2005 starting issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mole_

Reaction score
this has been going on for a week or so now.. Sometime my bike does not want to start up.. when in neutral or in gear with the clutch in and the kick stand up.. then a few minutes later it will start.. it never has died after started tho.. Side stand switch? or what should I check?

Can you clarify your conditions; do you mean does not start or does not crank. If it does not crank then perhaps one of your safety switches is sticking and it eventually frees itself and then allows for cranking and starting.

Can you clarify your conditions; do you mean does not start or does not crank. If it does not crank then perhaps one of your safety switches is sticking and it eventually frees itself and then allows for cranking and starting.

Opps sry.. It does nothing, like a dead battery.. no cranking or turning over.. then a minute later it starts up fine. I put in a new battery about 3 months ago..

Last edited by a moderator:
Does turning the key on sweep the gauges, light the running lights, and run the fuel pump? Do the gauges die when you hit the starter, or nothing at all? Does the engine light illuminate when you hit the starter? Does the clock reset when it fails to start?

If the gauges sweep and lights (except headlights) come on at key-on, and stay on when trying to start, then it's probably a switch or the start cutoff relay rather than the battery.

Does turning the key on sweep the gauges, light the running lights, and run the fuel pump?
yes

Do the gauges die when you hit the starter? Does the engine light illuminate when you hit the starter? Does the clock reset when it fails to start?
nope

If the gauges sweep and lights (except headlights) come on at key-on, and stay on when trying to start, then it's probably a switch or the start cutoff relay rather than the battery.
do we have a How To clean/install the kick stand kill switch instruction page up yet? lol Thanks for all the help guys :)

Last edited by a moderator: