2006 FJR Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmalott

Reaction score
Hello, and please forgive me if I've posted this question in the wrong section. I'm new here.

I live in San Diego, California, and would like to buy a new FJR1300. A "discount" dealer in Los Angeles quoted me a price of $14, 999, out the door (OTD). This is lower than anyone in my area seems to want to sell them for, but maybe still a bit high. What do you think?

Today I was looking through the Cycle Trader on-line and saw a new, 2006, FJR listed at $12, 299. see https://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/2/2/82032722.htm

Abernathy's Motorcycle Sales

1704 W. Main Street

Union City, TN 38261

(866) 542-8058

I called them on the phone and was told that it was an OTD price. They also said that sometimes Californians buy bikes, such as Gold Wings, from them.

I'm not exactly clear on the California DMV requirements. Can I buy a bike from an out of state dealer and register it in California? I'd heard some talk about no being able to do this. Something was said about only used vehicles with more than 7500 miles are allowed to be brought into California and registered.

Also, does anyone have a rough idea of the dealer cost for this bike? In you opinios, what is my best option for saving money on a new FJR 1300.

Thank you, Kevin.

Well Kevin, I am paying $11,499 out-the-door for my new 06 A model, but I don't have to pay sales tax. :D :D :D :D

Well Kevin, I am paying $11,499 out-the-door for my new 06 A model, but I don't have to pay sales tax. :D :D :D :D
You will have to pay sales tax when you register your new bike in your home state :bleh: :clap: :clap: !

Best Regards,

Shane

Hello, and please forgive me if I've posted this question in the wrong section.  I'm new here.
I live in  San Diego, California, and would like to buy a new FJR1300. A "discount" dealer in Los Angeles quoted me a price of $14, 999, out the door (OTD).  This is lower than anyone in my area seems to want to sell them for, but maybe still a bit high.  What do you think?

Today I was looking through the Cycle Trader on-line and saw a new, 2006, FJR listed at $12, 299.  see https://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/2/2/82032722.htm

Abernathy's Motorcycle Sales

1704 W. Main Street

Union City, TN  38261

(866) 542-8058

I called them  on the phone and was told that it was an OTD price.  They also said that sometimes Californians buy bikes, such as Gold Wings, from them. 

I'm not exactly clear on the California DMV requirements.  Can I buy a bike from an out of state  dealer and register it in California?  I'd heard some talk about no being able to do this.  Something  was said about only used vehicles with more than 7500 miles are allowed to be brought into California and registered. 

Also, does anyone have a rough idea of the dealer cost for this bike?  In you opinios, what is my best option for saving money on a new FJR 1300.

Thank you, Kevin.
[SIZE=14pt]STOP!!!!!![/SIZE]

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT BUY A NEW BIKE OUTTA STATE if you live in California!

Reference the DMV website for details, but the bike must have 7,500 miles on it before you can bring it in.

I would suggest that you call CalCoast Motorsports in Ventura first thing in the AM as they have a new '05 ABS on the floor that you can prolly deal on as the '06's are rumored to be close for shippment.

I sure wish when people say "out the door" they would completely break it down. This term usually means tax, title, license - everything. But if you are buying it out of state, it CANNOT include tax. It's a term that means nothing on a forum that covers the whole US. Even if it includes tax, the tax is different in every state, so we still don't know what the price of the motorcycle is.

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Kevin, I am paying $11,499 out-the-door for my new 06 A model, but I don't have to pay sales tax.
From the price you threw out there, one of the area dealers here in SW Pennsylvania must have had a target on my back when he quoted $13,499 for a 2006 'A' model.......seems he quoted $15,300 for the 'AE.' This seemed like a big increase, since previous years I recall the Yamaha MSRP was $11,500 for non-ABS and $12,500 with ABS.

Fortunately I found a low-mileage 05 and saved some $$$.

You will have to pay sales tax when you register your new bike in your home state
Shane makes a good point.

kmalott,

Interesting handle. Are you one of those guys who sends out all that spam mail about "performance enhancement"? ;)

So, are you looking for an AE or the clutch model? If the latter, an '05 would be a great alternative. Not sure how many '06's are going to be available on the open market.

