2007 Altitude Surging Problem - Members Wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now hold on here. That was a bit harsh.
Maybe a bit harsh, but I totally understand his emotion. Regardless of the newb's situation it still looks really lame for a newb on the board with 7 posts to get an ECU that lives in the flats. TruWrecks put so much work in on this issue for the benefit of the forum and I'd love for him to have gotten the first ECU replacement.

My apologies to FJRski. It's been a really long frustrating week. Don't run away on my account.

I did get the first ECU to be installed, so that's not my gripe. The reason I think it hit a nerve was that a few others here have also spent many hours trying to get Yamaha moving for this issue. I know of several others that should have gotten the first batch of ECU's because they do live in areas that constantly cause the bike to have fits. Those people should have gotten the fixed ECU even before I did. For my it was a passion because I love riding in the mountains. It's not a requirement. For others, they live in areas that require change of altitude to go to work. I only change altitude by about 200ft on my commute.

Yamaha's fault, or not, was it a priority to fix a bike that, from the owners own post, may not even have a problem?

I done venting now.

Back to your regular program...

Last edited by a moderator:
The 20% throttle thing is complete bullshit.
Agreed. Maybe if you don't get BELOW 20% throttle surging is avoided, but once you do, and the surging starts, it ain't going away, no matter what you try. It's almost impossible to travel a mountain road without having to slow down, period. That's why I cancelled my yearly long trip (to CO and UT).

The good news is the few reports of the new ECU seem to indicate success. We'll see. Later.

JC

So if this story is accurate, this is what I want to believe happened: the n00b toured away from his home this summer and was into the mountains, experienced the AS problem, returned home and made multiple visits to his local dealer complaining of the problem. Dealer calls Yamaha, dude's name is placed on the ECU fix Wait List. With that done, he doesn't bother adding himself to TruWreck's list. Or, hell, maybe he wasn't even aware of it; he's been a member a whopping 2 months and has only 7 posts....
Trying to give the benefit of the doubt here.... :unsure:
Giving the benefit of doubt is fine.

I have logged 11,000 miles on my bike this year. Had it been running correctly the whole time I would have logged about 20,000 by the end of summer.

I have missed the following rides:

Mt. St. Helen's, twice.

North Cascade Mountain Loop, multiple times.

Redwood Forrest ride down the Oregon coast (The coastal range was the trip route).

and a few others.

Riding in the mountains in western Washington is a lifestyle, not an occasional activity. I live within 40 miles of the most enjoyable roads in the world (IMO), and I spent the entire summer with a bike that took the fun out of that type of riding. I payed for my FJR like everyone else did. I put time and effort in so Yamaha would make things right. They fixed my bike in the first batch because I made a lot of noise with the dealer and Yamaha. Several others here have also done that. I hope every 06-07 FJR gets fixed because of our efforts. It just rashes my hide when it appears that the people in need have to wait, while others may not have needed it at all.

TruWrecks,

I learned about this issue from this forum. I went to a dealer two days ago for a 8000 mile service, the dealer at that time told me that my bike has a recall and I need a part replaced. So, he said that it will take about an hour, so I agreed for him to replace the ECU.

Maybe a bit harsh, but I totally understand his emotion. Regardless of the newb's situation it still looks really lame for a newb on the board with 7 posts to get an ECU that lives in the flats. TruWrecks put so much work in on this issue for the benefit of the forum and I'd love for him to have gotten the first ECU replacement.

My apologies to FJRski. It's been a really long frustrating week. Don't run away on my account.

I did get the first ECU to be installed, so that's not my gripe. The reason I think it hit a nerve was that a few others here have also spent many hours trying to get Yamaha moving for this issue. I know of several others that should have gotten the first batch of ECU's because they do live in areas that constantly cause the bike to have fits. Those people should have gotten the fixed ECU even before I did. For my it was a passion because I love riding in the mountains. It's not a requirement. For others, they live in areas that require change of altitude to go to work. I only change altitude by about 200ft on my commute.

Yamaha's fault, or not, was it a priority to fix a bike that, from the owners own post, may not even have a problem?

I done venting now.

TruWrecks,

No need to apology. I have been reading your reports daily and I think you did outstanding job with researching this issue. You need to get the credit. I only put 8000 miles, which is not that much since May. I went to North Carolina, did Deal’s Gap, went to Canada and some small rides and I did experience an issue. It’s a shame that we now have to discuss this issue. And yes, I only have 8 postings; you all had 8 postings once.

