2007 - 12V Switched Lead

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slo-ride

slo-ride
Reaction score
I need to find the factory high beam "hot" and the factory low beam "hot". Which wire colors are these?

I'm powering two auxiliary LED lights...about 12 watts each at 1 amp. I know some in this forum have used after market fuse blocks for this purpose but I don't have one handy at the moment so that isn't an option this go around.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to find a wire to tap for a 12V switched lead. I wanted to use the headlight wire but i can't seem to get to it. I have the left panel off now, the one above the gear shifter, and there seems to be a ton of wires there. Could i use one of these wires to tap into? If so , which color?
I'm powering two auxiliary LED lights...about 12 watts each at 1 amp.

Thanks!
Can I assume you are powering those lights indirectly via a switched relay? You won't want top add ~25 watts to any existing circuits, including the headlights.

A handy spot to pick off switched power is the hot wire of the two that make up the windshield retract connector, especially if you have it unplugged to disable the auto retract. Just put your meter on each of the two wires in that connector (harness side, not the windshield motor side) and see which one goes to 12V when the key is turned on.

I'm trying to find a wire to tap for a 12V switched lead. I wanted to use the headlight wire but i can't seem to get to it. I have the left panel off now, the one above the gear shifter, and there seems to be a ton of wires there. Could i use one of these wires to tap into? If so , which color?

Thanks!
Can I assume you are powering those lights indirectly via a switched relay? You won't want top add ~25 watts to any existing circuits, including the headlights.

A handy spot to pick off switched power is the hot wire of the two that make up the windshield retract connector, especially if you have it unplugged to disable the auto retract. Just put your meter on each of the two wires in that connector (harness side, not the windshield motor side) and see which one goes to 12V when the key is turned on.
I edited my post just as you responded. Sorry about that.

No, actually...the directions I'm using show a Positap connector attached directly to the highbeam head light wire and another connector on the low beam. There is a relay but it controls the hi/low function of the aux. lights.

I suppose I should add a relay and take power directly from the battery? (confused)...

Thanks!

think thats a good spot to get power for heated grips ??

thanks....

So...I took your advice and purchased a relay. I now have the circuit working (pretty much) but I have not assembled it yet. Things I've learned:

1. Don't attempt this without a wiring schematic
  2. Don't attempt without a decent digital voltage meter (unlike mine).
  3. Do expect to remove most of the front panels to get to wiring.
  4. Don't expect it to be a quick job. I've got ten hours in and I'm only half done.

The bike is still in pieces but I should be able to put it together tomorrow. Shame that I've blow two excellent riding days here in GA.

Mike

Thanks!

think thats a good spot to get power for heated grips ??

thanks....
It is if you follow slo-ride's example and use a 12V relay to power the grips. Grips draw even more power than his LED aux lights will.