2008 FJR1300 - Dear Yamaha, this is what we want.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A six speed is a must!!!
Can someone explain this to me? You guys that want a sixth gear, do you want a taller top gear or do want to shift more often? The bike has been clocked at 155 on GPS, how fast do you want to go?

I'd like to see handlebars where the angle at the grip can be adjusted. Other than this minor request, I like everything else just the way it is.

Cruise Control

Heated Grips on the standard model

Heated Seat - front and rear

and the most important of all......

20-25 more horsepower

Mark

A six speed is a must!!!
Can someone explain this to me? You guys that want a sixth gear, do you want a taller top gear or do want to shift more often? The bike has been clocked at 155 on GPS, how fast do you want to go?

All vehicles start running out of steam as they approach their tops speeds. 155mph is fine, however, it means that the steam starts winding down around 120-140mph. If the top speed was 175mph, you might not ever use that top speed, however, it is going to be a lot faster in the 120-140mph range where you need it the most.

:)

Mark

Seems to me that the FJR is undersprung for much of America. Maybe the US model should have high spring rates front and back. In any event, just look at all the common mods, then this thread is answered.
Yes, why not make Ohlin's available on the FJR. And make the color FLAME RED!

Tom

Yamaha has illustrated that they can offer more than one model to the states. If they would continue with the "A" model as the standard and offer a "realistic" optioned model that will enhance the use of a "real world" "sport touring" motorcycle and drop the "needless gimickary" of present.

The only things I would suggest as standard are:

1) Better FI mapping.

2) Stonger alternator (650 min.)

3) Better adjustment for handlebars or go back to 1st generation and I'll adjust them myself.

4) I don't care about a 6th gear as long as top gear is gets the rpm's lower than my 05. I understand the new bike does that.

The otioned model should have:

1) Cruise contol. Thats it!

Other options to consider but not neccessary are:

1) Different color on the option model.

2) ABS. That would allow the standard model to be offered at a $$$ savings.

3) Color matched trunk.

Just some thoughts!

Roadhound

For those still under the impression another gear would transform the FJR - a little excert from Kawasaki on their newest KLR 650:

Five-speed Transmission- Designed to handle the engine’s unique power characteristics

- The engine’s broad torque curve only requires five speeds for off-road and relaxed highway cruising

- O-ring drive chain reduces maintenance and increases chain service life
This is a 36hp (rwhp) machine! Even Kaw knows that a broad enough torque band makes extra gears useless. Sure you could put a hotter cam and bigger valves and intake throats in it, making it much peakier which could THEN take advantage of an extra gear, but you would have a VERY different beast. Mabye that is what some of the power hungry FJR riders are looking for? But if speed is really that much of a focus, why not get the literbike of your choice and save 150lbs of unnecessary weight AND $4,000? Is it the bags?

I would like to see: A six speed transmission, color choice, more accessories available directly from Yamaha. How about your recommendations? Let's send them over to Yamaha...

Factory installed 'Electronic Cruise Control."

Realistic changes, in order of importance:

-[SIZE=18pt]No freaking surging[/SIZE]

-more cornering clearance with redesigned mufflers (easy)

-cruise

-non-linked ABS brakes (cheaper)

-heated grips (already standard on AEs)

Oh, and fix the freaking surging on '07s. Later.

JC

My votes are:

1.) Weight reduction in every way.

2.) Keep wind tunnel testing and further smooth airflow

3.) Stiffer springs and higher quality shock damping.

4.) Better tires (read ditch Dunlops!!!)

5.) Redesign fuel tank to carry fuel under tank for less topheavy feel.

6.) A "real" rack that can carry a large trunk packed with gear.

7.) Useable Helmet lock

Perhaps sub divide the bike further as has been done on other models. One sporty model with few frills (leave adj windshield/shaft) and upgrade brakes/suspension for sport riding and another decked out with electric cruise, highway pegs, elec adjustable preload, better seat, and of course a larger alternator. Think on one hand goldwing's little brother

Another thing I wouldn't mind is an FJR950 triple that weighs less than 500lbs wet. Make power to weight similar to the 1300 and make it as smooth as possible. Same design, just pint size it. Or have an FZ1 optional touring package (adj shield, lower pegs, adj bars, full fairing, bags)

The turn signal should be self canceling, as pointed out I also am hitting the button all the time to insure it is not still blinking. Also add speed read out to dig display side so you can toggle it on if you like. I used a GPS for a trip and used it for speed readout instead of the fine print speedo. Those should be cheap fixes.

I think for the touring part of the bike a 6 gear or overdrive makes sense. Drops the rpm, more mpg whats not to like?

How about returning the BARO sensor to the 08 bike so it can properly self adjust the fuel map when the altitude changes (like the early model FJR's had).

The Barometric sensor is built into the ECU unit. Just kidding!

On one Honda Prelude I owned the baro sensor was included right on the ECU board. No wiring requred.

Status
Not open for further replies.