2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you interested in the Triumph.... he's still moving.... not very fast, and some of his routing has been, um, interesting, but he is steady, and has not stopped for any appreciable time (long enough suggest a breakdown), so that's all good. He's in the big group in Minn right now...

3_1015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also signed up to follow these nuts. Great fun so far and we have another week to go. Obviously there is a lot of interest in this- the Spotwalla page is on pace for over 250,000 views!

I really like to see the guys that stray from the slab. Not sure if it's a good idea but it's fun to see a rider in the middle of nowhere- DP, 340.

I was going to take the truck up into the woods this weekend but suddenly feel a SS1K coming on.
TOO ironic that subscribing to RIDER magazine changed my life in that it validated that my cycling interests would be greatly enhanced to change from a cruiser to a sport/touring ride. So, I went from a VTX1300 to an ST1300 3 months ago and that lead me to my 1st Moonsine Lunch Run in April. Then I knew I liked riding distance more than any other type of riding, so I just finished reading Ron Ayres book. What great timing to fine out the IBR is happening now and THIS GREAT FORUM helping me/us to feel like we're part of it. THANKS to all of you who are keeping us in the loop.

It sure looked like MEJ and DAR were headed for Lincoln after they we re in Des Moines, and then I assumed they would head south for Topeka, but it looks like they both opted out of going to Lincoln now. MEJ had stopped for awhile so maybe some on the road route updating was taking place.

I got a planning questions for the vets...What is average speed realistically attainable on these legs. An Average of 50 to 60 ? I know my SS1K I averaged about 62.5MPH but that was for just 24 hours, but this is totally different.
it's REALLY different. it's also condition-dependent. western averages can be counted on to generally be higher than eastern ones simply because of eastern population density (and the density of the population, if you know what i mean). setting a target average is a good thing to do but a good rallier will be able to do the numbers in their head to adjust on the fly to changing conditions. which is one of the main reasons why i tend to finish mid pack in most rallies i've ridden; i'm often not the bend-like-a-willow-in-the-wind type.

I'd really like to read a daily diary from an IBR participant.
i can't imagine it happening with anyone seriously riding the rally. they have plenty on their plate already. that's what causes me to shake my head and wonder when i hear about someone committing to a "blog" during the rally. who has time for those distractions?

"PJK" finally reactivated his tracker...made some good distance since. Looks like he picked up St. Paul, only crossed the border for WI, and is now headed down to snag Des Moines.

That means so far he's done-

States: WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, NE(?), SD, ND, MN, WI, (headed for IA)

Capitals: WA, OR, ID, WY(?), SD, ND, MN, (headed for IA)

Interesting...

-snip-

Oh, no, no, no... you have to be referring to someone else; I never said/typed that. I would *suspect* a rather hefty number would dash up to score Blaine, if just to have that in their hip pocket for Legs 2 and 3.

But 90% of the field? Pretty sure that's not accurate, though I do not know the actual number of riders who scarfed up Blaine.

-snip-
You're right. Gone back and corrected it. Wayyyy too early in the morning for me to be posting. Thanks for the correction Matt.
Have you had your coffee yet?

I think you meant, 'Thanks for the correction, Dale'.

Care tire is turning your brain to mush! :p

-snip-

Oh, no, no, no... you have to be referring to someone else; I never said/typed that. I would *suspect* a rather hefty number would dash up to score Blaine, if just to have that in their hip pocket for Legs 2 and 3.

But 90% of the field? Pretty sure that's not accurate, though I do not know the actual number of riders who scarfed up Blaine.

-snip-
You're right. Gone back and corrected it. Wayyyy too early in the morning for me to be posting. Thanks for the correction Matt.

Care tire is turning your brain to mush! :p
To be completely honest...thanks to Dale AND Matt. They both corrected my statement. ;)

-snip-

-snip-

CAR tire is turning your brain to mush! :p
But Skooter, what's your excuse?

-snip-

-snip-

CAR tire is turning your brain to mush! :p
But Skooter, what's your excuse?
Ya beat me to it... :lol:

We are obviously a hot topic here on FJRForum.... lots of guests here.... ;)
Yep. Got me registered (finally) so I could view the pics in the thread. May have even been some consideration of checking out your comments, Dale. <GRIN>

Thanks for the updates. Glad to see the IBR Staff and volunteers doing such a great job - again. Simply amazing.

Jim Bain

IBA # 350

North Myrtle Beach, SC

www.capefear1000.com

FJR Update:

Most of our folks are kicking ass..... Ms Kitty.... DaJuice.... BionicPelvis... all are doing well.

A few seem to be making some pretty unusual routing choices... hope those choices don't come back to bite them on Legs 2 and 3... :unsure:

MTM better kick it in gear. Being at the back of the pack near SW corner of ND at 1pm CDT today is not the place to be when coming in out of the west. This past part of Leg 1 will be the quickest part since posted limits will drop significantly from IL eastward toward CP1.

Hypothetically assuming a target speed of + or - X from the posted limit means those targets start dropping soon.

There were a heck of a lot more than 15 that rode to Blaine. I believe Warchild put the number closer to 90% of the field headed there, and judging by the number of bikes we saw headed back southbound as we headed up I5 towards that corner, I'd say Warchild was right.

There were some excellent arguments by IBR vets I talked to the morning of the Start who described why they are blowing off the 4-Corners altogether. Mostly because of the reasons already provided by IBR vets in this thread:

• later in the rally, we may determine 4800 points may be a piddly amount in the grand scheme of things.
  • if the above is true, that's waaaaaay too many miles for minimal points.
  • as hinted by rally staff, the smart money bets on ever-increasing capital point values later in the rally.
TA pointed out Harrisburg Pa is worth 1000 points. He also mentioned Gold Metal status could be had by doing the 48 plus 4 corners.

I offered a GPS to Sakala's help team but he is set up. When asked how he was she commented he is refreshed after a 8 HOUR rest bonus ! Lot's to speculate.

Yep, it shows up fine me too... here are all riders as of 11:30PDT....

3_1130.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.