'06 "Quick Fasteners"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6mmbr

Reaction score
I don't know if these are on the earlier models, but these "quick fasteners" can be a pain to remove. I went to remove panels A,B,C, and D, so I could scout out the the time to install a headlight modulator, but spent too much time trying to get out a couple of these doodads.

Yes the principle seems simple (and I had been able to get one out so I know how it is supposed to work - push out the center tab from behind then pry it out from the hole) but that is a lot easier said than done. I spent an hour on the one for panel A! Getting your finger up behind a panel to push out the center tab is not too easy either, then when you get a finger tip on it, its too tight and my fingertip becomes too painful to push it out.

Then they break one of the tabs so its loose when it goes back in.

So I put everything back together and will work on it again another day. I will need to contact Yammi to buy some of these, anticipating breaking some more with the next go around.

Anybody have any recommendations or "better way" to deal with these.

Also, if anybody can direct me to a link or previous thread about installing an 'HM" on the fjr that would be great. Also a link about removing the fairings - not included in the owners manual.

PS: I am amazed at how nimble this FJR - I just feel glued to the road.

thanks

you push the center pin in and you can get it out, once its out push the pin so it stcks out. To re install. the pin should be sticking out, fully seat the fastener and the pin should go back in easy.

Don't know about the 06 but the panel fasteners on the previous models are well described here.

They are a snap to remove when you know how they work and nearly impossible when you don't! :eek:

Come on, this has to be a joke, right??? :eh:

The fasteners with the little circle in the middle... the center gets pushed in, then you pull the whole fastener out of the fairing. To reattach, once the fastener is free, push the center portion back through the outer ring so that the cylindrical center is now sticking out above the base... push the entire fastener into the fairing hole so that the base is flush with the surface, then push in the center, and it's locked! Don't tell me you tried to push the center out from the inside....

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on, this has to be a joke, right??? :eh:
The fasteners with the little circle in the middle... the center gets pushed in, then you pull the whole fastener out of the fairing. To reattach, once the fastener is free, push the center portion back through the outer ring so that the cylindrical center is now sticking out above the base... push the entire fastener into the fairing whole so that the base is flush with the surface, then push in the center, and it's locked! Don't tell me you tried to push the center out from the inside....
Hey its allways simple when you know it! :D

Sometimes you look at something thats obvious to some and the answer just dosen't "click".

I've seen others have the same problem.