2009 versus 2005

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermonta

Reaction score
I have a friend that just bought a 2009 Feej. He had a beemer but everytime we rode he wanted to switch and ride mine so he finally got his own. Long story short I loft the front end on mine all the time so when we switched so I could try his new one he wanted me to wheelie it to see if in fact it could. I was very surprised to find that I had to work at bringing the front end up on his and never really did much of a wheel stand. With mine all I have to do is roll on the throttle and hang on but with the 09 nine it did not want to loft at all and yes was broken in when I tried it and I realize the motor will get better over time but it was tough. Any thoughts on why? Did they make some changes through the years? :unsure:

Hands down the 2005 kicks huge arse over the 2009!

That's just me though and I'm a little biased. There are rumors/posts about the FeeJ getting slower in successive years.

I'm sure the Gen2 baby whiners will chime in and make all these lame statements, but be told that the 2005 is far superior. Ask John Ryan.

4672916542_75eccb93f0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The FJR got slightly taller overall gearing and a longer swing arm in 2006, and it's been gaining weight every year. It should be obvious why the taller gearing and weight gain would reduce the ease of wheelies (and overall potential for acceleration), but the longer swing arm might also have an effect that would put more of the wheel's torque to use as forward acceleration rather than lifting the front end of the bike (can anyone prove/disprove this theory?)

I think the simple way to view the Gen 1 versus Gen 2 Sport Tour is. Gen 1 was more sport than tour. Gen 2 more tour than sport. But I also think this is hair splitting!

Hands down the 2005 kicks huge arse over the 2009!
That's just me though and I'm a little biased. There are rumors/posts about the FeeJ getting slower in successive years.

I'm sure the Gen2 baby whiners will chime in and make all these lame statements, but be told that the 2005 is far superior. Ask John Ryan.

4672916542_75eccb93f0.jpg

+1 x a whole bunch!

The FJR got slightly taller overall gearing and a longer swing arm in 2006, and it's been gaining weight every year. It should be obvious why the taller gearing and weight gain would reduce the ease of wheelies (and overall potential for acceleration), but the longer swing arm might also have an effect that would put more of the wheel's torque to use as forward acceleration rather than lifting the front end of the bike (can anyone prove/disprove this theory?)

I thought it was the ball roasting heat forcing the Gen 1 riders WAY back in the seat, therefore causing the front end to be light and the results are more wheelies. Kind of like a sub-conscience effort of your balls to self-protect themselves?

I guess your theory of taller gearing and longer wheelbase is more scientific......

Gen I, stock suspension on soft setting = easy wheelies by just twisting the throttle. Gen I hard suspension = harder to wheelie with just the throttle.

Gen I aftermarket suspension, stiffer spring, soft rebound setting = moderate wheelies with the throttle. Well, actually moderate power lifts of the front wheel. Gen I aftermarket suspension, preload set for less sag than ideal (hard spring), stiff high speed rebound = no wheelies, throttle only.

Longer swing arm: Gen I wheel base 59.6" Gen II wheel base 60.8" This will make it harder to wheelie, throttle only, by a small amount. The change in final drive ratio: Gen I = 2.773 to Gen II = 2.698 will also make it harder to wheelie, throttle only, by a small amount. Gen II extra weight doesn't help either.

The engine will also benefit from more miles too.

Latest posts