2008 Fueling issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have owned my 2008 FJR for almost 2 weeks now.

My idle is set at 1,100 RsPM and it has fresh 87 octane in it. Ran an injector cleaner in the last tank of gas...

Still runs horibly at small throtle openings; WHAT THE F!!

I would like to set the throttle bodies and the TPS, I just dont know how to do the throttle bodies and I dont know where the TPS is located.

Tried to search for TPS, but the search didnt work.....

Got a link for a good "how to"?
First off, to give you better advice, can you expand on what you mean by "runs horribly at low throttle openings?" :unsure:

You can't search on a three letter word using the forum's built in search feature. But you can by using Google like this:

checking TPS site:fjrforum.com

There really is no need to adjust the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). You just want to check it out and make sure it is functioning correctly with the "Diags" screen. A TBS (Throttle Body Sync) is an adjustment, but will not likely be of much help in alleviating your low rpm symptoms (whatever they are) unless it is really hosed up.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to answer the question in the thread title: The TPS is located on the end of the throttle body. It's item #18 in the parts fiche

Last edited by a moderator:
Explain the problem better; OK.

At small throttle openings, I would be taking it easy, mostly in town or on base, between 1,500-2,500 RsPM. In that range the fueling SUCKS! It runs rough, surges and cuts out, like I said runs horribly. Get it above 3,000 RsPM and it runs freak'n GREAT!!

The reason I asked about the TPS, I owned an FZ1 in the past and had to adjust the TPS, which helped quite a bit. I figured it was worth a look...

Why the heck did you buy something which didn't meet your performance standards?

If you can't determine where the TPS is located you may not be a good candidate for adjusting it. Syncing the throttle body air screws will improve off idle throttle response. It will also affect operation during closed+ low throttle conditions.

imho you shouldn't be running the FJR between 1500-2000 rpm unless you are actually slipping the clutch. I don't think many are going to run smooth at that rpm.

Are there any other FJR riders near you? You could swap bikes to see if it just your typical low rpm lean surging/throttle snatchiness or if yours actually has a unique issue.

At small throttle openings, I would be taking it easy, mostly in town or on base, between 1,500-2,500 RsPM. In that range the fueling SUCKS! It runs rough, surges and cuts out, like I said runs horribly. Get it above 3,000 RsPM and it runs freak'n GREAT!!

The reason I asked about the TPS, I owned an FZ1 in the past and had to adjust the TPS, which helped quite a bit. I figured it was worth a look...
The only "adjustment" is to loosen and rotate the TPS on the end of the throttle body looking for a 15 in the DIAG screen with the throttle closed (doesn't even have to be running). It should then go up to 100 at WFO. If you just go into the DIAGs and look at them first you might be able to save the effort of jacking the tank up for nothing.

Skooter is right. I almost never run my bike at less than 3k rpm. Cruising is generally best done at 3500 - 4500 rpm. And above 4500 is the fun place.

Wow, you guys must be new riders.

When in town or on base, the tourq of the FJR could EASILY run at 2,000 in 3rd to make the speed limit and not sound like i am trying to rev the motor out.

My 2007 R1 (not having anywhere NEAR the low end the FJR does) would run fine at 2,500 RsPM in 6th so again, I could do the speed limit and not rev it up.

Why do you guys think Yamaha went through all the trouble to have such a great low end tourq motor in this bike, if you had to pull 4,000 RsPM just to cruise?!?

As for my mechanical background, well, you dont know me so I'll let that slide. I am new to the FJR so I thought I would ask about locations of parts instead of just pulling panels and rooting around.

FredW, that is exactly what I intend to do, so thanks for some good info, but I dont know how to enter this DIAG screen yet.....

So; if you guys have to run your bikes at 3,500-4,000 RPM to run right, something is wrong. I hope you are not maintaining anyone elses bikes...

I found another write up that gave me some info.

I did the diagnostic and the TPS is 16 when closed and 100 at full throtle.

Thanks.

And thanks for the -1 on popularity poll. Damm, lighten up Francis...

Yep, that's me. Busted! Actually, I don't ride at all. I'm just a pimply-faced 14 year old fat kid with madd computer skillz that has everybody around here fooled. Everybody but you that is. You are obviously a fart smeller! :)

I won't add anything more to this discussion since you seem to be All Knowing and Powerful on anything moto-related.

As for your 'lighten up Francis' comment, well...... you might want to take you own advice.........

Yep, that's me. Busted! Actually, I don't ride at all. I'm just a pimply-faced 14 year old fat kid with madd computer skillz that has everybody around here fooled. Everybody but you that is. You are obviously a fart smeller! :)

I won't add anything more to this discussion since you seem to be All Knowing and Powerful on anything moto-related.

As for your 'lighten up Francis' comment, well...... you might want to take you own advice.........
I saw the title of this thread, and thought the OP has 7 different bosses wanting him to resubmit his TPS reports from 2008...

Yeah, I'm going to need you to go ahead and process those TPS reports....

Going to do the "Barbarian" mod next. Looks like something that should have been factory in the first place.

Yeah, I'm going to need you to go ahead and process those TPS reports....

Going to do the "Barbarian" mod next. Looks like something that should have been factory in the first place.
I think it is (or was at one time) but only outside of North America.

Those EPA greenies wouldn't want users to be able to just raise their own exhaust CO output, don't you know... ;)

Sounds like your bike does the same thing as mine, although after putting on a PCIII my fueling problem is limited to right around 1750 RPMs. The only time it cleans up is when I unplug the TPS, but that's no cure...

Click for my old thread.

Joe

So I found that "Barbarian" mod and did it.

WOW what a difference!! My bike would surge/cut out between 1,500 and 2,500 in any gear.

Moved that wire to position 25 and changed the settings +7. Almost perfect!!

My CO numbers were 10; all 4 of them were 10. Is that normal?

Did the "Barbarian" and MAN is my bike running better!!

Pulls 30mph in 3rd gear, 2000 RsPM and SMOOTH!!

THAT is how a 1,300cc SportTourer SHOULD run!!

Now, me being a new FJR guy, instead of telling me to "Cruise" in town/base at 3,500 RPM, This "Barbarian" mod should have been the first thing you tell a new guy...even with my limited mech skills, only took me 12 Min!!

Now, me being a new FJR guy, instead of telling me to "Cruise" in town/base at 3,500 RPM, This "Barbarian" mod should have been the first thing you tell a new guy...even with my limited mech skills, only took me 12 Min!!
Maybe instead of whining about not being told the magic thing first--you should say, "Thank you." The people that wrote up that procedure and host it on FJRTech are forum dwellers and one of your hosts.

Maybe you as a newbie should have taken the advice to look around a bit first instead of going post happy.

Maybe you should have done this as one thread instead of as three separate ones. Even with your limited skills...spreading bits of information across three different areas didn't help much. Threads merged. <_<

Regardless, I'm glad your bike is running like you want and you *think* the BJM will fix all your woes. I hope you stick around and politely use the masses of other information and resources in this place. :D

I guess I should have stoped at the point when one of the all-knowing here told me to just cruise around at 3,500+ RsPM all the time?!

How dare I want a better answer then that.

I hope you all did not get welcomed like this when YOU were the new guys.

Quit being such a jerk.

You came here and asked some questions. People (including me) tried to answer them to the best of our ability based on past experience. If you don't like the advice being given, you certainly don't have to take any of it. But acting incredulous over what you are being told is a sure way to never get any help again in the future. Why would anyone bother?

FWIW, I know precisely what installing the BJM and raising the CO levels do to the way the bike runs, and it won't do what you are claiming. Glad you think it does though.

AGKcE.jpg