubtful that this bike with match the FJR, especially since the FJR is a more mature platform, and will be getting only minor tweaks in 2006, wheeras the GT will be a whole new model.

- Mark

I agree with Mark. $6,000 makes it an easy decision for me. And truthfully, the difference will probably be more than that - real world. I have a 06 ordered for $11,500. I'm guessing that discounts on the BMW will be very little.

This is a topic of discussion over on a BMW site.
The main topics of discussion on the BMW website are ANYONE KNOW HOW DO YOU FIX MY BIKE'S PROBLEMS.....or DO YOU KNOW ANYBODY WHO KNOWS HOW TO WORK ON A BMW IN MY AREA, AS THE CLOSEST BMW DEALER IS A 100 MILES AWAY......

Great subjects for conversation,,,,,,,

I'm guessing that discounts on the BMW will be very little.
There was a time when I was taking a hard look at BMW. One impression that I came away with from the dealers, was that dealing on price was not in their vocabulary.

I saw one of these at the Detroit show and lemme tell ya, it was FUGLY and big and heavy. :dribble:

If I won one...

...I'd sell it and buy another FJR!

Pappy

I agree with Mark. $6,000 makes it an easy decision for me. And truthfully, the difference will probably be more than that - real world. I have a 06 ordered for $11,500. I'm guessing that discounts on the BMW will be very little.
$6k diffrence?

When the K12S first came a certain delaer thru the keys at me and insisted I test rode it. When I asked for a price in June it was $21k and change OTD. Bags and centerstand included.

Today I picked up my invoice for the FJR I ordered in early November and it'll be $12,860 OTD.

$6k difference? On a brand new K12GT? Right!

Was in the Ft. Myers BMW Motorad yesterday and enjoyed being there.

I am trying to understand if they are trying to sell bikes or just be known as an expensive poser or something of the like. Darn near everything on the floor was 21,000.00 and the only way to get below 15,000.00 was to buy a dirt bike but even they were HIGH.

If you're in business to make money, Why not make a product and price it competatively enough to get some flo traffic/buyers. That James Bond crap only plays so long and eventually it gets back to economics 101: How Much It Costs?

$500.00 Touring Jacket

$300.00 Touring Pants

Get outta here!

So, $500 for a quality jacket that happens to have a BMW label is crazy, and an Aerostich Darien jacket half this forums swears by is ok at the same $500?

Just wondering... :)

I agree with Mark.  $6,000 makes it an easy decision for me.  And truthfully, the difference will probably be more than that - real world.  I have a 06 ordered for $11,500.  I'm guessing that discounts on the BMW will be very little.
$6k diffrence?

When the K12S first came a certain delaer thru the keys at me and insisted I test rode it. When I asked for a price in June it was $21k and change OTD. Bags and centerstand included.

Today I picked up my invoice for the FJR I ordered in early November and it'll be $12,860 OTD.

I can get a discount on a "S" right now. There is a dealer in Houston who is giving up their BMW franchise and has a couple of S's in stock he will discount. BTW, he is also a Yamaha dealer, and only offered me a $300 discount on a FJR - AND he adds $175 back in for freight and set-up.

If you ride long distance think real hard about finding a Beemer dealer as compaired to finding not only a Yamaha dealer but also all the other Japanese dealers that can work on a bike from Japan. BMW=Big Money Wasted? :lol:

I agree with Mark.  $6,000 makes it an easy decision for me.  And truthfully, the difference will probably be more than that - real world.  I have a 06 ordered for $11,500.  I'm guessing that discounts on the BMW will be very little.
$6k diffrence?

I can get a discount on a "S" right now. There is a dealer in Houston who is giving up their BMW franchise and has a couple of S's in stock he will discount. BTW, he is also a Yamaha dealer, and only offered me a $300 discount on a FJR - AND he adds $175 back in for freight and set-up.
Correction. $12,360! I don't know what I was thinking ! Including taxes and paperwork! No freigth or set up! What's the discount on the K12S? Just curious...

Last edited by a moderator:
$6k diffrence?

Correction. $12,360! I don't know what I was thinking ! Including taxes and paperwork! No freigth or set up! What's the discount on the K12S? Just curious...
We haven't really discussed it enough to know what he might do, but without even negotiating he told me he could knock $1,000 of sticker.

We haven't really discussed it enough to know what he might do, but without even negotiating he told me he could knock $1,000 of sticker.
A $1,000 off of MSRP for last years model,,,WHAT A DEAL!

Let me throw this up for grabs my friend......Just who is gonna service your BMW? Your Yamaha dealer won't, as he won't have the parts, nor will give a damn....let alone have anyone trained to work on it (probably never had anyone BMW certified in the first place)...........I've seen post after post in the BMW chat rooms from BMW owners who are venting frustration as their hometown dealer closing shop or, like yours, just dropping BMW. Now they're faced with having to ride a 100 miles away for service........that is if they're lucky and the bike can make it that far.

BWAAAAAWAWWAAAAAAAA!

And a $1,000 off of MSRP for last years model.....

BWWHAAAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAHAHAHHAA

$6k diffrence?

Comparably equipped, $6K will be about the MSRP difference.

Real-world, there may be a short period when the GT gets full price and the FJR gets discounted, but it will probably be short-lived.

And all this talk about BMWs not being discounted is bunk - the last BMW I bought was nearly $2K off and had a $750 Edelweiss incentive on top of that. 2005 Boxer Cup Replicas with $14,700 MSRP's are selling right now for under $12K. And BMW has routinely runs 0.9% financing deals, often with the first five payments paid. Sure, when some bikes come out, they get full list, just like the newest R1 or the new R6. But in time, they all get discounted whether they say Yamaha or BMW on the tank.

So after the hoopla dies down, yes, I think $6K will be about the average difference in price paid for a GT vs. a FJR.

- Mark

I'll continue to examine BMW's closely. I like some of their engineering & styling. They gained my respect back in the airhead days. But they need a new track record of reliability before I'll pay their premium again.

They are discounted (got a couple thousand off my R1200C) but not so much in the first year of a new hot-model release. You could have gotten a steal on a last-generation K1200RS after we all heard a new model was coming.

To my way of thinking the FJR tick, our only reliability knock, is a non-issue because of Yamaha's handling of known instances.

Like Pappy, I saw it at the Detroit auto show. I haven't liked the pics I've seen - too slab-sided, and real life it was the same. But what really turned me off was sitting on it - it was shite!!! The riding position was odd. I was really surprised because I really liked the previous K1200GT riding position - the best I've ever experienced, confirmed with a good ride on one. But the new one doesn't compare with the old one, nor, of course, with my FJR.

Like Pappy, I saw it at the Detroit auto show. I haven't liked the pics I've seen - too slab-sided, and real life it was the same. But what really turned me off was sitting on it - it was shite!!! The riding position was odd. I was really surprised because I really liked the previous K1200GT riding position - the best I've ever experienced, confirmed with a good ride on one. But the new one doesn't compare with the old one, nor, of course, with my FJR.
You're complaining about styling and seating position - both completely individual and subjective.

We need to wait until a road test to know how the bikes compare.

- Mark