I done venting now.

I got my ECU installed last night. It took the dealer about 45 minutes. Since I live in Illinois, I was not able to test it, because we have flat roads.
I've read all 444 posts since this issue started and I don't find it a bit strange that someone in Illinois would get a ECU before someone living Washington. The amount of bullshit these men and women have had to go through just to get Dealers and Yamaha to admit (?) to the problem follows the same approach in resolving it. Frustrating, Damn right!!! Surprising, not hardly, especially when one reads the full context of this thread.

Not a recall issue cause only a few bikes are affected but Mr. Dealer, if someone complains now, fix it and move on.

How does the old saying go? Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

The most powerful part of this thread was watching it change from utter frustration to hope. The Forum does indeed work.

Capt. Bob

ADD ME TO THE LIST. I LIVE AT 950'. SURGING OCCURED AT 3500' IN S.D. LIKE AN ON-OFF SWITCH. NOT GOOD MID-CORNER. SHUTTING OFF & BACK ON CURES FOR A FEW MINUTES UNTIL THE ECU GETS CONFUSED AGAIN. REPORTED TO YAMAHA SERVICE & LOGGED IN THERE TWICE. THIS WILL KILL RESALE & REPUTATION IF NOT CURED.

I don't think Yamaha is to blame here.
I respectfully and adamantly disagree given my personal experience and facts.
Reading comprehension, AGirl! I said I don't think Yamaha is to blame here, as in this latest discussion on why a flatlander got one of the new ECUs before all the mountain-dwellers. Here, let's try it again:

TruWrecks,I learned about this issue from this forum. I went to a dealer two days ago for a 8000 mile service, the dealer at that time told me that my bike has a recall and I need a part replaced. So, he said that it will take about an hour, so I agreed for him to replace the ECU.
FJRski_2007 evidently has a kick-ass, pro-active dealer, or he leads a charmed life, or whatever. Is it Yamaha's fault that FJRski_2007's dealer went to bat for him, and got one of the new ECUs early? Shyeah, right..... Cypress just responded to a dealer who was taking care of their customer. Why was FJRski's dealer/Regional rep able to help out FJRski when your D&H/Atlanta Regional rep appear clueless about this issue? Fuck if I know. Why the HELL isn't D&H calling Cypress *directly*, if they are being stonewalled by the Atlana rep?!

Okay, another tale of woe in a long line of woeful tales. I realize you're all twisted in a wad about this, and who can blame you. OBVIOUSLY, this is a dicked up situation, but it is being remedied as quickly as a monolithic corporation filled with lawyers and suits will allow it to go. Which is no here near fast enough for those affected.

But there is nothing special about you, as there are THRONGS of 2007 owners who have the same story you do. Your just more vocal about it. Okay. Perhaps you should have taken your own advice here. It sounds like you really are about to just blow a gasket on this issue. Your postings suggest you simply don't have the patience to wait. So why suffer and put yourself through this torment any longer? Admit defeat, swear off Yammys forever, tell all your friends they are complete crap, and punt that POS machine into oblivion. Maybe there's a new GTR1400 in your future. Ever test ride a ST1300? Perhaps there is a Beemer K-bike that will do the job for you.

There are options out there.

I don't think Yamaha is to blame here.
I respectfully and adamantly disagree given my personal experience and facts.
Reading comprehension, AGirl! I said I don't think Yamaha is to blame here, as in this latest discussion on why a flatlander got one of the new ECUs before all the mountain-dwellers. Here, let's try it again:

TruWrecks,I learned about this issue from this forum. I went to a dealer two days ago for a 8000 mile service, the dealer at that time told me that my bike has a recall and I need a part replaced. So, he said that it will take about an hour, so I agreed for him to replace the ECU.
FJRski_2007 evidently has a kick-ass, pro-active dealer, or he leads a charmed life, or whatever. Is it Yamaha's fault that FJRski_2007's dealer went to bat for him, and got one of the new ECUs early? Shyeah, right..... Cypress just responded to a dealer who was taking care of their customer. Why was FJRski's dealer/Regional rep able to help out FJRski when your D&H/Atlanta Regional rep appear clueless about this issue? Fuck if I know. Why the HELL isn't D&H calling Cypress *directly*, if they are being stonewalled by the Atlana rep?!

