• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

2007 FJR on Cycle Trader - No response from seller

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Aldea

FJR/Concours Pilot
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I found, on Cycle Trader, this 2007 FJR in Georgia that I think just might be the right one for me. But I can't get any response from the seller to my efforts to contact him.
character0029.gif
This motor has every farkle I think I would ever want except for highway pegs.
great.gif
Which makes me a bit suprised that it is not for sale on this forum.

I've sent the seller an email through Cycle Trader and a text message to his phone and gotten no response.
banghead.gif
It seems strange that he would spend the money to put in on Cycle Trader and then be unresponsive to potential buyers.
rolleyes.gif

17.gif
By any chance does anyone recognize this motor and know Robert, the Georgia seller?

107314986_1thumb_550x410.jpg

107314986_5thumb_550x410.jpg

107314986_15thumb_550x410.jpg

107314986_17thumb_550x410.jpg

107314986_6thumb_550x410.jpg

107314986_12thumb_550x410.jpg

Perhaps a strange question, but did you try calling him? Believe it or not, a lot of people don't check email that often and don't text, and even have texting blocked on their phones. I have texting blocked because it's not something I use and I got tired of paying $0.75 a text for wrong number texts. If people text me, I don't know about it, and they don't know it's not getting thru either.

It's also possible the bike simply sold already and the seller is too lazy to delete the ad, or bother responding to you since it means nothing to him.

Two kinds of guys that don't respond to your attempts to contact them:

One: those who are irresponsible or too lazy to check their phone or email. You don't want to buy ANYTHING from these types. It's too likely that they'd have the same problems with maintenance.

Two: those who've got a fish on the hook already... but doesn't care enough about those who make inquiries to respond. You don't want to buy ANYTHING from these types either. Sure sign they don't care about anybody buy themselves, and would sell anything to anyone. Buyer beware.

In either case, maybe this old proverb will help: If horse not moving, check pulse.

Maybe you've got a dead horse??

One other possibility would be that someone forgot to charge their phone, or had it recently shut off due to an unpaid bill... which might explain why the bike's for sale.

Just thinkin'

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why you want that bike in particular.

If I lived where you do, I'd look at this one:

$4300 for a 2005 ABS w/ 22k miles Wow!! What a ridiculously smokin' good deal this one is. I should buy it, transfer all my farkles over and then sell off my old '05!!

Or if you absolutely have to have a 2nd gen, there is a nice looking '08 nearby too:

$8k for 2008 w/ 15k miles

But think of all the places you could go and things you could do with the $4k difference in price!

Yes, a nice guy that had lost his job a few weeks ago and posred it on the other forum. He updated last week I believe that he had a good job offer and would be keeping the bike.

$4300 for a 2005 ABS w/ 22k miles Wow!! What a ridiculously smokin' good deal this one is. I should buy it, transfer all my farkles over and then sell off my old '05!!

Or if you absolutely have to have a 2nd gen, there is a nice looking '08 nearby too:

But think of all the places you could go and things you could do with the $4k difference in price!
I like this particular 2007 because it has every farkle except for highway pegs that I think I'd ever want to add to a FJR. Thus saving me the time and money to make it the way I'd want.

I'm expecting the next motor I purchase will probably be my last so I want to get everything I want on it. I have doubts that I will be able to afford to buy another motor once I retire.

The $4300 for a 2005 ABS w/ 22k miles did not show up in my Craigslist searches for an "FJR1300" because the seller is using a subject of,

%%%2005 $$$Yamaha$$$ FJR @@@1300AT - $4300
How did you happen to find it? If I was to add all the farkles that are on the 2007 to this 2005 it would probably cost me the same or more than the 2007.

The $8k for 2008 w/ 15k miles may be local but it is lacking certain farkles: driving lights, PC III, saddle, suspension, etc., which would again raise the final cost after adding them. Also, I'm inclined to prefer the black cherry color of the 2007. Now if Yamaha had offered ABS in 2003 I would consider buying that year and adding farkles.

Most people prefer to add their own customization, that way they get it exactly the way they want it. We all have our own wants and needs. Some add-ons don't really matter, but others have to be made to order to get the full benefit. Where you have never owned an FJR before, how do you know that thise are the farkles you will want/need when you get the bike? I'd hate to add up all the farkles I bought, tried and turned around and sold off cause they didn't work out for me.

I found those bikes by going to the Craigs List, Central New Jersey page and searching on "FJR" (without the quotes). Clicky

I also have no idea what the asking price on that '07 was as I never saw the actual ad.

My main point in my post is that, were I you I would prefer to make a local deal where I could go and see the bike live and in person, and talk with the previous owner. If this is likely to be your last bike, then getting one with very low mileage might be one of your highest priorities.

You won't find really great bargains like the 07 that was for sale on the other forum every day, it was almost a "have to" case it seemed, which I am glad it didn't turn out that way! Nobody wants to have to sell something that they had gotten set up perfect for them due to things they can't control... but, buy you a good start with a good mileage FJR and then put on what you decide you have to have as time and opportunity show up, they will. A good setup stock suspension FJR is much better than either of my past C10's were so you may be surprised at what you will need after riding it some. I am debating selling this 2010 C14 to get an FJR back in my garage!! I miss my '07...

