2011 IBR - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 3 - 5:30pm EDT..... looks like many riders are jumping up and down the I-35 corridor....

3_1530.jpg
Tell me..

Why do I feel like I am a the carnival trying to squirt water in the clown's mouth to make the ballon pop? I want to see these guys and gals do well. I feel like the guy spending way too much time trying to win the cheap ass carnival prize.

These folks are in the IRON BUTT, I'm on the plastic keyboard.

So is any body else getting any work done?

Tom Austin's latest report is out. Sounds like Meese is pulling a hell of a ride and will have a hell of a leg 1. Will he have some juice in the tank left for the rest of the rally?

So it may have been a geeky thing to do, but the capital is right on my way home, and SPOTwalla showed two riders on the outskirts of the DM metro as I was leaving work, so I stopped up to say "Ride Safe". Shook hands with Steve on his K1200 and Bob on his 'Wing. They arrived within 5 minutes of each other. Both looking focused, and in good spirits, even if slightly damp. Told them there's a lot of folks watching on-line. As Steve said: "Looks pretty easy from there, doesn't it?"

Golly, Beaver, it was like meetin' movie stars or sumpin'!

My photos from the IBR start are up. There's quite a few of our fellow Feejer riders. If you can identify the unknown FJR pilots let me know (by PM please) and I'll add their names. LINK TO SLIDESHOW

Last edited by a moderator:
Previous Hyder experience?

I *suspect* that the three that went for it had been there before? Don't know for sure though. I suspect Meese has been there, anyone know if the other two have been on any other rally, hyder-seek or anything else?

Seems to me having that previous experience would have been invaluable.

Previous Hyder experience?

I *suspect* that the three that went for it had been there before? Don't know for sure though. I suspect Meese has been there, anyone know if the other two have been on any other rally, hyder-seek or anything else?

Seems to me having that previous experience would have been invaluable.
Paul and Vonnie Glaves were just in Hyder a few days earlier and that intelligence did not go unused.

Just got off the phone with Greg Guillermo. He's in good spirits. He was pretty sick of being constantly wet for the last day or so, but has been drying out for a while now. Problem is, he is getting caught up in the I-29 closures and detours. He is in the Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Missouri area and on a detour from hell. He is having trouble figuring out a way to get west back over the river and snag Nebraska and Kansas. Though a bit frustrated from eating up several hours on these detours, he is enjoying the ride on the rural two-lanes in the heartland. He was blown away when he came across a huge Kawasaki plant in the middle of nowhere in Maryvale, MO.

Don't even discuss his non arrival with me. I had Mark Reis go over "Susan's FJR" and it was just sitting in the garage waiting for a rider

V-1, Ohlins, 478, hydration system. No Aux lights but then Paul likes to ride behind other riders at night so they can hit the animals for him

Watt 310

Paul Allison, mah Brudder... glad you are here! And what the fuck is wrong with you, mate, not being in the event this year?! :blink:
I had been hoping to use some pansy assed excuse about my nightvision not being up to it anymore; but then I discovered that one had already been taken. The only thing I can think of now is plain old fashioned weakness of character.

Cheers,

P.

Sounds like Meese is pulling a hell of a ride and will have a hell of a leg 1.
If any of the Hyder riders make the checkpoint in time and are in condition to start leg 2, it will be an epic ride. The minstrels will sing about it.

But I'm having a great deal of trouble reconciling my notion that Ken Meese knows as much about winning LD rallies than nearly any other human being, with what seems to me to be an obvious conclusion that getting both the Hyder and the 4 corners bonus is impossible, and that the 4-corners option leaves much more leeway for capital bagging. What am I missing?

Could it actually be possible to do the 49 states AND 4 corners in the rally? All while not get snake bit by the high value of several of the state capitals that non-Hyder riders will be able to use to erode the apparent 4800 point advantage?

This is serious popcorn munching entertainment.

So is any body else getting any work done?
No. Productivity is about zero. Esp since you can toggle between weather, SPOT, IBA, and a couple of other forums (not like ours though).

Wait until it's over and you find yourself sitting at your desk and wondering what to do. Not unkike John Ryan's epic ride :D

BTW, what the heck happened to T_H? I had him/her in my notes at the beginning as a front runner.

Trigger?

Just got off the phone with Greg Guillermo. He's in good spirits. He was pretty sick of being constantly wet for the last day or so, but has been drying out for a while now. Problem is, he is getting caught up in the I-29 closures and detours. He is in the Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Missouri area and on a detour from hell. He is having trouble figuring out a way to get west back over the river and snag Nebraska and Kansas. Though a bit frustrated from eating up several hours on these detours, he is enjoying the ride on the rural two-lanes in the heartland. He was blown away when he came across a huge Kawasaki plant in the middle of nowhere in Maryvale, MO.

I wondered about that in looking at the base route that was provided. If there are no bridges open between Omaha and St. Joe, it's going to be hard to quickly bag those states without a lot of backtracking.

Is it just me or does the SpotWalla page not seem to be operating properly? Looks like none of them have moved very far in the past couple of hours and I know this not to be true. :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.