2006 vs 2008 FJR1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd skip trying to sell the Tenere and trade for the 08 if you can get close.

I have both and regardless of what the market values are, I'd consider them even.

The dealer will want to make money on the trade, but keep it reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you get the '06, ride it a bit before you start throwing Power Commanders and the like at it. I put nearly 90k on both my '06s and didn't do anything to the engine or handlebars (other than maintain it). The bike works pretty darn well as is. Run it a couple of months to get to know it first - put your money in the gas tank. The same holds true for the '08.

Brodie
Agreed. I bought my 06 new and rode it stock for a good 6 or 7 years. It was always fine on the highway, but around town it had the lean surge. So I finally splurged on the surge and like it better now. YMMV.

I've got both a 2006 and a 2014, they're different bikes but both are phan-frickin-tastic! The 06 doesn't surge or run lean off throttle and has neither a power commander nor a revised throttle tube.

The one change I will make (since I've only had it a couple months) is to loosen the throttle return spring. That sucker is tough to take after a couple of hours riding.

I don't remember if you mentioned year or mileage on the tenere, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a lightly used 2013 that was close in value (didn't the super tenere and FJR have similar MSRP's)?

It's the beginning of winter, with a little persistence you should be able to secure a gentle used 2013 for under $10 grand. Hell, I bought my 2014 new for under 12 grand and that was from a dealer. Maybe things are different in "the great white north", but here in the middle atlantic states, a well maintained 2006 FJR should sell for about $5000, a 2008 should be in the low 7's. These are just my opinions and my better half will tell you that I'm wrong more often than right, but she doesn't know jack about bikes.

Don't sell your assets short. There's plenty of good deals to be found. You might want to consider a fly and ride too.

On my 2006, I want to do some more work to it before I sell (valve check, tires, plugs, tbs, cct, etc), but when I do offer her for sale in the spring or summer, she'll likely go for right around $5000. (I sold my damn near pristine 2005 with 51K and brand new PR2's for $4300 last May). They're amazing bikes, but I'm not seeing them as grotesquely expensive.

So I looked at a 2006 blue today, it was nice, didn't make an offer. The owner said he was having hard time with the wobble of death but finally found a tire combo that worked... That kind of scared me away from that bike. I have not heard of any other FJRs that had the wobble of death.

I went down to a dealer that had a 2010 with 7500 miles. They wanted $8500 for the bike, it had some scuff marks on the left side where it had been knocked over but my S10 have scuff marks on the right side where I knocked it over. They offered me $7200 on the Super T for trade. I am not confident I could get $7200 selling the S10 on craigs list. The out the door difference was going to be $1500. I haven't pulled the trigger but it's the best offer I have found so far. Still working on spousal approval.

The 2010 had bar risers, highway pegs, and a Givi top case. On a dealer trade I would only have to pay the difference in taxes from one bike to the other. The super T doesn't hold its value all that well unfortunately.

Wobble of death? That is something that happens to older Dodge diesels, not FJRs. I have not heard anything about any wobble of death on the Gen2. Whatever else I may have to say about the fueling on the '06, the chassis should be rock solid.

We all have our opinions about what should and should not be done, what is important and what is not. Since my Dad has a very nice '07 that we bought new and I have been steadily refining it thanks to this forum, let me give you my best advice if the '06 is to be your bike of choice. Keep in mind that I have a 2015 and they are very refined so my standards may be a bit high.

I will disagree with those who say no to the Power Commander. Buy the Power Commander V, buy it from FuelMoto and tell them you want their smoothness map. Go ahead and unlock the goodness that is within this bike. No, you don't need it but it sure makes it nice.

Get the G2 Throttle Tamer. Not much money and not much work for a lot of improvement

Adjust the idle speed to 1100 RPM. Makes more difference than you can imagine.

OES extended frame sliders or Canyon Cages. It is going to fall over, get some protection first.

Bar Risers/Bridge.

Oxford Premium Adventure Heated Grips. Lots of goodness there for $89.

