2007 Altitude Surging Problem - Members Wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
as posted before anyone have a copy of the tech bulletin. My dealers been givin me the brush off about this problem since i brought it up over a year ago at my first service.
It was reported by Huck Fonda and Warchild that the service bulletin was supposedly going out to the dealer network this week. You might ask your dealer to check and see if they have received it. If not, I'd expect they will be getting it next week.

At this point, sweetness and understanding will get you farther than demanding or demeaning.

Edit to add: Oh yeah, and lots of patience. The fix is in the pipeline and you WILL be taken care of.

Last edited by a moderator:
as posted before anyone have a copy of the tech bulletin.
I would say probably not, since the TSB hasn't come across the YDS system yet (at least as of earlier today).

I also wouldn't expect it to be published prior to there being sufficient number on ECUs in the parts inventory to handle the load.

I posted this elsewhere a few days ago, but will restate it here also.

My conversations with Yamaha indicated they are forced to first satisfy the potential repo bikes from states/people using the lemon laws to force Yami's hand NOW. As soon as those are satisfied, the remaining stock of new ECUs will be released for others.

The goal/target date for sending the official bulletin to dealers is tomorrow, Friday, October 12, 2007. My suggestion would be to contact your dealer tomorrow to jog their memory and make sure they place the order for your ECU.

And to the earlier posts about the 20% thing being BS...

It's not BS, I will gladly prove it to anyone (until my new ECU arrives of course). It does however depend on how much altitude change has occurred during the moderate throttle opening of less than 20%. I'm fairly certain that the ECU is programmed for a maximum change per time period to avoid input anomalies. You may have to whack the throttle several times over the period of a couple minutes to force the ECU to completely adjust for the new altitude.

Okay, tough girl, let's see if you're serious, or just blowing hot air. :)
Bring your ass to Washington state.

I will set up the appointment with Desert Valley Powersports (same guys that own FJRGoodies.com). I will call the Service Manager in the morning, and get the ball rolling to get a new ECU coming to their store in Prosser ASAP. I will PERSONALLY install this ECU in your bike for you.

I'll also get you a place to stay for the night, with your FJR parked inside a garage for the evening. We even feed you. How's that? :D

All you need to do... is PM me your full name and VIN number. That's it. I will take it from there.

Once we get you all hooked up, then assuming weather allows for it, you and I (and Ignacio, Lisa/Tobie Stevens, perhaps other regional forum members) can take a little ride up to Snoqualmie Pass to test out your ECU.

You will leave Washington state with your FJR free of the AS plague.

OK, momma, time to put up or shut up..... ;)

Waiting on your PM..... B)
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif

[SIZE=12pt]WOOOOOO-HOOOOOO, you're on, Warchild![/SIZE] PM sent! Not only is the end near, but I've got a cool story to go with my "fix".... New Hampshire to WA via TN and AZ to get a bike fixed. :yahoo: Did I mention I kinda like this bike?

I appreciate the positive feedback and support from everyone. Look for an "AGirl goes to WAR(child)" report in the near future.

AGirl

Look for an "AGirl goes to WAR(child)" report in the near future.
<groan> I'm liable to never live this one down..... :lol:

Right, then... off you go to plan a route. Please keep an eye on the Weather Channel as you go, as our PacNorWest winter ain't all that far off.... but we should be okay for several more weeks.

I loooooove a happy (almost) ending. With my recent brain bruise...I'm glad I have a tissue dispenser in the computer room. SNIIIFFFF! :rolleyes:

Okay, tough girl, let's see if you're serious, or just blowing hot air. :)
Bring your ass to Washington state.

I will set up the appointment with Desert Valley Powersports (same guys that own FJRGoodies.com). I will call the Service Manager in the morning, and get the ball rolling to get a new ECU coming to their store in Prosser ASAP. I will PERSONALLY install this ECU in your bike for you.

I'll also get you a place to stay for the night, with your FJR parked inside a garage for the evening. We even feed you. How's that? :D

All you need to do... is PM me your full name and VIN number. That's it. I will take it from there.

Once we get you all hooked up, then assuming weather allows for it, you and I (and Ignacio, Lisa/Tobie Stevens, perhaps other regional forum members) can take a little ride up to Snoqualmie Pass to test out your ECU.

You will leave Washington state with your FJR free of the AS plague.

OK, momma, time to put up or shut up..... ;)

Waiting on your PM..... B)
The FJRForum I'm all in. post.

<wait for it>

cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
cheer.gif
[SIZE=12pt]WOOOOOO-HOOOOOO, you're on, Warchild![/SIZE] PM sent! Not only is the end near, but I've got a cool story to go with my "fix".... New Hampshire to WA via TN and AZ to get a bike fixed. :yahoo: Did I mention I kinda like this bike?

