2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Dale, thanks for the welcome and yes very much rooting for John and Phil as well as Gerhard who I met during the 2010 Brit Butt Rally.

You're such a tease showing the Spotwalla screen shot saying he's in the middle of the pack….I dashed off to the site to see if I could see John on it, but just remembered he's not on it ......doh !

My family thought I was nuts for doing a SS1k! I'm so glad I got at least that much perspective before getting to follow this!

Really changes things going forward!

Much thanks to everyone involved.

Don't google "Hammered Horsecock". Trust me.

I do trust you... but I'm doing it anyway.

TA pointed out Harrisburg Pa is worth 1000 points. He also mentioned Gold Metal status could be had by doing just (?) the 48 plus 4 corners.

I offered a GPS to Sakala's help team but he is set up. When asked how he was she commented he is refreshed after a 8 HOUR rest bonus ! Lot's to speculate.
More speculation:

Assuming Gold Metal status is points based again this year, does this give us some insight on what future capital point values may be? I would think they could not increase that much or it would negate the value of the 4 corners.

Some might be rightly satisfied with a gold medal and bail on the capitals all together..... if the GM's are awarded to all who make the 4 corners and 48, regardless of point totals?

They typically will detail Gold Medal finisher status after the first leg (or maybe 2nd) aiming at the Top 20-25 finishers. I'm one who's betting point values will be larger in subsequent legs. But, I'll be in the Utah 1088 an no time to watch Thursday to Sunday a.m.

They typically will detail Gold Medal finisher status after the first leg (or maybe 2nd) aiming at the Top 20-25 finishers. I'm one who's betting point values will be larger in subsequent legs. But, I'll be in the Utah 1088 an no time to watch Thursday to Sunday a.m.

Good luck with the 1088!

This is great!! I love all the insight from the veterans.

I'm bumming though as there are many riders coming by me today within 100yds of my office here in Minneapolis and I can't get out and cheer them on.

Perhaps I should take my laptop out to the 694 overpass with a big "WTG Iron Butt Riders" banner with me. :D

Good luck with the 1088!
Gunny!

Yes, goodluck! This year will be your year. :yahoo:

You're such a tease showing the Spotwalla screen shot saying he's in the middle of the pack….I dashed off to the site to see if I could see John on it, but just remembered he's not on it ......doh !
No, no.... he's on it, alright, and doing fine...

But it appears he and most the others are about to hit some gnarley rain and hail..... bet he'll wish he had a fairing soon!!

minnweather.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all for the commentary and strategery. This is my first armchair rally, totally pooched the morning away watching and reading. Going into training when I get back from a bike(pedal type)vacation with she who must be obeyed.

Nice write ups! I'm so excited a co-worker and I decided yesterday to do an IBA ride in August. His first!

Color me lurking and reading for fun.

Day 3 - 5:30pm EDT..... looks like many riders are jumping up and down the I-35 corridor....

3_1530.jpg

I haven't even finished reading Austins daily report and now I run across this thread. I have work to do people! Super bummed I won't be making it out to B-Lo for the checkpoint :-( Is the "Team" thing still in the rules this year?

And Bob Munden joins the pack. Bob riding a UCCC on a Honda 125 has caught up to the rally and is now ahead of several rally riders as he heads for Key West and completion of the smallest motorcycle to complete a UCCC quest. I believe he also completed an "Alaska Insanity" ride from Deadhorse to Hyder. How would you like to be riding The Big Show on a Liter-bike and be passed by Bob on his diminutive, but equally farkled CBR125? Go Bob!

Spotwalla Link https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=2ab64db6c4e16adea

For those who don't know Bob he previously completed a 50CC and Why to Whynot ride on this bike I believe and his previous mount was a 2-stroke 50CC Honda. As they say, different stokes for different folks. IIRC his 50CC bike is now on display at The Barber Motorsports Museum in Leeds, AL. Can the 2013 IBR be in his sights? Hopeless class, I doubt it.

I can see where I will be spending a lot of time over the next week. Thanks to all the FJR members for allowing us transients to pull up a chair while we monitor the madness that is Iron Butt 2011. To all of this year's participants stay safe and enjoy the ride. Thanks to Warchild for keeping us all up to date. If I had more time and money I would love to throw my hat in the ring for this. I have done lots of 1000+ mile days but I don't know if I have the stuff that these folks are made of. In the meantime I love being able to follow along from my easy chair.

I can see where I will be spending a lot of time over the next week. Thanks to all the FJR members for allowing us transients to pull up a chair while we monitor the madness that is Iron Butt 2011. To all of this year's participants stay safe and enjoy the ride. Thanks to Warchild for keeping us all up to date. If I had more time and money I would love to throw my hat in the ring for this. I have done lots of 1000+ mile days but I don't know if I have the stuff that these folks are made of. In the meantime I love being able to follow along from my easy chair.
In your heart, you KNOW you could win this thing.....

:)

Yup....

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie to this forum, but am fast discovering it is THE place for updates - THANK YOU to everyone who is posting.

Any info on how John Young, FazerPhil and Gerhard are doing is greatly appreciated.

GO JOHN GO..........

I was a bit dissapointed when I read about the team decision. He has everything going for Him to be a very good finisher without a partner. Wish I knew His spot...

Robert,

Email me at [email protected] and I can help you with the info you are looking for.

BTW, I was also a bit disappointed to hear he was riding as a team. He has the tools to do well all by himself... but I know that "teaming up" for big rides is his self proclaimed "special purpose" in the LD riding community.

Chad Smith,

Tucson, AZ

IBA#31013

Status
Not open for further replies.