2007 FJR(A) ECU Swap Done

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biknflyfisher

Reaction score
I recently had the ECU swap done on Francisco J. Rojas (get it??- FJR!) by Wilson's Cycles in Fresno. Prior to the swap, once I got to about 4,000 feet elevation and higher, the surging malady in early 2007 VIN's made riding in sweepers diffucult at best, and even dangerous if you grabbed too much throttle. When the swap was done, the tech at Wilson's said I would not feel any difference whatsoever until I got to higher elevation (Fresno is approx 300 ft above sea level), however, I felt significantly better and more accurate throttle response immediately as I was driving the 25 miles home.

This weekend will be the real test as my Dad and I are venturing out for our "4-Passes Ride" and will be spending lots of time at elevation. We will head north on 99 to 59, then 59 to 49 all the way to Jackson. At Jackson we will take 88 east over Carson Pass, and come back (west) over Ebbetts Pass on 4 and will spend the night in Murphy's. The next morning we will head to 108 and go back over the Sierras (east) via Sonora Pass, then head south on 395 to Lee Vining and come back home (west) via Tioga Pass/Yosemite on 120, then will take 41 to 99 home to the Swedish Village (Kingsburg, that is).

This should give a real test to the high-altitude changes made to the replacement ECU and a good workout for Francisco as well. I just need to remember to watch for Dad on the Gold Wing in my mirrors!

Ciao Baby!

biknflyfisher

I recently had the ECU swap done on Francisco J. Rojas (get it??- FJR!) by Wilson's Cycles in Fresno. Prior to the swap, once I got to about 4,000 feet elevation and higher, the surging malady in early 2007 VIN's made riding in sweepers diffucult at best, and even dangerous if you grabbed too much throttle. When the swap was done, the tech at Wilson's said I would not feel any difference whatsoever until I got to higher elevation (Fresno is approx 300 ft above sea level), however, I felt significantly better and more accurate throttle response immediately as I was driving the 25 miles home.This weekend will be the real test as my Dad and I are venturing out for our "4-Passes Ride" and will be spending lots of time at elevation. We will head north on 99 to 59, then 59 to 49 all the way to Jackson. At Jackson we will take 88 east over Carson Pass, and come back (west) over Ebbetts Pass on 4 and will spend the night in Murphy's. The next morning we will head to 108 and go back over the Sierras (east) via Sonora Pass, then head south on 395 to Lee Vining and come back home (west) via Tioga Pass/Yosemite on 120, then will take 41 to 99 home to the Swedish Village (Kingsburg, that is).

This should give a real test to the high-altitude changes made to the replacement ECU and a good workout for Francisco as well. I just need to remember to watch for Dad on the Gold Wing in my mirrors!

Ciao Baby!

biknflyfisher
I would like to know if you saw where it helped with the easy roll on of the throttle i have a hard time with this on my 2007 as well as the high elevation thing. i am 52 years old and have been riding all my life so its not a lack of experience.

07 throttles are just bad.

Fortunately, there are a number of thins you can do that help:

G2 throttle tube

Barbarian mod

grip puppies

take out the slack in the throttle cables

If your're still not happy, Power Commander III

I've done the first four, and they help immensely. When I changed out the ECU on mine, I didn't notice any change in the throttle response.

Good luck!

I bought an '07 late last summer and rode it awhile without the ecu swap. I didn't have any problems because I didn't ride any significant altitude changes. I got the ecu swapped a few months later. This June I rode to e. TN through the smokes and Deals Gap. Over 6000' alt change in all and I didn't experience any surging at all. Performed great.

Well, the 4 passes ride (Carson-Ebbetts-Sonora-Tioga) with the new altitude-compensating ECU was a rousing success!! All of the surging problems experienced on Francisco previously have disappeared, even though all 4 passes are at or above 9,000 feet elevation. Gas mileage was great - the 1st 3 tanks representing 523 miles was at an average of 51.7 MPG. The last tank from Lee Vining, over Tioga Pass through Yosemite to home was even better from what I can tell on the gauge, I just have not filled up the tank yet to check the number. I suspect that tank could be 55MPG or so as once you crest Tioga Pass, it's a whole lot of downhill driving to the San Joaquin Valley.

The fix is the real-deal, and I encourage you to check with your local dealership to see if you can get the ECU swapped out if you have any of the surging malady in your prospective bike(s). The (jerky) throttle still exhibits the quirks that can be ironed out with the G2 fix, I just have not done that yet and am using gentle throttle position changes to deal with that issue until replaced.

The throttle spring tension - that's the next fix. Talk about wrist pump after 705 miles. My Harley Dyna had a stiff spring but it was nothing compared to the FJR - holy cow!

Be safe out there.

biknflyfisher