I almost think the 2010 came with factory heated grips, that is worth something. There is no wrong answer with the FJR. The Gen1s are still great bikes, you can still travel Coast to Coast on a Gen1 in style, safety, and comfort. The prices of the Gen2s dropped when the Gen3s came out, they should drop again with the updates to the 2016 FJR. There are some great FJRs out there, get the one YOU want. If it has issues, we will help you fix them. That is what we do.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I looked at a 2006 blue today, it was nice, didn't make an offer. The owner said he was having hard time with the wobble of death but finally found a tire combo that worked... That kind of scared me away from that bike. I have not heard of any other FJRs that had the wobble of death.
I went down to a dealer that had a 2010 with 7500 miles. They wanted $8500 for the bike, it had some scuff marks on the left side where it had been knocked over but my S10 have scuff marks on the right side where I knocked it over. They offered me $7200 on the Super T for trade. I am not confident I could get $7200 selling the S10 on craigs list. The out the door difference was going to be $1500. I haven't pulled the trigger but it's the best offer I have found so far. Still working on spousal approval.

The 2010 had bar risers, highway pegs, and a Givi top case. On a dealer trade I would only have to pay the difference in taxes from one bike to the other. The super T doesn't hold its value all that well unfortunately.
Go fer it! Time is money; you could prolly find a better deal, butt have'in to sell yer S10 would take sum time 'n effort. If you do this swap, yer dun and can get on w/ yer life; live'in large on an FJR!
punk.gif

Do what you want. But I would not buy a older bike that many say needs hundreds of dollars to make it run right for more money.

Something newer that has an asking price that is lower and shipping anywhere in the US right now is $400.

If the dealer is giving you 1500 more for your bike but charging you 1500 too much for the FJR is not a good deal. Remember $1500 less is asking price from a dealer that is getting the 2016s in a few months.

I went down to a dealer that had a 2010 with 7500 miles. They wanted $8500 for the bike, it had some scuff marks on the left side where it had been knocked over but my S10 have scuff marks on the right side where I knocked it over. They offered me $7200 on the Super T for trade. I am not confident I could get $7200 selling the S10 on craigs list. The out the door difference was going to be $1500.
1. That 2010 already has maybe $250-$350 worth of farkles that you would be doing anyway.

2. If you sell your bike in a seperate transaction you lose that tax adjustment you mentioned. In my neck of the woods at 7.75% that's a savings of $660.

3. Consider the downsides of going with CL or some other form of selling it yourself. Lowball offers, test rides, paperwork, etc.

If you like that 2010, pull the trigger.

Tried selling my S10 for a while when I bought my 07 FJR. I had it for sale cheap and kept dropping the price before I just decided to keep both. If you are sure you want rid of the S10, the trade in makes sense to me.

What year and mileage s10?

Trade that S-10! There's at least one new Tenere at a dealership in my area for $9500. If yours is used and scraped up a bit, a $7500 trade offer is outstanding!

Tried selling my S10 for a while when I bought my 07 FJR. I had it for sale cheap and kept dropping the price before I just decided to keep both. If you are sure you want rid of the S10, the trade in makes sense to me.
What year and mileage s10?
I would love to keep both, but I have three kids in daycare. It was a hard sell as it is. It will be a one bike household for a while... I am excited to get back on a capable touring bike. The Tenere was fun when I lived in WA state and had the Cascaded to rocket through. This year I logged 8000 highway miles on the Tenere, by no means a bad ride but there is better out there.

My tenere is a 12 with 13K miles 12700 of those miles are paved.

Deal is locked in, should be doing the exchange this weekend. I'm pumped. There was a little dealer remorse for offering me $7200 on the Tenere. Don't really feel that bad about it. I am sure they will make money on the FJR. Can't wait for spring.

Congrats! Dealer makes his deal, so don't sweat HIS remorse. You've got a great ride. Enjoy it!

That "wobble of death" statement makes me think the guy you talked to confused the FJR with an ST1300, which had a bad high-speed wobble, at least early on (the infamous "Pan weave").

Great job on the FJR deal! You'll love it! ... although it'd be a bit "wobbly" in the snow right now.

I had something I guess you could call "the wobble of death" on my 07 one time when the dealer did not balance the front tire correctly. If I let go of the handle bars while decelerating it would scare the livin crap outta me it wobbled so bad. I absolutely would've wrecked had I not grabbed the handlebars quickly. Funny thing was it did not shake that badly unless you went over 90 mph. I had the dealer re-balance it and all was fine. Now I mount and balance my own tires.

Congratulations on the 2010! Sweet deal you got. Many happy miles are ahead of you!

Fun part of this deal is you can't go wrong! Any of those FJRs will be a great ride. You will love that 2010, however you do have to accept that blue is a faster color, and the 2006 blue has been repeated for good reason. It is just bee you tee full. However, all FJR colors are great because they are on a great bike.

Enjoy your good taste and excellent choice. Since we are having such a strange winter, you may be on it in just a handful of weeks! Hope to see you at Tripper Mikes tech day.