'06 wheel weights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan23

Reaction score
My '06's wheels have a ridge down the center and the wheel weights are attached. Is that new? Are these wheel weights a dealer-only item or are they available elsewhere?

Thanks.

This is the way Yamaha has done this for years. My '98 R1 is that way too. It is next to impossible to find these locally so I ordered an assortment of them years ago and keep them in a container in my garage. No problem on shelf life. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I do a lot of tire changing for myself and others. These kind of weights play hell with your wheels. Besides scratching your wheel every place there put on, I have seen corrosion under them. I only use the stick on type, and there available in color. What is nice is that you can cut a little off and get you wheels spot-on. The clip on weights come in 5 gram increments so you can be a little off.

With the stick on weights you can trim a little off as needed. I will static balance a tire and use masking tape to keep it on the wheel till it is in balance. I will mark the location for the weight on the wheel, then remove the weight and spray paint it to match the wheel. I do this on mostly black wheels. On silver wheels, the weight is left lead color. I know a dealer won't take the time to do this, thats why I bought a tire changer and Marc Parnes static balancer. I have never had a stick on weight come off. And when it is time to remove them you just use a screw driver and something to protect your wheel an pop them off. Call me crazy, but nuttin like doing the job your self.. Just my $.02. Smitty

I do a lot of tire changing for myself and others. These kind of weights play hell with your wheels. Besides scratching your wheel every place there put on, I have seen corrosion under them. I only use the stick on type, and there available in color. What is nice is that you can cut a little off and get you wheels spot-on. The clip on weights come in 5 gram increments so you can be a little off.
With the stick on weights you can trim a little off as needed. I will static balance a tire and use masking tape to keep it on the wheel till it is in balance. I will mark the location for the weight on the wheel, then remove the weight and spray paint it to match the wheel. I do this on mostly black wheels. On silver wheels, the weight is left lead color. I know a dealer won't take the time to do this, thats why I bought a tire changer and Marc Parnes static balancer. I have never had a stick on weight come off. And when it is time to remove them you just use a screw driver and something to protect your wheel an pop them off. Call me crazy, but nuttin like doing the job your self.. Just my $.02. Smitty
I've had stick on weights come off. I use them, but I make sure I put a piece of duct tape over the weights after I stick them on to make sure they don't get water on them, and they stay in place.

Tom

Thanks for the replies... I have stick on weights and basially do what Smitty does, except I could care less if they match the wheel or not. ;-)

So far, only Bike Effects reports using the Yamaha weights....

Latest posts