The ad for the '05 looks a bit suspicious, no info except the mileage and the heading of the ad below looks like some typical scammer ads on CL suites that I've seen, probably copied someone elses pics and posted up a fake ad to scam someone? Hope I'm wrong, but if it were me, I'd be cautious:

%%%2005 $$$Yamaha$$$ FJR @@@1300AT - $4300 (New Jersey)

Yes, a nice guy that had lost his job a few weeks ago and posred it on the other forum. He updated last week I believe that he had a good job offer and would be keeping the bike.
That was RootBeerExpress's bike. He actually had it for sale for a couple weeks. He got laid off and decided he should sell.

Right before Riders took a crap he posted up that he got a good job offer and was keeping the bike. Maybe that explains the lack of reply through Cycle Trader.

As far as the text, when I put stuff up for sale, I ignore testers. If they can't have a live conversation, I don't see a need to talk to them. I think it's rude. Maybe he didn't like it either.

Oh well...Good luck on your search.

Damn! never though of Cycle trader.. Craigslist is a joke an fleabay is so fecking annoying.

14 inquires on mine and only 2 were legit..

The ad for the '05 looks a bit suspicious, no info except the mileage and the heading of the ad below looks like some typical scammer ads on CL suites that I've seen, probably copied someone elses pics and posted up a fake ad to scam someone? Hope I'm wrong, but if it were me, I'd be cautious:

%%%2005 $$$Yamaha$$$ FJR @@@1300AT - $4300 (New Jersey)
Yep. Lots of scams out there. New Jersey is looking very tropical these days; check out the palm trees! Plus the plate on the car aint' Joisy either.

Most people prefer to add their own customization, that way they get it exactly the way they want it. We all have our own wants and needs. Some add-ons don't really matter, but others have to be made to order to get the full benefit. Where you have never owned an FJR before, how do you know that thise are the farkles you will want/need when you get the bike? I'd hate to add up all the farkles I bought, tried and turned around and sold off cause they didn't work out for me.

I found those bikes by going to the Craigs List, Central New Jersey page and searching on "FJR" (without the quotes). Clicky

I also have no idea what the asking price on that '07 was as I never saw the actual ad.

My main point in my post is that, were I you I would prefer to make a local deal where I could go and see the bike live and in person, and talk with the previous owner. If this is likely to be your last bike, then getting one with very low mileage might be one of your highest priorities.
The 2007 in question has 21,883 miles with an asking price of $7999. The seller claims $5000 in aftermarket accessories. The email I sent the seller asked him some detailed questions about his motor and I thought it would be better to get the answers in writing rather than trying to make notes while talking to him on the phone.

• What type of driving light do you have mounted?
  • What weight rider was the suspension set up for?
  • Do you still have the OEM exhaust and saddle?
  • Which model Givi Top Case?
  • Can you provide a complete list of all the accessories and modifications?
The only obvious thing he has done that I might not want is the Two Brothers Exhaust which is why I asked whether he still had the OEM.

My brother lives near the seller in Georgia and I have numerous friends from COG in Georgia who I could ask to go check out the motor if I want to pursue this particular ride after getting more information. If it all looks good I would go down and make the deal after my personal inspection. Then I would leave the motor at my brother's and in the Spring take a week riding it home.

That was RootBeerExpress's bike. He actually had it for sale for a couple weeks. He got laid off and decided he should sell.

Right before Riders took a crap he posted up that he got a good job offer and was keeping the bike. Maybe that explains the lack of reply through Cycle Trader.

As far as the text, when I put stuff up for sale, I ignore testers. If they can't have a live conversation, I don't see a need to talk to them. I think it's rude. Maybe he didn't like it either.

Oh well...Good luck on your search.
Which other forum are you refering to? I looked for this motor on the FJR Owners forum but did not find it or any user RootBeerExpress.

Damn! never though of Cycle trader.. Craigslist is a joke an fleabay is so fecking annoying.

14 inquires on mine and only 2 were legit..
Most of the motors listed on Cycle Trader seem overpriced to me. That is why I was very surprised when I found this one. It seems more like the kind of deal that would be offered here on the forum.

The ad was last updated on Nov 27, 2012.

I think Cycle Trader tends to be dealers more than owners, which explains their higher pricing. And yes, dealing with people directly, like on Craigs List does bring the risk of being scammed (if you are dumber than a rock) but with the potential upside of saving a bunch of cash. Just use your head and make all deals face to face. I don't really think that '05 deal was "too good to be true". Just a good deal on a very low mileage first gen bike. YMMV.

The other forum is FJRiders.com, which has been a favorite hangout of the South Eastern US contingent FJR owners, but it's server has been down for a couple of weeks now.

Well I tried calling Robert a couple of days ago and got his voice mail. I left a message and he has not called back. I guess I'm destined to keep riding a 17 year old Connie.

Right before Riders took a crap he posted up that he got a good job offer and was keeping the bike.

Well I tried calling Robert a couple of days ago and got his voice mail. I left a message and he has not called back. I guess I'm destined to keep riding a 17 year old Connie.
HRZ pretty much covered it I think...looks like he's keeping the bike. Probably time to look at others on the market...