2 pin SAE power cord for iPod?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmjf86

Reaction score
I'm looking for something that might allow me to power my iPod from the 2-pin SAE already at the front of my bike for connecting a battery charger/maintainer. I found this one - https://www.selectsolar.co.uk/prod/315/2pin-sae-ipod-cable - but it is very short and I wish to keep my iPod in an inside pocket of my jacket. Is anyone aware of something similar with a longer cord? I have found a 36" coiled cable with iPod connector for a powerlet plug and that will likely be my plan B if/when I install a powerlet plug. Thanks, Mike

I'm looking for something that might allow me to power my iPod from the 2-pin SAE already at the front of my bike for connecting a battery charger/maintainer. I found this one - https://www.selectsolar.co.uk/prod/315/2pin-sae-ipod-cable - but it is very short and I wish to keep my iPod in an inside pocket of my jacket. Is anyone aware of something similar with a longer cord? I have found a 36" coiled cable with iPod connector for a powerlet plug and that will likely be my plan B if/when I install a powerlet plug. Thanks, Mike

It is just two basic wires. You can lengthen it as long as you want. Just make sure you get the polarities right.

Seeing someone else's post just prior to mine gave me a better idea - a 2 pin SAE to USB adapter into which I can plug the longer charging/power cable which I already have for my iPod. That cord is much thinner than the SAE cord and certainly less bulky than the coiled powerlet cord. I had thought about the car charger/SAE to cigarette plug but then I'd have to secure the cigarette plug or have it flopping in the breeze and possible scratching my tank.

Also, by using the USB adapter, you are getting the proper voltages to charge and power your device. From what I can tell of the link you posted, that's going to provide 12V instead of the proper 5V to your device. Many devices will still function fine, but for some sensitive electronics and/or batteries, it will shorten their life. Best to go with a proper solution.

I have a USB socket in my power receptacle inside my glove box. A standard USB to iPod cord will work just fine. I typically plug my iPod touch in and stuff it in the glove box. It's Bluetooth hooks up to my Sena unit on my helmet - no wires.

If your USB to iPod cord is long enough you can put your iPod in your jacket and charge it from your glove box.

These USB sockets are getting pretty cheap at the electronics store. Some even have 2 USB ports.

Brodie

smile.png