190/55?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BanjoBoy

Reaction score
Has anybody run these? Michelin PRII 190/55-17s or any 190/55 rears?

Since my pegs are always srape'in, I'm think'in if I can run a larger diameter wheel/tire configuration, I'll get some ground clearance. But looking at the brake stay arm there might be a little grind'in in order?

Thanks,

Has anybody run these? Michelin PRII 190/55-17s or any 190/55 rears?Since my pegs are always srape'in, I'm think'in if I can run a larger diameter wheel/tire configuration, I'll get some ground clearance. But looking at the brake stay arm there might be a little grind'in in order?

Thanks,

The 190 is wider but there won't be much is any change in diameter. This has been talked about many times here. shift more weight on the bike to control lean angle so as not to grind the pegs .

Has anybody run these? Michelin PRII 190/55-17s or any 190/55 rears?Since my pegs are always srape'in, I'm think'in if I can run a larger diameter wheel/tire configuration, I'll get some ground clearance. But looking at the brake stay arm there might be a little grind'in in order?

Thanks,

The 190 is wider but there won't be much is any change in diameter. This has been talked about many times here. shift more weight on the bike to control lean angle so as not to grind the pegs .
I'm hope'in that the 190 will get "pinched" a little, and should have a larger rolling diameter? I can shift my weight and hang off, but then I look racy to the cops, and that's an undesirable thing. The FJR is the lowest, easiest bike to drag pegs I've ever owned.

Get an aftermarket shock. If it's set up correctly, you'll rarely scrape pegs.
This is definitely in the future, but I'm a dirt poor loser who can't afford one right now.

Thanks,

Thanks,

My dad had the same tire on his FJR. The 190 will make the bike not handle as it should be. it handle fine but not as with an 180.

I'd say stick to the 180. Japan Engeneers are no fools mate! everything in life is there for an reason. so keep with the 180.

Cheers

All the best

Go the other way if you want the bike to turn. Try a 170X60 and the speedo won't change noticably, but the bike'll turn better.

Thanks,

I'm hope'in that the 190 will get "pinched" a little, and should have a larger rolling diameter? I can shift my weight and hang off, but then I look racy to the cops, and that's an undesirable thing. The FJR is the lowest, easiest bike to drag pegs I've ever owned.

Get an aftermarket shock. If it's set up correctly, you'll rarely scrape pegs.
This is definitely in the future, but I'm a dirt poor loser who can't afford one right now.

Thanks,
I have a set of dog bone that will raise the rear of your bike 1-1/4" you can have them for $25.00 shipped. PM me if intrested

Last edited by a moderator:
I run a 190 all the time [looks better at 10 mm fatter]. The mounted 190 is @ 1 inch less in circumference than a 180, so it is @ .31415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209749445923078164062862089986280348

253421170679 inch shorter. Biaggi could probably tell the diff. in handling. But not in gas mileage, engine rpm, speedo error or quicker 1/4 mile times .

Thanks,
I just put a 190 Roadsmart on mine basically because i needed tires and that was the best they had available. I really can't feel much difference in handling and i tested it on the roads from The Dalles, OR. to Seattle via RT25 and Windy Ridge just to see. Works fine. Doesn't feel like it's a bigger tire and doesn't seem to make the bike significantly harder to turn to me.

I have a set of dog bone that will raise the rear of your bike 1-1/4" you can have them for $25.00 shipped. PM me if intrested
Shorter dogbones (to raise the rear) kept my pegs attached to the bike until I could afford proper suspension, so if it were me, I'd be all over achiu's offer (My Gen I dogbones were $100 retail - and are now sitting in a coffee can in the garage). I also shoved the forks down until they were flush with the triple tree to keep things somewhat even. It's not a 'proper' fix, but it works.

Look, I can't speak to the experience of the other 190 users and I'm not suggesting that I'm

the next Max Biaggi, but I put about 8K miles on one and could definately feel a difference in handling.

The combination of smaller diameter and wider profile made turn-in noticeably heavier.

Raising the forks about 1/4" did a lot to restore the neutral handing I was accustomed to

but the forks/tire combo did nothing to help with ground clearance.

Like someone else suggested, a 170-60 might be a good alternative but I don't recall

mention of anyone ever trying one.

Thanks,
BanjoBoy

If ground clearance is what you are after, try a 205/50 R17 M+S.

The extra cross section added to the squarish profile will leverage the bike up a little as you lean around the corners. :yahoo:

Get a Michelin Pilot Exalto, Those don't slip at all, just ask my buddy Brian - FJRONAMISSION.

2ezpb8i.jpg

The only problem is the requirement that you have to have cookies with you at all times.

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator: