2008 Fueling issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HendR1ck

Reaction score
Hello all! Again, new to the FJR, but been riding street since 1985 and work on MANY different types of motorcycles through out that time!

I bought a 2008 FJR on 17 April. Only 11,000 miles on it and in great shape. Has Two Brothers exhaust, I dont know if slip-on, or full; I would assume just slip-on but have not really crawled around the bike to see just yet. I have pulled the seats and do not see a Power commander, juice box, or any type of ECU add-on at all.

Anyway, from idle to about 3K rpm, it is not fueling right at all. Idles very rough, and every once in a while it will stall. On take-off, I have to really watch it so it does not stall as well.

What are your suggestions as this is my first go-round with an FJR??

Thanks everyone for any help!!

I am sure the more experienced will chime in, but one thing to check is to make sure your idle is set at 1100rpm.

Going through some of the same with my dad's '07. I have a thread PC III or V that may have most of your answers. My PC V is on the way now, hope to have it installed next week.

Since I like this exhaust and did not have to pay extra for it, I am pretty sure a PowerCommander is the next step. I just wanted to get the oppinion of the more experianced with this bike.

I will have to figure out how to post pics; (like you have not seen a black FJR with C/F cans on it already)

Everyone has you pointed in the right direction. Idle speed, check the TBS and it's probably worthwhile to take a look at plugs too.

At last weekends PNW Tech Meet, we adjusted the TBS on a '04 that was idling terrible. After starting from scratch, the idle was FJR smooth when we were done. Yours is new enough that it shouldn't be that messed up...

For pics, upload to a hosting site [i use photobucket] size to 640 X 480 and use the IMG feature on the tool bar. :)

--G

For what is it worth, my 2010 with just the carbon fiber two brothers slips-ons runs fine without any of the characteristics you have mentioned. Wondering if the fuel metering was revised during the years of production?

IMG_2356e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a lot of stalling issues with my 08. I brought it back to the dealer and they couldn't find anything. After getting tired of stalling in the middle of intersections and nearly getting killed a few times I bought a PC III and never had an issue again.

The idle screw is on the right side a little behind where your knee will be under the gas tank. Make sure your idle is at 1100 like others have said. It will not help the stalling issue you will still need a PC III or V.

Good luck,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the exact same set-up on my '08 with no after-market fuel manager and no idle or stalling issues at all so I would have to say it's not the 2/Bros cans. I put the 2/Bros on myself so I know nothing has been tweaked for them.

2brosr2.jpg

I have the exact same set-up on my '08 with no after-market fuel manager and no idle or stalling issues at all so I would have to say it's not the 2/Bros cans. I put the 2/Bros on myself so I know nothing has been tweaked for them.

2brosr2.jpg
As mentioned 1100 rpm idle, TBS . Plus do you hav any inserts in the pipes ?

If not your low end torque will suffer.

2brosr2.jpg
As mentioned 1100 rpm idle, TBS . Plus do you hav any inserts in the pipes ?

If not your low end torque will suffer.
Yes, I have the "quieter tips" installed if that's what you mean by inserts. But like I said I have NO ISSUES with idle or stalling and in fact the bike seemed to be more responsive with the 2/Bros then with the stock cans.

I am right at 1,100-1,200 idle speed. Still chugs/caughs once very minuete or so, not a stall, but just a slight interuption in smooth idle....

How often do you change plugs in the FJR, and what kind? No owners manual.....

It's a long shot but you might want to check the air filter too. Don't know how the previous owner stored it but critters have been known to take up residence in M/C air filters. Also before getting too deep into things you might try running some Sea Foam through the fuel system mixed with your gas to clean the injectors.

I've got an '08 and I agree that the fueling under 2K is terrible on our bikes. Last year I fooled around with my bike an awful lot, and I discovered that the computer was adding acceleration enrichment when it wasn't supposed to (by using asynchronous injection pulses). It went away if you disconnected the TPS. Using the accelerator pump tool on a power commander made the bike run like it ought to, but it made the bike unacceptable to ride at anything over about 50% throttle.

The best solution I've found was to add a switch that disconnected the TPS at low speeds. I use this when I'm stuck in traffic, or any other time I need to run under 2K RPMs. Under normal riding I leave the TPS connected.

Humor me, and unplug your TPS sometime and report back how the idle is. I bet it is smooth as glass, like mine. Plug it back in and you get multiple extra injection pulses and an unsteady idle.

If you've never unplugged it, it's easy. Remove the seat, then the plastic cover that wraps around the tank, and you should be able to access the TPS on the right side of the bike.

Joe

I have owned my 2008 FJR for almost 2 weeks now.

My idle is set at 1,100 RsPM and it has fresh 87 octane in it. Ran an injector cleaner in the last tank of gas...

Still runs horibly at small throtle openings; WHAT THE F!!

I would like to set the throttle bodies and the TPS, I just dont know how to do the throttle bodies and I dont know where the TPS is located.

Tried to search for TPS, but the search didnt work.....

Got a link for a good "how to"?

Have a look here for starters. I'm not sure if you really want to mess with your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) without being absolutely sure you have a problem with it. :rolleyes:

Don