Okay, another tale of woe in a long line of woeful tales. I realize you're all twisted in a wad about this, and who can blame you. OBVIOUSLY, this is a dicked up situation, but it is being remedied as quickly as a monolithic corporation filled with lawyers and suits will allow it to go. Which is no here near fast enough for those affected.

But there is nothing special about you, as there are THRONGS of 2007 owners who have the same story you do. Your just more vocal about it. Okay. Perhaps you should have taken your own advice here. It sounds like you really are about to just blow a gasket on this issue. Your postings suggest you simply don't have the patience to wait. So why suffer and put yourself through this torment any longer? Admit defeat, swear off Yammys forever, tell all your friends they are complete crap, and punt that POS machine into oblivion. Maybe there's a new GTR1400 in your future. Ever test ride a ST1300? Perhaps there is a Beemer K-bike that will do the job for you.

There are options out there.
If you don't have the surge issue with your bike I don't really understand where your all your emotion is coming from, Warchild, nor do I know what “advice” you are referring to in the link; nonetheless, you can believe the issue is with whoever you'd like in the IL case, and I'll believe it is with Yamaha...kinda that respectful you have your opinion and I'll have mine thing.

C'mon, Warchild, there is no way in the world you could convince me you wouldn't be upset (raging irate ready to shoot?) if YOU were in my shoes, er boots, having been the first to logged the problem w/Yamaha 6 months ago (recorded in the system, w/a RTA, etc), were currently on the road rerouting b/c of the bike's issues, and hearing there was a fix out there that you don't have. As far as the FJR being a POS, nowhere have I said such. I would have never offered to ride the bike anywhere to help Yamaha w/troubleshooting or testing if I didn't think the bike was “the cat's ass” (my exact words). If it was a POS then I would have parked it and not continue to roll miles.

I'm rather lost on what to do next... and being on the road makes it even more challenging to figure out (web/cell access not always avail). I'm willing to ride anywhere to get the ECU. Do I call one of these dealerships in IL, WA, CA who have indeed acquired the ECU and go there? Thank you in advance for explaining that “you have options” part with specifics regarding my FJR.

AGirl

A very good source has told me that we should start seeing the new ECU's mainstream in about a week. The ones that were sent out already are a VERY limited number. I personally know the frustration from others about the delay. I reported problem to my selling dealer in April when I first noticed the surge going over Mt. Hood, OR, got caught in the snow, and nearly had a head-on collision with a camper when the bike went too wide as the throttle kicked back on. The bike ran like the throttle was on on/off switch until i shut it off at a rest stop. That dealer told me that they would look at it, but charge me for the time because they didn't think it was a warranty issue. I fired that dealer.

After tolerating the bike having fits for a short time I found others, on this board, that were having similar experiences. I then went to a different dealer. They took my concerns seriously and we started the investigation with Yamaha. I have had three very scary episodes, and a bunch of little ones. I almost gave up on the FJR with the close calls (camper, cliff and car). The rest were annoying, but tolerable.

If you don't like the service from a dealer, change dealers.

Yamaha is working to get more ECU's out to the dealers. They will notify the dealers with the part number to order when they have more ready to ship.

But there is nothing special about you, as there are THROGS of 2007 owners who have the same story you do.
Me too. I'd like to be more vocal, but I somehow end up burnin' a bridge. I've spoke with another dealer (at the dealership) and he has offered to make a call for me. I suppose I should give HIM another call. Or call customer service again...or just wait.

You guys just need to get your name on the list. I'm a flat-lander, but have gotten my dealer to put in the call to Steve. I told him I didn't need it right away, which he passed on to Steve and was told plenty should be available at the end of October... fine by me.

On another note, does anyone here have a copy of the tech bulletin?

nor do I know what “advice” you are referring to in the link;
It's not that hard to figure out: that link is to YOUR post, where in the last sentence, you are wondering if you should just go ahead and sell the bike.

C'mon, Warchild, there is no way in the world you could convince me you wouldn't be upset (raging irate ready to shoot?) if YOU were in my shoes
:lol:

Oh, trust me, I know EXACTLY, PRECISELY what you are going through. Believe it.

