Bike Wont Start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello just an update...spoke with yamaha and they are going with what the dealer says,it being a gas issue...they told me I can go for a 2nd opinion if i like which is more or less after the fact since bike is being fixed on my dime...asked to speak with a supervisor and now just waiting to hear back from them...Im trying to be positive but things dont look good
When you speak with the supervisor, ask him if the gas was tested and if so what was chemically bad, and if the testing was performed by an independent lab. If the gas wasn’t tested, ask him how they can determine it was bad.

Imho, the chances of Yamaha fixing this on their dime under warranty is slim to none. There is no way this should happen to a 1.5 year old bike with 27k miles. You would have to show, and prove to Yamaha that it was a defect in their manufacturing, parts, or materials. The dealer is your advocate in this regard and has to show the Yamaha warranty department that proof. I don't see any proof that their was a defect in manufacturing, parts, or materials though I am no expert. It sounds like your dealer is not advocating on your behalf either? If not, you're screwed.

Something happened. What, is debatable. I still fully believe your dealership lacks competency. It probably never needed to be taken apart. Everyone around here would surely like to know the root cause of why this happened.

No doubt, this whole situation is extremely unfortunate for you.

Why didn't you find a replacement engine? That should have saved you quite a bit of money. And I sure as hell wouldn't trust your dealership to competently rebuild this engine.

This not starting thing is a real head scratcher for me as well, my 03 has done the same thing. rode home from a club breakfast and after doing some connection cleaning for a head light issue, the bike want start. I got the same advice from Mr. Ross but nothing works. I will say it tries to fire off once but each time I try to start it but wont do more than that. It can't be anything major, and that low compression thing is BS. Mine has 160K on it and runs like a top and has had a complete tune up and checking out with good compression.

This not starting thing is a real head scratcher for me as well, my 03 has done the same thing. rode home from a club breakfast and after doing some connection cleaning for a head light issue, the bike want start. I got the same advice from Mr. Ross but nothing works. I will say it tries to fire off once but each time I try to start it but wont do more than that. It can't be anything major, and that low compression thing is BS. Mine has 160K on it and runs like a top and has had a complete tune up and checking out with good compression.

It is an odd phenomenom. I had an '04 that did it once. The next day? Started up right away. How about you? Does the problem persist after a long (day or more) break from starting attempts?

If you're still talking, I assume someone is still listening. I assume they didn't find any mechanical issues during their "repair".

Good luck.
It's damn fast service to have that motor torn down, diagnosed and fixed in such short time. I'm with you, ask what they did to fix it. And if they drained the "bad gas", since that was the cause. For added measure I'd put a borescope down those plug holes as soon as I got it home.

More evidence that these "bulletproof" bikes are garbage.i have an 05 with 30 thousand miles and sounds like chitty chitty bang bang for sale.
Forgive me for adding fuel to the fire.

Okay so hang on. What for slow Pappimus Maximus leather daddy bike is "bulletproof" to you?

Seriously though, we have bikes here with 500k miles. Was yours just not taken care of? I'm sure it'd sound like a chitty chitty bang bang in the "free" box at a yard sale if its still on the first service oil change.