Well Kevin, I am paying $11,499 out-the-door for my new 06 A model, but I don't have to pay sales tax.  :D   :D   :D   :D
That sounds like you got quite a deal. Are you good friends with the dealer, or just a good bargainer? Do you have any idea what the dealer cost is on that bike? Which state are you in? Thanks for the info and take care.

Looks like memory served me right.

Here are the prices right off Yamaha's website:

MSRP* 2006 FJR1300A $13,499 (Cobalt Blue) Available from March 2006; CA model available May 2006

MSRP* 2006 FJR1300AE $15,299 (Cerulean Silver) Available from May 2006

*Price and specifications subject to change without notice.

Good deals weren't hard to find - on Sept 28 I called my local dealer BEFORE D&H made their prices publc and I told them I would pay $13,200 for a 2006 FJR1300AE + TTL.

They agreed, I put down $500, and I got a contract for $13,200 + TTL (~$14100!

Best Regards,

Shane

kmalott,

South Bay Motorsports in National City -

2006 A

mrsp 13,499

OTD price - 13,420

12,290 fjr

955 tax

45 doc fee

130 lic.

Speak with Ted - 619 420 2300.

I've been treated very professionally by these folks. I can't speak as to how their service dept is - but I would hope that it's the same.

You might have a problem as the pdp is long over - but you could get on a list should someone back out of their deal - FWIW.

Good Luck !!

I bought my '05 from Fun Bike Center in Kearny Mesa back in July and they were the only ones that could find and get me a ABS model. I got a good price but that was after I told them I wasn't paying any setup fee and haggled some. But they did get me a ABS in about 5 days and that was pretty amazing at the time.

But I got to say that South Bay Motorsports would have been my first choice. I grew up in Chula Vista and they've been there forever. My family has purchased a number of street bikes and dirt bikes from them over the last 35 years and their service department is great.

Bottom line is don't pay any kind of setup fee, and try to get the MSRP as the OTD price and you should be getting a ok deal.

Well Kevin, I am paying $11,499 out-the-door for my new 06 A model, but I don't have to pay sales tax.   :D   :D   :D   :D
That sounds like you got quite a deal. Are you good friends with the dealer, or just a good bargainer? Do you have any idea what the dealer cost is on that bike? Which state are you in? Thanks for the info and take care.
He's in Oregon, one of those no sales tax states...

Dude, heed my advice, go to the DMV website and stop looking outta state. You'll put yourself in a world of shit... ;)

Well Kevin, I am paying $11,499 out-the-door for my new 06 A model, but I don't have to pay sales tax.  :D   :D   :D   :D
You will have to pay sales tax when you register your new bike in your home state :bleh: :clap: :clap: !

Best Regards,

Shane
Yep, I'm getting mine thru Sunnyside, but I'm an Oregon resident. No sales tax here... :nono:

Dude, heed my advice, go to the DMV website and stop looking outta state. You'll put yourself in a world of shit... ;)
You're right. That's good advice, I was just hoping that there were deals like his here in CA. Thanks.

I got my '06A for $1,000 under list delivered to my door (well not quite yet anyway) sans sales tax.

kmalott

[SIZE=14pt]DO NOT BUY A NON-CALIFORNIA FJR[/SIZE]

FJRski is in PA, others offer prices available in the other 47 contiguous states where the price structure is different. Read the above posts for details but, trust me on this, you do not want to be run through the CA DMV wringer and then be told you cannot register a non-compliant bike in California, ever. They will flag the VIN and that bike must be sold out-of-state (Probably at a loss to you!) and can never be brought back into CA.

This scene has been played before, you do not want to be in the sequel! Trust the California owners on this matter, we've heard the stories and seen the tears.

Last edited by a moderator:
kmalott[SIZE=14pt]DO NOT BUY A NON-CALIFORNIA FJR[/SIZE]
That is, unless it has at least 7500 miles on it, like I did. Then, no worries and I saved a bit on the purchase.