Those forum members who have been in the community since the bike hit our shores know all about the Ticking Saga. My first FJR (2004 ABS) was a RAGING Ticker. And unlike the Altitude Surging issue, Yamaha essentially denied the ticking problem for several YEARS until enough of us banded together to work WITH Yamaha to come to a real solution in the Fall/Winter of 2004/2005. This issue wasn't completely solved until the 2006 model year.

Contrast with this 2007 problem... you all had acknowledgment, diagnosis, and a DELIVERED FIX, all in less than 6 months!!! We would have killed for this kind of corporate response back in the day!

The way we went about it was not unlike the way TruWrecks went about it. We didn't just wring our hands and tell woeful tales. We got off our ass and investigated the matter. We took surveys from affected owners. We collected and provided a wealth of anecdotal evidence. Then we took it to the next level..... I arranged to have my damaged components (exhaust valves and guides) sent off to perform brutally exhaustive metallurgy tests upon them to determine physical properties, chemistry makeup, Destructive Hardness Testing, etc, etc, etc. We had a very sophisticated Jet Propulsion Lab down in SoCal conduct this testing using their multi-million dollar test equipment.

And we shared every last bit of our findings with Cypress.

I know they used it, 'cuz I discussed the matter with some of their Tech guys. They added it to the growing body of evidence collected outside the FJRForum community. And it all got shipped of to Yamaha headquarters in Shizuoka, Japan in the spring of 2005.

And strangely enough, 2005 was the LAST year we have seen a ticking FJR1300.

Now, don't think there weren't times that I wasn't ready to ride down to Cypress and drive my Timex bike right through the front goddamn door of the lobby, and set the sonuvabitch on fire. Because there were times. But.... what the hell good would that do anyone? And how would that help current and future FJR owners? So.... we hung in there until we got results.

You Gen II owners have a lot of members of this forum to thank for your silent cylinder heads. You're welcome.

As far as the FJR being a POS, nowhere have I said such.
*sigh* We need to work on that reading comprehension thingy. Please point out where I indicated you did say as such. You can't, because I didn't.

I'm willing to ride anywhere to get the ECU.
Really.

Is that right.

Okay, tough girl, let's see if you're serious, or just blowing hot air. :)

Bring your ass to Washington state.

I will set up the appointment with Desert Valley Powersports (same guys that own FJRGoodies.com). I will call the Service Manager in the morning, and get the ball rolling to get a new ECU coming to their store in Prosser ASAP. I will PERSONALLY install this ECU in your bike for you.

I'll also get you a place to stay for the night, with your FJR parked inside a garage for the evening. We even feed you. How's that? :D

All you need to do... is PM me your full name and VIN number. That's it. I will take it from there.

Once we get you all hooked up, then assuming weather allows for it, you and I (and Ignacio, Lisa/Tobie Stevens, perhaps other regional forum members) can take a little ride up to Snoqualmie Pass to test out your ECU.

You will leave Washington state with your FJR free of the AS plague.

OK, momma, time to put up or shut up..... ;)

Waiting on your PM..... B)

Well, not yet, but... it's only been 20 minutes; I'm sure AGirl will reply.

One way, or another. :D

Yo.....Gunny that! I'm tellin ya this place is better than fine gold for all us owners/riders. Good on ya WC and I"ll say it, THANKS!! :yahoo:

P.S. In over 414 posts in this thread there is not a single photo... so I'll offer one from a few days ago (as found in my report: HERE):
0-MtWashAUTORd.jpg
Hey! Thanks for the piccy, on account of it leads to a great website. You do one hell of a lot of riding.

Thanks for all the other great pics and reports you put up on seizethejourney. Nice job! Way nice job.

P.S. In over 414 posts in this thread there is not a single photo... so I'll offer one from a few days ago (as found in my report: HERE):
0-MtWashAUTORd.jpg
Hey! Thanks for the piccy, on account of it leads to a great website. You do one hell of a lot of riding.

Thanks for all the other great pics and reports you put up on seizethejourney. Nice job! Way nice job.
I'll second that. I've been following Agirl's Journey most of the summer since her visit here in New England this past spring. The girl knows how to put on the miles.. Quality ones at that. Her writing and photography skills are first rate. Very enjoyable website she maintains.

I hope this ECU problem works out well for her. She's using the FJR for what it was built for. It should serve her admirably.

as posted before anyone have a copy of the tech bulletin. My dealers been givin me the brush off about this problem since i brought it up over a year ago at my first service. I only seem to get things fixed that i have a bulletin for. Thanks for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.