I appreciate the positive feedback and support from everyone. Look for an "AGirl goes to WAR(child)" report in the near future.
...and the FJRForum I'll call response.

This one is a classic. Something tells me these two are going to finish this fix with one hell of a lot of fondness and respect for each other. Well played.

Those forum members who have been in the community since the bike hit our shores know all about the Ticking Saga. My first FJR (2004 ABS) was a RAGING Ticker. And unlike the Altitude Surging issue, Yamaha essentially denied the ticking problem for several YEARS until enough of us banded together to work WITH Yamaha to come to a real solution in the Fall/Winter of 2004/2005. This issue wasn't completely solved until the 2006 model year.
...How do you squeeze "YEARS" into or between 2004 and 2005?

And the '07 FJR has been in the market for about a year now, correct?

...Just wondering.

...How do you squeeze "YEARS" into or between 2004 and 2005?
If you knew the history of the FJR, the Gen I bikes had Tickers from Day One, which was 2001 (for most the of the world; we didn't receive the bike here in the States until 2002, sold as a 2003 model). In fact, the original Aussie TSI on this issue was dated mid-2001, IIRC. So for us here, that makes FOUR (4) production years of Tickers - five, for the rest of the world.

And the '07 FJR has been in the market for about a year now, correct?
Just shy of a year. And as you review the AS threads, this wasn't a widely known issue until the mid-Spring of this year - April-ish, thereabouts (though I have no doubt several owners experienced the problem prior to that). That was roughly the time Yamaha began to get hammered on this issue, and the diagnosis and "fix" was completed by September (though it is of course taking several more weeks to do a production run and get the new ECUs in the supply pipeline).

So... April-ish to Sept-ish => 6 months. Few people appreciate how BLAZING fast this is for a huge corporation full of Suits. Lo', how much more a success the FJR would be had they moved this quickly on the Ticking Issue! But that particular problem was a lot more difficult to diagnose than the AS problem. We've always known the AS problem was a simple fueling issue. But any number of causes could have been behind the Ticking Issue - initially, we had no idea if it was a design flaw, materials issues, cooling system issue, oil usage, break-in procedure, lack of lubrication, assembly line problem, or 101 other possible causes. The lack of any meaningful trending was likely a contributing factor behind the length of time it took Yamaha to fix that one. And there are still a lot of 2002-2005 Tickers out there.....

Including my current 2003 Deer-Strike FJR... at 47,000 miles, it's ticking like a bastard, and using about 800cc of oil every 1500 miles. Roll-ons are significantly down on power compared to when I picked the bike up in winter, 2004. I replaced all my Irridiums a couple weeks ago; the #1 plug was considerably darker than than other three. If you really want to test your loyalty to the marque, try having both your FJRs that you bought turn into Tickers. :glare:

...Just wondering.
Now you know...

Few people appreciate how BLAZING fast this is for a huge corporation full of Suits.
Yep, that is lightning fast for a corporation of this size. Makes me wonder if this was a one-time fluke or something else.

Anyone know for sure *how* Yamaha became aware of the surge vs the tick? Who at Yamaha became aware first? That might have a lot to do with how responses were formulated.

Few people appreciate how BLAZING fast this is for a huge corporation full of Suits.
Yep, that is lightning fast for a corporation of this size. Makes me wonder if this was a one-time fluke or something else.

Anyone know for sure *how* Yamaha became aware of the surge vs the tick? Who at Yamaha became aware first? That might have a lot to do with how responses were formulated.
The tick was unlikely to kill anyone. The surge has the potential, hence much higher liablity?

The tick was unlikely to kill anyone. The surge has the potential, hence much higher liablity?
Reasonable hypothesis, but keep in mind that the '07 FJR isn't the only Yamaha bike to suffer (have suffered?) fueling problems so their engineers had somewhat of a rolling start on this one (check-out fueling issues pertaining to the '06 FZ1).

As an aside, I am curious as to the reason for the '06 to '07 ECU revision leading to the AS problem. What was the root cause of the problem? Euro 3 emission standards? New vendor? Manufacturing or engineering issue? Or a combination of all of above? I know, it's a rhetorical question, but my ISO9001 brain wants to know... :glare:

What a difference a day makes.... I went from zero (ECU) options, to two. Don't want to double post, so details in #41: HERE.

I will add the new ECU's part number that was given to me: [SIZE=12pt]90891-30054-000[/SIZE]

Let the mojo roll on this new ECU working!

AGirl

What a difference a day makes.... I went from zero (ECU) options, to two. Don't want to double post, so details in #41: HERE.
I will add the new ECU's part number that was given to me: [SIZE=12pt]90891-30054-000[/SIZE]

Let the mojo roll on this new ECU working!

AGirl

Good news, but you've cross linked posts, resulting in a space/time infringment. Your new ECU will work fine, but your muffler bearings will fail yesterday. :glare:

Status
Not open for further replies.